Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New boy racer habit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

it started off in america with treys from mc donnalds, its great fun... (im sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

cpoh1 wrote:
    I think its hilarious, all these 40 year old grumpy men on here with their halos who have forgotten what it was like to be young. My old fella was mad into cars when he was younger, and freely admits to acting the maggot in his late teens early 20's.

What these guys are doing is plainly wrong but Id leave the moral outrage be if I were you lads, everyone has done something silly over the span of their driving careers. And at the end of the day people are dying on our roads, not in carparks with young fellas messing.

Id be more worried about drink drivers (up to 30% of all fatalities on our roads are drink related after all).

Remember guys, about 25% of fatal road accidents involve drivers between 18-25, about 25% of that again are into modifying cars, how many does that leave of the total road fatalities every year that are young modified car owners? My guess about 5% of total road accidents...now why the big fuss in comparison to the bigger issues. Its like everything else in this country, pick the easy target and shoot regardless of guilt.

Road Fatalities are not the only thing to look at in fairness, thats really tunnel visioned... What about the number of accidents minor or major where people are lucky enough to survive? its this huge number thats adds to insurance costs etc... more than fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There was no real "moral outrage" from me (the OP) and people who feel that the modified car owners in the car park were doing wrong. The danger and the noise of it was brought up all right, but "moral outrage" is going to far.

The only "outrage" really was from the modified car owners and thier defence of their hobby and their peers. Their other outrage seems to be at the tagging of them, ie Boy racers or Mod car owners.

These fellas had cars that looked to be costly and carefully modified and they were acting the maggot in the car park. I called them boy racers, maybe I was wrong.

For the record, I have broken the law and speeded in my car in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

lightening wrote:
    I was in a carpark outside a North Dublin park. There was a few modified car owners and young fellas in their ma's cars. They were putting what looked like biscuit tin lids or metal cooking trays under the back tyres, putting the handbrakes on and driving around the carpark fishtailing all over the place.

Looked gas, probably really dangerous and made a noise like the end of the world.

thats not a new thing, they've been doing that for while. I remeber once before I seen guys using the trays out of a resturant. then driving on gravel. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Insurance costs are high because insurance companies make so much profit. They have somehow fooled Irish people into thinking its ok to pay stupid amounts for insurance. There are a lot of claims here but the insurance industry in Ireland has made a super normal profit for years.

The comment about some people here moaning like old women is quite true. Wait untill all the boy racers grow up a bit and while half of them may grow out of it the other half will have drift cars most likley. The fact that they are doing this in car parks just shows the lack of somewhere to do it safely, its also better than them doing it on public roads.

Driving around with something under your wheels to make the rear of your car slide sounds like great fun to me in semi safe circumstances and also a great way to learn to control a car in a skid. I was just reading on a website about how the lack of this type of skill being taught in advanced driving courses is a problem.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking it would be a bit pointless to put them on the back wheels of a RWD car!!

Not unless you're into decapitating passersby or trying to launch the tray into orbit.............:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Actually i'd like to do an age poll on how old our car modders actually are here and what the average is. Might throw one up in the Modded motors forum, i'm just curious as it's been pointed out half of us may lose our interest after x years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

There was a couple of threads on this subject over the past few weeks…. Unfortunately it’s a lose / lose situation for everyone concerned, as a result of the muppets doing stuff like this in car parks.

Where insurance is concerned, I really think that the people losing out are young males who just want to get on the road, but it is too expensive. This leads back to the statistics for road deaths and crashes etc etc in this age group.

Correct me if you think I’m wrong, but the people driving modified cars and aren’t messers (like ASTRABOY here) you have to expect to pay extra insurance because of the modifications and in a lot of cases the more powerful car.

But it must be sh1t for people who are simply enthusiasts getting painted in the same light as the other fools (and there are lots of them) but I don’t think there’s any end to it in sight for you. A 32 year old was killed in a single vehicle crash a couple of weeks ago. He was driving the same type of car as cpoh1 on here (Skyline) .. As long as people are driving the same type of cars as these guys who are killing themselves, there’s no end in the stereotypical view in sight.

Unfortunately there’s no end in sight for the young lads who need to just drive from A to B too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

lightening wrote:
    I was in a carpark outside a North Dublin park. There was a few modified car owners and young fellas in their ma's cars. They were putting what looked like biscuit tin lids or metal cooking trays under the back tyres, putting the handbrakes on and driving around the carpark fishtailing all over the place.

Looked gas, probably really dangerous and made a noise like the end of the world.

I remember this 10 years ago in the asda carpak in swansea. But we used milk trays, or mcdonalds trays. Its the only way the cheeky cheap little chavs can have a bit of drifting craic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

ned78 wrote:
    I certainly don't think I was using hyperbole. I'm well used to judging speeds, and relative speeds, and from my 70mph stead, this guy was doing at least 1.5 times my speed using the VASCAR principle to see what ratio of speed he was doing, compared to mine.

