Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clearwire and debt collection agency issues

Options
  • 21-05-2007 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

Is it Intrum Justitia by any chance? They are a notorious shower of cowboys and will have goons banging on your door soon. If Clearwire have sold the debt on to them then you'll need to get a hold of somene in Clearwire to sort it out, IJ will continue to come after you until the company that hired them says otherwise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

it is indeed and have rang clearwire 3 times to be told they very busy and will get back to me .one guy said i wont have to pay it all the montly direct debits for the 12 month contract went out as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Don't let them fob you off with that "very busy" crap. Ask to speak to a supervisor and get it sorted there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

i got one of these today. i left clearwire in march 2006, they took the modem back and stopped taking direct debits from my account. so 14 months pass and I get a letter from a debt collection company in the post for almost 300 euro. rang clearwire and apparantly the system they use to "check my account" is not working today and they will have to ring me back tomorrow, was a supervisor who told me this.

god damnit, this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

excuse my french but....THE W@NKERS have sent me a bill for 89e through the company also.
    i had a few dealings with them because the service was crap and i was told if i returned modem they would cancel contract
    i stupidly did whats was asked but lost the reciept for the modem i got when i returned it. ave had lots of calls from them looking for it back and hence thats why there billing me when i never even had a modem(was going to say a service but u cant call it that ffs)
    gonna ring them tomorrow and see what the story is.i'm not paying them under any circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i think its Joe Duffy time!

Guys call RTE up! they'd love a scoope like this! They gave NTL a good roasting recently!

worth a try!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Definitely ring I'd say, that's evil!

Glad I never got Clearwire. A friend has them, hope he doesn't get this crap from them.

6 calls later and im still on hold they are a crap overpriced company

god dam them now this one eventually answered we owe 49.95 as bill was issued before the modem was returned in the next breath she tells me they never got the modem.i did return it in the original packing but never got receipt of postage as post office was mad busy.not a single cent will they get off me.she said she will get onto it and email me next week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 roomwithaskew

I didn't notice this thread when I posted about this
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055096300

I'm at work so don't have the time to ring clearwire but I rang the debt collection agency and told them I don't owe anything.

Clearwire are a horrible company to deal with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If any of you consider that this related to the direct debit system in any i.e. clearwire misusing it try to contact the person in charge of direct debits at www.ipso.ie they are in charge of the dd system.
    Irish Payment Services Organisation (IPSO) Ltd.
    12-13 Cumberland Street
    Dun Laoghaire
    Co. Dublin.
    Ph: 00353 1 6636740

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

dub45 wrote:
    If any of you consider that this related to the direct debit system in any i.e. clearwire misusing it try to contact the person in charge of direct debits at www.ipso.ie they are in charge of the dd system.

nice one dub45,dosen't apply to me but i hope it helps the other guys that have deal with the cr@p from clear/muddywire.

It might also be worth contacting the director of consumer affairs and seeing if they can offer any advice on this type of stuff.

Anyone not getting any satisfaction on the phone should write to them by registered post immediately - dont let them fob you off and dont let time go by.

As someone else has suggested copy all correspondence to the Joe Duffy show while some of the journalists who write on consumer affairs in the various national newspapers might also be interested in this behaviour.

Keep a paper record of all your dealings with them - memo telephone calls get the name of anyone you speak to on the phone.

Well at least we know what broadband the American way is!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭depadz

got one of thes ethe other day despite cancelling bb a few months back after having it for a couple of years (so had no contact outstanding).

