Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New boy racer habit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

My good god!, what is wrong with everyone!, a new craze, I think not, biscuit tins are some of the objects that have been used, theres also been hub caps(they melt) and proper skid plates made out of 10mm steel,
    and as was already said not everyone who drives a modified car is a boy racer, people who put alot of money into their cars wouldnt be bothered risking damaging their cars by doing something so stupid, BUT thats the problem with this country,
    "oh, hes young, hes male, he has certain pieces of anatomy, and slightly tinted windows and a stock set of alloys and spoiler, well that MUST mean that hes a BOY RACER"...NO!, it doesnt, it means he probably doesnt drink or smoke and spends his money on his car insurance instead because of the pure clowns as mentioned above, I dont think its fair the way people (particularly older people) look at younger drivers today, and thats partly the reason that the insurance quotes are ridiculous, rediculous to the tune of 2500 euro for third party fire and theft,
    and as for the noise, does that mean that every time the local GAA club play a match down the road from my house and the crowd roars they should be sent off to the middle of the bog, i dont think so, if your gonna complain, complain to the gardai

RANT OVER;)

I'm not really getting what you are trying to say here. Your obviously confused, you say its a silly thing to do and you defend the niose pollution by comparing it to a GAA match "down the road" from your house.

Maybe they are spending 2500 Euro on insurance because they known to drive around car parks with tins under their back tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

ye, when i started i was kind of defending it, but then as it developed i realised that its the reason why my insurance is so high, basically, i dont have a problem with what there doing, what i do have a problem with is that they are the reason that the insurance is so high, because people see these clowns and immediately think that any young male driving a car is the same,
    the thing about the noise turned out wrong, and my net crashed so i couldnt edit it, so il do it hear
    basically, noise is the least of the problem, the problem is that word will get out that the said car park is the "place to be" and then more and more will turn up, basically getting louder and louder, and giving the place a bad name, it happened in my town and resulted in barriers being put up in most big car parks to prevent it happening, maybe you should go complain to the car park owners/gardai
    im not even goin to try and explain what my last post was all about, because i honestly couldnt tell you:o
    Maybe they are spending 2500 Euro on insurance because they known to drive around car parks with tins under their back tyres.
    that wouldnt be too bad, the problem begins where the rest of us, non biscuit tin skating and sensible drivers are being charged that too, because of a car park activity

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's very stupid and not at all new. Also, just because they have racershaven (or any other modified car website) doesn't mean that the site members support these muppets. A lot of these twats have never even been to the site and just beg people for them.

I'm on racershaven, www.midnightclub.ie (even got the window stickers :rolleyes:) and haven't once farted about on trays. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

and as was already said not everyone who drives a modified car is a boy racer, people who put alot of money into their cars wouldnt be bothered risking damaging their cars by doing something so stupid, BUT thats the problem with this country,
    "oh, hes young, hes male, he has certain pieces of anatomy, and slightly tinted windows and a stock set of alloys and spoiler, well that MUST mean that hes a BOY RACER"...NO!, it doesnt, it means he probably doesnt drink or smoke and spends his money on his car insurance instead because of the pure clowns as mentioned above

If this really is the case and we are all just being predjudiced against people with modified cars, why is it that whenever you here of something like this, its never "I saw some 50 year old guy in an Eclass doin this crazy sh** in a car park" or even " I saw this young nipper in a fiat panda..............". The fact is, more often thatn not, it is young men in modified cars. While you may argue that not all are like that then yes perhaps its a case of not all kids with modified cars are boy racers, but all boy racers have modified cars.

I say "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is an effing duck"!!!
    :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

PoleStar wrote:
    "I saw some 50 year old guy in an Eclass doin this crazy sh** in a car park" or even " I saw this young nipper in a fiat panda..............". The fact is, more often thatn not, it is young men in modified cars.

In fairness, the stories I hear from people when they first drove 30 years ago is scary. Driving around with 10 people in a morris minor no seatbelts, locked and speeding around the place. The difference being, its gets alot more publicity these days. More younger people drive now than ever before, so there will always be more and more knobs doing stuff like that. Not to harp on about a topic that has been discussed a thousand times already, but there are muppets out there doing stupid things. They get the attention. Same as the way Romanians were perceived as being pickpockets and thieves. If its all you heard about, its what you assumed to be across the board! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

You don't need a modded car to act the mick and to say all boy racers have modified cars, well that's just not plausable at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

ned78 wrote:
    No offence intended, but the majority of idiots tearing around Cork on a Thursday night with their 'Windows down, system up', sport racershaven stickers on their rear side windows.
    Ya, far worse to be driving around town on a friday night then drinking yourself into oblivion, then starting a fight outside hillbillies?:rolleyes: Just because someone owns a modified car, or likes to drive around in it, does not make them a boy racer or a muppet. Clowns putting trays under the back wheels of their car, or act the idiot around town are giving everyone a bad name. Have the guys driving around town caused you any harm? Some are bound to be idiots, yes but you get those in all aspects of life. I know a good few of them and they are down to earth, genuine lads that live for cars.

