Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to send the log book

Options
  • 21-05-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

I've just sold a car that was registered before 1993. According to a couple of sites I have to send the log book (the old brownish one that shows all the previous owners) and RF200 form to the local tax office. Is this correct? I'm in north Co Dublin, so would Chancery House count as my local motor tax office?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

blastman wrote:
    I've just sold a car that was registered before 1993. According to a couple of sites I have to send the log book (the old brownish one that shows all the previous owners) and RF200 form to the local tax office. Is this correct? I'm in north Co Dublin, so would Chancery House count as my local motor tax office?

Thanks.

I'd say give them a ring first to clarify before doing anything.

My understanding was that the DOE in Shannon, Co Clare looked after all car registrations these days. I'm not sure what the process is for pre 1993 cars though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

That's where i got the info from, kbannon, so Chancery House it is, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

when you send the log book for a post 93 car to shannon,how long does it take for the new owner to get it back?would need it asap to be able to contact insurance company then (require a copy of it)

Why do the insurance company require a copy of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Spipov wrote:
    when you send the log book for a post 93 car to shannon,how long does it take for the new owner to get it back?would need it asap to be able to contact insurance company then (require a copy of it)
    Normally the new registration document is returned within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

BTW Chancery House is no longer in use !

They moved up the road, cant remeber the address though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

blastman wrote:
    Why do the insurance company require a copy of it?

its insurance abroad, none irish :) policies are different

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Spipov wrote:

Usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks depending on how busy they are.

MercMad wrote:
    BTW Chancery House is no longer in use !

They moved up the road, cant remeber the address though !
    The new address is Block B, Blackhall Walk, Queen St, D 7. That's where I sent it, hopefully that's right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Registered before 01-01-1993 = Send to local motor tax office with RF200 form. Usually takes between 3-5 days, depending on the time of month. (Try sending it in the middle of the month - it'll be a bit faster)

Registered after 01-01-93 (incl. those registered abroad before 93 and imported after, thereby having a pre-93 reg plate) = Send completed VLC or Registration Cert to VRU in Shannon. Usually takes anything from 3/4 days to 3/4 weeks, depending on the time of month, time of year, and how much people lie to you when they say, "Yep, yep... I definately sent that in... I sent it weeks ago... I swear") If you but from a garage, uou might find some of them will accumulate a number of these before sending them off = cheaper postage for them but longer wait for you.

Tommy.

Advertisement