The Glanza has a puny 1.3litre turbo engine. How could he get to 100mph so fast if he was right behind you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

The Glanza has a puny 1.3litre turbo engine. How could he get to 100mph so fast if he was right behind you?

I guess he was speaking figuratively!

If he was going 70mph, just short of the 120kph speed limit, we can assume boy racer in Glanza was seriously breaking the spead limit, unless of course it took him a half hour to overtake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Its a 1.3 turbo in the region of 135BHP, not massive but a lot for a light car, so it could accelrate from 70 to 100mph easily.

As for the issue with the guys on the trays, if they are a nuisance, call the cops. If they are driving dangerously then they can be fined and taken to court. If this does not work, maybe look into getting the car park owner to get them moved on. Its no problem parking up I reckon, but acting the maggot annoying people with noise pollution is another thing. OP, I'd say if you took a close look at their cars they are probably trashed if they constantly drive them like that.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

PoleStar wrote:
    I guess he was speaking figuratively!

If he was going 70mph, just short of the 120kph speed limit, we can assume boy racer in Glanza was seriously breaking the spead limit, unless of course it took him a half hour to overtake :D

Take it from me, it can get from 70 to 100 mph in no time at all!!! And just remember, most Glanza's are far from standard these days!! you should see what 222bhp does to a small car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you've ever driven a Glanza, you'd realise that while it's only a 1.3 engine, it packs a punch. My Mother's Starlet is a 1.3 normally aspirated engine, and it's not a bad little mover and shaker either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

ned78 wrote:
    And the majority of these cars have the racershaven stickers. God help someone who actually is drunk, or even hard of hearing, on a Friday night stepping out from between parked cars in front of these idiots.
    I was under the impression that people were supposed to cross at designated crossing points, and only when the green man was displayed?
    Also is it the added weight of the aforementioned stickers that gurantee someone being hit by the car is injured? Because last time i checked, if someone steps out into traffic right in front of you, you have very little chance of stopping in time, even if you are doing the speed limit.
    No ned, im afraid that if drunk person is going to be hit, it doesnt matter if its a modified car or a bog standard car, if you walk out in front of a car, you are going to get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

phill106 wrote:
    I was under the impression that people were supposed to cross at designated crossing points, and only when the green man was displayed?

This was in a car park, there is no markings or lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

layke wrote:
    Actually i'd like to do an age poll on how old our car modders actually are here and what the average is. Might throw one up in the Modded motors forum, i'm just curious as it's been pointed out half of us may lose our interest after x years.

I lost interest at 20 year of age, after 3 years.

21 now and drive a diesel hog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

hermit wrote:
    Road Fatalities are not the only thing to look at in fairness, thats really tunnel visioned... What about the number of accidents minor or major where people are lucky enough to survive? its this huge number thats adds to insurance costs etc... more than fatalities.

Anyone I have been talkin to has had their car insurance reduced year by year, whether it be small reduction (€50) or halving, so to harp on bout car insurance going up due to other peoples accidents is complete bull.
    If your old enough to remember paying £3,000 (€4000 +) for a 1.1 peugeot when you were 18 with a prov lic, you'll know what im talking about or else your only startin off drivin & talkin bout summat you know F*ck all about.
    Any pudit will tell you car insuarnce is back to late 90's premiums,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

phill106 wrote:

Unfortunately common sense isn't all that common. People cross roads in Ireland wherever they wish.
    phill106 wrote:
    last time i checked, if someone steps out into traffic right in front of you, you have very little chance of stopping in time, even if you are doing the speed limit.

Well, there's an oversimplified argument. There's a difference between a normal driver doing 50kph, and a boy racer who's left a gap between him and the car in front so he can temporarily get to 80kph hitting a pedestrian. It's the difference between life and death.
    phill106 wrote:
    No ned, im afraid that if drunk person is going to be hit, it doesnt matter if its a modified car or a bog standard car, if you walk out in front of a car, you are going to get hurt.

Yes indeed. If you stand in front of a car doing 10kph you'll be injured. What we're discussing here, is the difference between walking away with a sore leg, or being carried away in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Just saw this thread, very entertaining....

I have been driving for years, and I have NEVER, EVER, EVER seen a modified car (all junk imo) accelerate away from stop at a normal pace, always has to be full on.....and the feckin noise, nothing worse than a 1.4 almera with a sh*te exhaust......so, imo, all wan*ers.....defend that. Again, there may be some 'normal' modified owners out there, but I havnt seen them yet. I guess this would be the experience of most people...

As for the guys on the trays, gotta try that, sounds like a laugh, gonna do it somewhere private, dont freak!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

joemc99 wrote:

I have been driving for years, and I have NEVER, EVER, EVER seen a modified car (all junk imo) accelerate away from stop at a normal pace, always has to be full on.....and the feckin noise, nothing worse than a 1.4 almera with a sh*te exhaust......so, imo, all wan*ers.....defend that. Again, there may be some 'normal' modified owners out there, but I havnt seen them yet. I guess this would be the experience of most people...