I don't go around calling every football fan a soccer thug, so don't generalise all modified car owners as "boy racers". Also, try actually visiting a website and seeing what its like before you slate it. On the other hand, racershaven seems to have a shortage on high horses at the moment so maybe some people from this forum could come over?:rolleyes: :D

@Polestar, did you ever see a merc being driven dangerously by a 50 year old? Cause I've seen plenty of older men and women blitzing along the road and tailgating in expensive cars. But they are old, so its ok. Lets go lynch the young driver instead for the actions of a small minded minority........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sorry Astraboy, I'm not generalising - I'm calling it like I see it. In Cork, there is a culture of driving your car very slowly at about 10mph to give yourself room, and then floor it, making as much noise as possible, and exceeding the speed limit. And the majority of these cars have the racershaven stickers. God help someone who actually is drunk, or even hard of hearing, on a Friday night stepping out from between parked cars in front of these idiots.

I'm a car enthusiast too, and I enjoy driving my car through the city, but there's a difference between driving, and anti-social/down right dangeous behaviour.

ned78 wrote:
    Sorry Astraboy, I'm not generalising - I'm calling it like I see it. In Cork, there is a culture of driving your car very slowly at about 10mph to give yourself room, and then floor it, making as much noise as possible, and exceeding the speed limit. And the majority of these cars have the racershaven stickers.

I'm a car enthusiast too, and I enjoy driving my car through the city, but there's a difference between driving, and anti-social/down right dangeous behaviour.
    I get your meaning man, I see these people too. I do think, and I am also generalizing here, that you can judge someone by the state of their car. If its a dirty civic with a guy with a baseball cap at 45 degrees driving it and bumpers hanging off, the car probably reflects the way its been driven. On the other hand, I see guys with old and new cars just going for a spin around town and the cars are immaculate. These people have real pride in their cars and hate even having to go over speed bumps! Like I said, most of the guys are very friendly, and if they see someone acting the muppet they have no time for them either. Accelerating hard in traffic is a typical poser move!

If you go onto racershaven, most of the threads regarding messing end up with the OP getting slagged off for giving the car scene a bad name.

Exactly, there's a hell of a difference between an enthusiast and a scumbag. I had a young lad in a 'Glanza' behind me on the link today, flashing headlights for me to get out of the way, slung back in his seat, with a clone of himself in the passenger seat. So I did the decent thing, pulled into the left lane, and watched his ball of sh*t tear past at 100mph. And it would have been very very tempting to leave him for dead, but you're only fostering stupidity then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ned78 wrote:
    So I did the decent thing, pulled into the left lane

*sigh*

How decent of you to obey the law that says to get out of the overtaking lane when you're not overtaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

lightening wrote:
    I didn't mention, this car park is outside my house. There is modified car owners in there every day doing burn outs and hand brake turns. This is bad enough, but the tins under the tyres is out of order, the noise is really loud. You wouldn't fancy it outside your house. As mentioned before the lack of control is dangerous, these are all pretty young fellas, they are inexperienced drivers.

In the interest of fairness, it's not just the mid pubescent that get up to this kind of thing.

Stark wrote:
    *sigh*

How decent of you to obey the law that says to get out of the overtaking lane when you're not overtaking!

Hey buddy, were you there to see the conditions? Don't assume someone was sitting in the overtaking lane for the hell of it. I was overtaking someone else at the time. But I decided to slow down, pull into the left lane, let the lunatic pass, and then go back to overtaking the rest of the cars in the left lane at a reasonable speed.

Stark wrote:
    *sigh*

So what your saying is in rush hour traffic no one should be in the outside lane in the M50?

Oh and btw did you not read the bit where he said the Glanza overtook him at 100mph? So your saying thats ok?

An again I have to say while many have replied and said not all kids with modified cars are boyr racers, no one has yet to explain why the only ones you ever see doing the fast accelation already mentioned, and revving engines and speeding like the chap said down in Cork, why is it that the people that do these things all seem to be in modified cars? Hence my statement, not all modders are boy racers but all boy racers are modders!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

PoleStar wrote:
    Oh and btw did you not read the bit where he said the Glanza overtook him at 100mph? So your saying thats ok?

