Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinstalling Vista.... activation`

• 21-05-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I recently installed Vista Home Premium OEM and activated it bout maybe 2 months ago, but since got new mobo and for it to work** I had to reinstall vista, this was yesterday..
    Right, I understand whole saga with OEM's but....
    I haven't activated under new installation yet. I have ordered new OEM vista home premium from Komplett and plan to use that activation key on current unactivated installation rather than reinstall for third time in 2 months.
    Is this possible?
    Cheers for the help guys

** Old chipset was Intel whereas new chipset is NVidia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hey guys,
    I recently installed Vista Home Premium OEM and activated it bout maybe 2 months ago, but since got new mobo and for it to work** I had to reinstall vista, this was yesterday..
    Right, I understand whole saga with OEM's but....
    I haven't activated under new installation yet. I have ordered new OEM vista home premium from Komplett and plan to use that activation key on current unactivated installation rather than reinstall for third time in 2 months.
    Is this possible?
    Cheers for the help guys

** Old chipset was Intel whereas new chipset is NVidia
    If the online activation fails on your current copy, and it probably will, just ring the free phone number and they'll activate it manually.
    No need for a new copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hmmm my thoughts exactly a week ago...
    I thought there was a clause that said if I had a faulty mobo I could replace it and get a free activation code but.. apparently not.
    When using OEM you have to be a registered system builder according to TWO of microsoft UK employees I was speaking to..
    My hate list has two new people on it :mad: :D

I think you must have given the too much information or rang the wrong number:) Did you call the number shown on your screen after the failed activation?
    I do it all the time and never had a problem. The registered system builder thing is crap when it comes to repairs and only refers to who should be able to purchase OEM versions.

Really.....because you could save me a hundred quid here!!
    Right I bypassed whole online thing, got number online (1850 number)
    and rang their service desk and explained my mobo failed and played dumb- I let them explain to me what OEM was! So to me it seemed that Microsoft changed their stance on OEM systems??
    When was the last time you re-activated??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The phone number to call is displayed on the manual activation screen when you select your country.

Use the toll free number and go through the auto phone system will ask you a a bunch questions.

If you do it right you basically tell it the pre-installed OEM system failed, reason for replacing mainboard, same computer not new install then finally they will put you through to a rep who knows all the details you just selected & then asks to confirm that it's the same computer etc and will proceed with the activation.

Just did that this last Sunday.

• Advertisement

Auto phone? Rep with sense? Toll-free number?
    Who the hell was I talking to then??!!
    8T8 PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not sure what your missing it's fairly straight forward.

After Vista installs
    Go to control panel\system
    Click on activate Windows (it's at the bottom of that window)
    Screen will come up & attempt to activate over net - will fail saying key already in use
    Select activate by phone
    Pick your country will get two phone numbers
    Call toll free to use automated system or call toll number to get option to speak directly to a rep.

If you call the toll number and choose the speak to a rep option just tell them the motherboard failed and was replaced it is the same computer that is trying to be activated & they will do it.

If you call the toll free number then you will go through an automated phone system which will ask you questions basically pointing out the same story as above, motherboard failed on your pre-installed copy of Windows and need to re-activate & that it's same computer as before, at the end you will be connected to a rep to confirm the options you selected and get the activation code.

That's all there is to it you don't have to give any more details over the phone than that.

Ok will give it a try, thanks lads.
    Will let you know how I got on!

Okay it's evident I rang the wrong number!!
    The initial 1850 number I rang they very seriously pointed out the fact that I cannot re activate whereas the Dublin number I rang didn't seem to care???!!
    Happy days! Success.
    Thanks guys you saved me quite a few bob!

Good stuff.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So to me it seemed that Microsoft changed their stance on OEM systems??
    No their stance was that it was tied to the motherboard and died with it, with the sole exception of a motherboard replaced by the PC manufacturer under warranty.
    It never covered motherboards replaced by the user or upgrades or third party ones.

Advertisement