As for the guys on the trays, gotta try that, sounds like a laugh, gonna do it somewhere private, dont freak!

Glad to see another open minded person on the Boards.:rolleyes: The reason you never noticed a modified car driving normally is probably because the driver was not acting the tit and attracting attention. I see done up cars driving correctly every day, maybe you dont get out much. You probably spend too much time at home judging people instead. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

joemc99 wrote:

Maybe with the loud exhaust it sounds full on, but doesnt mean they put the foot down all the time?? My exhaust isnt too loud & its only slightly louder if i accelerate quickly rather then "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have to say, that of all the Scuby STI's, Lancer Evo's and Skylines etc, I rarely see them at full boar. Its probably because of the savage fuel consumption. However I did see an STi shift up to speed recently. Rudy hell it was fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

maidhc wrote:
    Wouldn't it be more straightforward just to fit a set of Nankangs?

Ha ha. Your on the money there. Crap tyres, in particular, those NS1's that half the planet seem to have on their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

maybe you dont get out much. You probably spend too much time at home judging people instead.

.....blah blah blah. Eh, I'm out all the time, thanks. Can you not just admit that the VAST majority of 'modified' (boyracer) carts, etc, look like tossers (they may not be, but they look like)? Can you not admit that, you must see it yourself? Sorry if you are lumped in with them, but thats the way everyone sees it (everyone I know anyway).

Jez, when I was 18 driving my ma's corsa, I was sideways everywhere, at least I didnt stick a crap exhaust and body kit on it...............

Ahhh...........I'm going back to my room now to close the curtins......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

joemc99 wrote:
    .....blah blah blah. Eh, I'm out all the time, thanks. Can you not just admit that the VAST majority of 'modified' (boyracer) carts, etc, look like tossers (they may not be, but they look like)? Can you not admit that, you must see it yourself? Sorry if you are lumped in with them, but thats the way everyone sees it (everyone I know anyway).

Jez, when I was 18 driving my ma's corsa, I was sideways everywhere, at least I didnt stick a crap exhaust and body kit on it...............

Top post, it only took me three attempts to get the gist of what you were trying to get across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

joemc99 wrote:

:D excellent...well said

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Insurance costs are high because insurance companies make so much profit

Irish insurance is not high, it's about average or even low. I am thinking of moving back to Dublin and got a quote for insurance on my car, it's €400'ish, which is half what I pay now in the UK. Insurance for people who are a high risk though is high, and rightly so.

If you are an under 25 male driver you are twice as likely to be involved in a crash and 3 times more likely to be in a single vehicle accident which causes a fatality.

Young drivers (under 21) account for nearly 40% of the fatalities on the roads but account for only 15% of the drivers.

Statistics from UK sources as I could not find any online Irish sources, it is widely acknowledged that the statistics are worse in Ireland than the UK, there is even a marked difference between Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland in the statistics. Even at that Insurance for young drivers in Ireland is cheaper than the UK and while we all whine about it being high, it is actually only mid-table as Euro insurance prices go.

Not all young people are lunatics, boy racers or irresponsible on the road but the statistics seem to imply there is a large amount that are. It's a large enough amount for insurance companies to tar them all with the same brush. I feel sorry for those that pay highly for this. As someone who grew up when it was quite normal to pay £IR3000 (about €4000) for his first insurance, in a 900cc Fiat 127, I sympathise, but until you prove to insurance companies that you are not a lunatic you just have to grin and bear paying for your peers lunacy......for those people roll on 25 years of age when lunacy is supposed to disappear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, I remember the day I turned 25. Got up, all excited and stuff, when I got in my car... Nothing. It's as if the muppet inside me died during the night ;)

I know the insurance companies have to draw a line somewhere - and 25 is one of these lines, but I just thought it was funny that the day before I was 25 it cost me €1500 TPF&T on a 1.3 Fiesta, the next day it cost me €1100 on a 2.0 Golf GTI. Which am I more likely to cause carnage in? ;)

As an aside, there are a number of cars I looked at and out of curiosity priced insurance in the UK... Far cheaper on a lot of them (generally VAG stuff like Golfs, Corrados, Leons and A3s compared to prices here, and that's even if I got a quote at all here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Well I can only speak from personal experience, current insurance on my Alfa £700 (€1015) but quoted €435 by a Southern company if I moved back to Ireland, on same details of course. Supra currently costing £325(€470) a year and quoted at €317. 924 currently costs £193(€284) and got it quoted at €245.

All 3 cars cheaper to insure in the Republic compared to the North/UK (Northern prices a bit higher than UK mainland)

Having said that it now looks like my move home is off, so I can just dream of cheaper insurance, downside is tax on that lot currently is £525 (€761) a year but moving home ups that to a whopping €2434, swings and roundabouts there.....

Advertisement