Subjective judgement. Everyone uses hyperbole when describing the speed of cars that overtake them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

"Doctor" Clarkson remarked in the Sunday times last weekend that sales of Max Power were 210,000 copies in 2003, now they are down to 44,000. I'd say in a couple of years time a lot of the gang who are into modified cars will have given up,I think its just a phase young people are going through, like there was a time when everyone went on Ratemyteachers.ie, now who talks about it? In a few years time, there will only be the select few into the craze. Apparantly the craze is on the wane across the pond(Jeremy implied that it was more than on the wane last Sunday), and I'm sure we'll follow suit in a short while, assuming that to be true. There was a time only 2 or 3 years ago when the Impreza Turbo could be seen everywhere(and usually unmodified too),and modified cars were not in abundance. Now the Impreza Turbo is a rare sight(and I mean the proper one, and not the ugly duckling of the WRX) are modified cars are in abundance. I agree with ned78, in Cork its very common to see people in modified cars go along at about 5 mph once say the traffic lights go green for a few seconds, aqnd they are going incredibly slowly, then the next thing there is a turbo whoosh and then the modded car is now at 40 or 50 mph.

PoleStar wrote:
    Hence my statement, not all modders are boy racers but all boy racers are modders!

Can't say I agree with you here. I've seen plenty of young males drive like lunatics in their families cars, or a car that has not been modified. True, the sterotype is far more fun when the person has a modified corsa as its both easier to pick out of the regular standard cars and makes the sterotype more interesting. I would class a "boy racer" as any male that drives or behaves in an anti social manner in a car. Some, in fact quite a lot consider themsleves "modders" but their taste in many cases leaves something to be desired, their cars looking like they drove through the window of Halfords and drove out with everything stuck on!:D But not all boy racers drive modified cars. In fact, the drivers that are most restrained are the guys in their 30's with powerful cars.
    They know there is a time and place and that they have nothing to prove, so they are happy to drive around without any fuss and try not to attract attention.

Stark wrote:
    Subjective judgement. Everyone uses hyperbole when describing the speed of cars that overtake them.

I certainly don't think I was using hyperbole. I'm well used to judging speeds, and relative speeds, and from my 70mph stead, this guy was doing at least 1.5 times my speed using the VASCAR principle to see what ratio of speed he was doing, compared to mine.

astraboy wrote:
    their cars looking like they drove through the window of Halfords and drove out with everything stuck on!:D

If there was a competition for post of the week on boards, this would be it. Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

lightening wrote:
    I was in a carpark outside a North Dublin park. There was a few modified car owners and young fellas in their ma's cars. They were putting what looked like biscuit tin lids or metal cooking trays under the back tyres, putting the handbrakes on and driving around the carpark fishtailing all over the place.

Looked gas, probably really dangerous and made a noise like the end of the world.

Wouldn't it be more straightforward just to fit a set of Nankangs?

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    I certainly don't think I was using hyperbole. I'm well used to judging speeds, and relative speeds, and from my 70mph stead, this guy was doing at least 1.5 times my speed using the VASCAR principle to see what ratio of speed he was doing, compared to mine.
    I'd believe you, remember that video of the guy on the link/tunnel going about 105-110mph in his glanza? Glanza drivers really do have a very bad reputation!:o

@E92, I read Clarkson's article. I was interested to read about max power, I was a religious reader back when I was a young teenager. As soon as I bought my car I lost interest, perhaps I found the magazine too immature. There are loads of modified car mags out now, for Japanese cars European cars, Ireland even has 1 or 2 magazines. There are plenty of shows etc. I think the scene is still alive, its just not a "underground" as before and has moved a little more mainstream. Also, car enthusiasts like myself have grown up, we still like our cars but we like them tuned up and with subtle kits and functional mods, not ridiculous bodykits unsuited to the car that are promoted by max power. The scene has just moved on to a different level I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I think its hilarious, all these 40 year old grumpy men on here with their halos who have forgotten what it was like to be young. My old fella was mad into cars when he was younger, and freely admits to acting the maggot in his late teens early 20's.

What these guys are doing is plainly wrong but Id leave the moral outrage be if I were you lads, everyone has done something silly over the span of their driving careers. And at the end of the day people are dying on our roads, not in carparks with young fellas messing.

Id be more worried about drink drivers (up to 30% of all fatalities on our roads are drink related after all).

Remember guys, about 25% of fatal road accidents involve drivers between 18-25, about 25% of that again are into modifying cars, how many does that leave of the total road fatalities every year that are young modified car owners? My guess about 5% of total road accidents...now why the big fuss in comparison to the bigger issues. Its like everything else in this country, pick the easy target and shoot regardless of guilt.