Got through to finance and they were apologetic and said that they'd get IJ to send out another letter confirming that credit not affected etc.

took me numerous calls to get tru to finance.it seems alot of letters were sent by mistake from IJ on instruction from clearwire.i rang IJ today and my account has been put on hold.so im still in the dark and getting more annoyed by the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Got the same letter last week myself. Rang CW and they said that a large number of customers details had been sent over to Intrum Justitia in error and that they would send me a letter confirming this was a mistake. Rang IJ and they said account is on hold pending further confirmation of this mistake from CW.
    At the time that I cancelled CW, they actually refunded money into my account so there's no debt...sounds like a pretty big error on CW's part. Might be worth getting in contact with the regulator about this, don't like the idea of so many ex customers details in the hands of a debt collection agency

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

just got the same letter,

i started with them in September 2005 and when there service went to hell they said i could cancel my contract with them (as they agreed that they had broken there terms and conditions by not giving me satisfactory service). I returned the modem and cancelled my direct debit in February 06. Today i pick up a letter from these shower of c*nts. Gonna rip into someone in Clearwire on Monday. Absolute shower of thieving c*nts! Looking for 308 euro off of me! Gonna threaten to report them to Comreg over there service and National Consumers Agency. These guys are a complete sham of a company!

postie wrote:
    Got the same letter last week myself. Rang CW and they said that a large number of customers details had been sent over to Intrum Justitia in error and that they would send me a letter confirming this was a mistake. Rang IJ and they said account is on hold pending further confirmation of this mistake from CW.
    At the time that I cancelled CW, they actually refunded money into my account so there's no debt...sounds like a pretty big error on CW's part. Might be worth getting in contact with the regulator about this, don't like the idea of so many ex customers details in the hands of a debt collection agency

My advice for anyone being told this is to request a written confirmation of this error and an apology. Dont just accept verbal apologies. They are so mindbogglingly incompetent to have allowed such a thing to happen that you could not rely on them for anything at this stage.

I would be telling them that I wanted a written apology immediately or the next stop will be my solicitor and or the Joe Duffy show and the rest of the media. I would also be making clear to the not so clearwire crowd that I would be reporting any further contact in any shape or form with debt collectors as harassment and would be reporting the matter to the Gardai.

It is important to be focussed in any dealings with Clearwire in relation to this - dont rant and rave stay cool and make sure you know what you want from them going on the phone and its not verbal stuff - get it in writing from them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

dub45 wrote:
    My advice for anyone being told this is to request a written confirmation of this error and an apology. Dont just accept verbal apologies. They are so mindbogglingly incompetent to have allowed such a thing to happen that you could not rely on them for anything at this stage.

I would be telling them that I wanted a written apology immediately or the next stop will be my solicitor and or the Joe Duffy show and the rest of the media. I would also be making clear to the not so clearwire crowd that I would be reporting any further contact in any shape or form with debt collectors as harassment and would be reporting the matter to the Gardai.

It is important to be focussed in any dealings with Clearwire in relation to this - dont rant and rave stay cool and make sure you know what you want from them going on the phone and its not verbal stuff - get it in writing from them!!!

Dub45 is right. I asked them last week for a written confirmation from them and IJ that their letter is in error and they agreed to this.

It is up to CW to instruct IJ to issue that letter. If I do not receive this letter by Friday the matter is being handed over to my company solicitor as I don't believe that arguing over the phone will sort anything out.

This mistake could blacken both mine and my company's credit record which is unacceptable.
    They are being given one chance to sort this out with me and after that they can sort it out with our solicitor.

I'd record phone calls so you have a record that they admitted they were at fault and would issue a letter so that if they don't, you have evidence that they said they'd do it and that they were in the wrong.

Make sure your credit record is restored too given they do everything half-arsed, you should make sure they have done it.

If they took measure this harsh against you, you owe them nothing and their stupidity knows no bounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

wow! what a complete and utterly incapable company!

After finally getting around to contacting clearwire this morning (damn work keeping me busy). I was told that nothing was owed on my account and my details were 'accidentally' sent to the Debt Collection agency.

I loved this one, apparently the quoted account ID on the debt collection agencies letter wasn't even mine! WTF?

Clearwire representative apologised profusely and said her manager would be sending a further notice out regarding this.

I demanded a copy of my current credit history, which they can go and obtain for me and a written apology, doubt i'll get either.

