Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New build LAN wiring question

• 21-05-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

as galwaytt said MK do the modular systems but they're very expensive
    and unless your going to use MK throughout the house you'll notice the differnent sockets

i used two single boxes side by side one for the coax (2) (CT100) the other for the RJ45 CAT6 X 2... on the "main" rooms 4 Coax (CT125) with the CAT6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

De_man wrote:
    i used two single boxes side by side one for the coax (2) (CT100) the other for the RJ45 CAT6 X 2... on the "main" rooms 4 Coax (CT125) with the CAT6

...and don't forget to give the electrician these specs for the coax or you could end up with some cheap crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,284 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont think this is really the right forum - Cable & DTV may be a better option but I will leave it for now to see what replies are forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

muffler, actually I think this is the place - if it doesn't get covered in planning your house, it's a bit too late after you've moved in.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

galwaytt wrote:
    muffler, actually I think this is the place - if it doesn't get covered in planning your house, it's a bit too late after you've moved in.........

Planning your house in this instance has nothing to do with where the cables are positioned. Planning here, means related to planning law/applications. Your County Council would hardly be looking for the positon of the cables would they? I'm going to move this to a more relevant forum.

/edit. Moved to Home Entertainment - General unless the mods think otherwise.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maplin have a range of modular wall plates also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

sesswhat wrote:
    ...and don't forget to give the electrician these specs for the coax or you could end up with some cheap crap.

Wud you mind giving a little more info on the coax specs? I presume one is better quality etc? Why would you use 2 different specs?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CT100 is the standard spec for satellite installations. Some electricians tend to use the cheaper RG6 which isn't suitable for satellite, or even worse, that single screen rubbish.

I think all coaxial used should be CT100, whether it's for satellite or terrestrial signals. CT125 is a higher grade than CT100. You could also use QF100, which is similar but foam-filled, so less prone to kinking.

The same cables might come under different codes, like W109F, WC100, WF100, etc. What you'd look out for is copper braiding and copper foil.

Advertisement