Eh, I'm 28. I'm complaining, because I am an enthusiast, and idiots like this are the reason being an enthusiast these days is politically incorrect in the eyes of joe public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

ned78 wrote:
    Eh, I'm 28. I'm complaining, because I am an enthusiast, and idiots like this are the reason being an enthusiast these days is politically incorrect in the eyes of joe public.

Eh im 27, drive a modified skyline (engine wise) and dont give the toss about what other drivers young, old, black, white, fat or thin are doing. Its not my place to judge others, I just do my own thing and love my cars. Get on with your own thing and leave everyone else off. Ive never had any hassle from anyone in my car, cops, other road users etc.

By the way lads a 15 year old won the latest pro drifting event in Rosegreen over the weekend, im guessing this guy has more talent than anybody else behind the wheel of a car on here, and he doesnt even have a licence to drive.

cpoh1 wrote:
    Eh im 27, drive a modified skyline (engine wise) and dont give the toss about what other drivers young, old, black, white, fat or thin are doing. Its not my place to judge others, I just do my own thing and love my cars. Get on with your own thing and leave everyone else off. Ive never had any hassle from anyone in my car, cops, other road users etc.

And if more people had your attitude, then we wouldn't have all the moaners and groaners on the radio complaining, and tarring us all with the same brush. Unfortunately we do, and just like it only takes 1 bike to overtake someone at 100mph for people to call their local radio station and complain how all bikes are speeding, and causing accidents, it only takes one idiot in a Civic with a home made body kit held on with self tapping screws doing donuts in a Tesco Car Park for the same thing to happen.

cpoh1 wrote:

By the way lads a 15 year old won the latest pro drifting event in Rosegreen over the weekend, im guessing this guy has more talent than anybody else behind the wheel of a car on here, and he doesnt even have a licence to drive.

Good point. However what people think about modified cars in general does have an effect on our hobby, I would prefer if more people had a positive image of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

cpoh1 wrote:
    I think its hilarious, all these 40 year old grumpy men on here with their halos who have forgotten what it was like to be young. My old fella was mad into cars when he was younger, and freely admits to acting the maggot in his late teens early 20's.

What these guys are doing is plainly wrong but Id leave the moral outrage be if I were you lads, everyone has done something silly over the span of their driving careers. And at the end of the day people are dying on our roads, not in carparks with young fellas messing.

Id be more worried about drink drivers (up to 30% of all fatalities on our roads are drink related after all).

Remember guys, about 25% of fatal road accidents involve drivers between 18-25, about 25% of that again are into modifying cars, how many does that leave of the total road fatalities every year that are young modified car owners? My guess about 5% of total road accidents...now why the big fuss in comparison to the bigger issues. Its like everything else in this country, pick the easy target and shoot regardless of guilt.

well said lad, but still these little c**ts get on my tits in fairness. I was going to stay out of this one since i own a Glanza, but since i am here......for the poster about mddified cars owned by boyracers, listen to this: I was in a carpark about 12 months ago with my car and all my friends at one of these "cruise" things. We were parked up and chatting about general things you would talk about, then al of a sudden a new ford fiesta, bog standard was doing the aul tray carry on. put that in your pipe and smoke it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

astraboy wrote:
    their cars looking like they drove through the window of Halfords and drove out with everything stuck on!
    ned78 wrote:
    If there was a competition for post of the week on boards, this would be it. Brilliant! :D

At least he didn't copy that off Jeremy Clarkson's review of the Corsa VXR ;)

But seriously, these boy racers give car enthusiasts a bad name. I love my cars, and love driving fast (on a track). It's people like them that give male drivers a bad rep and make sure insurance premiums stay high for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

E92 wrote:
    "Doctor" Clarkson remarked in the Sunday times last weekend that sales of Max Power were 210,000 copies in 2003, now they are down to 44,000. I'd say in a couple of years time a lot of the gang who are into modified cars will have given up,I think its just a phase young people are going through, like there was a time when everyone went on Ratemyteachers.ie, now who talks about it? In a few years time, there will only be the select few into the craze. Apparantly the craze is on the wane across the pond(Jeremy implied that it was more than on the wane last Sunday), and I'm sure we'll follow suit in a short while, assuming that to be true.

Sales of Max Power are down mainly because of competition from the dozens of other car modding magazines as well as internet sites. Typical of him to present one incidental statistic as being the be all and end all of car modifying :rolleyes:
    It isn't a craze, it's a global industry, and it will be here for a long time.

Likewise, sales of Loaded and FHM are way down too, but that doesn't mean we've all got bored of (looking at) women :D

• Advertisement

cpoh1 wrote:

Yes but thats all very well and good until someone loses an eye..................

Advertisement