Just to be sure, rang the debt collection agency too... apparently clearwire has withdrawn/frozen all requests that the agency was handling.

all i can say is WOW... that is ineptitude in it's highest form... :rolleyes:

Here I go again - don't accept any apologies over the phone as being sufficient demand a written explanation and an apology - if they are so careless and so mindbogglingly incompetent who is to say that this will not happen again. At least with a written apology you have something substantial to 'hold on to'.

As the famous man never said 'Telephone apologies are not worth the paper they are written on'.

Is there any way this thread could be made a sticky to warn prospective Clearwire customers of what they may be letting themselves in for? No company that is so careless about inflicting the misery of debt collectors on its customers (not to mention customers who are fully paid up!!!) deserves any support whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Got mine during the week for 134, same story as most cancelled last year as they were providing the service stated and they said fine after about 2 months of test and crap(yeh right)

Will ring them monday.

By the by how could affect your credit rating and how do we make sure it doesnt.

This isnt a company is a group of thieves and scum.
    I feel sorry for any genuine person who works for them.

Also, would this be a case for COMREG?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

comreg , national consumers agency and the fraud squad. threatening people to get money from them is illegal.

have IJ refunded everybody from whom clearwire got them to extort money ???

Any chance of changing the title of the thread to 'Clearwire and Debt Collection agency' or something like that - one or two people with the letters seem to be missing it.

we are in the clear got a letter from IJ today saying tha account is closed and no money was owing.i had emailed clearcrap during the week and guess what no reply and also no email telling me it was all sorted.wont be 2 surprised if i get a bill from them again.hope others get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dub45 wrote:
    Any chance of changing the title of the thread to 'Clearwire and Debt Collection agency' or something like that - one or two people with the letters seem to be missing it.

Aye. Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

car39 wrote:
    we are in the clear got a letter from IJ today saying tha account is closed and no money was owing.i had emailed clearcrap during the week and guess what no reply and also no email telling me it was all sorted.wont be 2 surprised if i get a bill from them again.hope others get it sorted

You still need to check that your credit rating is intact.
    It will cost you money to do this, so you should ask clearwire for the money.
    This is very serious and could prevent you getting loans etc in the future.

too good to be true got a call from clearwire saying they cant close the account cos they want the modem back.told them it was returned firswt week in march and that IJ said the account with them was closed,absolute shower of p***ks..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hi Guys. Interesting thread this. Only came across it today. Even though one of the lads in work had this problem a few weeks ago. I linked him to this thread and he was amazed so many others are/were having the same problem as him. So he fired off a email to Joe Duffy today, here is the email
    Hello Joe,

I would like to bring to your attention the latest scam by telecom and debt collection agencies. I little over a year ago I had a Clearwire technician come to my apartment in Ballsbridge to test the reception for their wireless internet service. I was left with the modem for two days to see how things went, unfortunately I wasn’t getting any reception and therefore no internet. The technician came back took the modem away and that was the last of that…..or so I thought. Last month I received a letter in the mail from Intrum Justitia stating that I had a debt of €297.91 for unpaid services during my time with Clearwire. I was stunned, especially because I wasn’t ever really with Clearwire, I just had a test period of 2 days. I called up the debt agency informing them that this must be an error due to fact that I never had an account with Clearwire. I was then told to contact Clearwire to get this sorted out. The next day I called up Clearwire and apparently what happened was that my name was mistakenly sent in a batch of names to Intrum Justitia. Only this week did I get another letter from Intrum Justitia telling me that I no longer owe €297.91 and that my credit rating has not been affected.

Today I was on the discussion website www.boards.ie and to my amazement found a thread discussing this very issue with Clearwire. It would seem that many people have been wrongly issued with a letter of debt owing to Clearwire and that for some people they think their credit rating has been affected.

I am not sure if this is something you may want to bring up on your show but if you would like then please go ahead.

FYI – the link to the discussion forum is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095684

Kind Regards,

Hopefully this will bring some much needed attention to this matter. As ClearWire are in the wrong here.
    With any luck we will have some type of reply from Joe Duffy by monday!

Advertisement