Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave in Rathmines

Options
  • 21-05-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I know the opinion on Ripwave is pretty poor around here but was probably going to recommend it for my sisters apt on Leinster Rd, Rathmines.

Anybody out there know what the signal quality, range is like in Rathmines? The coverage map on Irish Broadband website is spotty to say the least. All the houses on Leinster Rd are quite tall, 3 story buildings, thick walls, etc. and her new apt is on the first floor so will be signal quality be seriously comprimised.

I was going to recommend Ripwave Plus if its any good or then Digiweb but on their website it mentions a dish, antenna is required on roof of building and don't think landlord will be to receptive to this idea.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

Buy it in Retail store - Carphone Warehouse, DID, Peats etc if it doesn't work - you'll get a full refund - no hastle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Digiweb aerial can in some cases bolt onto a balcony or window sill, It's a squarish, flatish, greyish plastic box, like a lunch/picnic box.

It needs to see the mast. So anywhere from ground floor to chimney may be suitable depending on geography. I tried Ripwave and got no connection except at the window in front bedroom. It's a lower frequency that Digiweb, thus does not need a good view of mast, but a lot fussier than a TV signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thanks for the info Watty. I'll give the Ripwave a shot first, get it from a retailer and if it's junk I'll bring it back for a refund.
    The digiweb antenna sounds ok, not too much of an eyesore. I'll have to ring them to see if it would have line of sight in her area.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hi folks. Im just posting this for Rip Wave users.
    I have boosted my ripwave signal by 40% and stabelized the connection completely. I
    havent lost a connection in 96 hours. My download rate is a constant 58.6kb, and i have tested my connection on
    ISP test. I received 498k. I have achieved this by usung a pringles can in the method known as Cantenna. Instructions are availible on
    the internet on the method but its easy. Cut a whole in a pringles can(empty cans are preferable!!!). The whole
    should be big enough for the rip wave antenna, but not too big as the can needs to stay on.
    Place the pringles can ontop of the repwave unit in such a way as that the antenna is stuck inside the can.
    This will block out all other signals and amplify the ripwave signal slightly. It was neccessary to do this after the ripwave had connected to the network.
    I tried it again with the unit switched off and it didnt work. But once switched on and connected, when the can was placed as described above
    a noticable improvement was recorded. I will post more information as i get it. For more information google pringles, can , antenna, cantenna.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Advertisement