Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tna better than WWE...

• 21-05-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭

I havent really watched Tna before, but I watched sacrifice well most of it anyways and I found myself actually enjoying it more than what WWE is producing these days.

Ive said this before but i absolutely detest the whole Umaga v Lashley storyline mainly as I think Umaga is pretty crap.

I cant stand john cena because hes muck in the ring. Same moves every time.
    It was pretty obvious he was going to win at Judgement day.I also hate batista.

Anyways tna have some excellent guys in there and their matches are far more entertaining. The WWE seems to be based alot on punches mixed with lying around the ring for 5 minutes anymore. Apart from the benoits that is.

The Tna guys actually wrestle. Their X division guys are amazing in the ring.Ok some of the gimmicks might not be great and there are some gimmicky matches. But their main eventers are really top guys. Better than the WWEs anyday bar michaels really. Ive never seen Christian on the mic in the WWE but he is excellent at it and with this persona in TNA. Having the likes of sting,kurt angle,samao joe,aj styles and christian. Top stuff.

If they drop the gimmick matches they could be on to a winner.
    Of what I saw of Sacrifice it was excellent in my oppinion. Very obvious blading done by the two guys in the deathmatch though :rolleyes: .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I think that you should have at least mentioned in the thread title that this thread contained some spoilers from judgement day as there are some of us that havent watched the event yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

He does have the spoiler in the tags and you have to click it to read it.....and it was pretty obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I stuck the spoiler tag in there, although in fairness, it was pretty obvious!

Judging TNA by Sacrifice, I would maybe just about agree. But Sacrifice was by far their best ppv this year, so I don't think you can just judge them on that. There were more consistently good matches on Sacrifice than any usual WWE ppv (although Backlash was an exception, great matches there). But there are still problems with TNA. I think there were 8 or 9 matches at Sacrifice, and 5 or 6 of them had some sort of after-match fighting. I think that's sort of like them telling us "the result doesn't matter". They're way too reluctant to let anyone really get the upper hand and they hinder themselves in creating stars by doing that

On paper, I'd say that TNA's top guys are better than WWE's current ones. But they have a huge problem in getting people to buy their ppvs. I wonder if part of the reason is that Impact doesn't fairly represent what happens on ppv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

WWE is so in the crapper now it's not even funny. I even found the buildup to Lockdown far more entertaining than the buildup to Wrestlemania this year. And the X Division right now is kicking the crap out of every division WWE has to offer. Jay Lethal as Black Machismo is hilarious at this time as well! While trying to get Sonjay Dutt to use Nash's old failed gimmick is priceless.

So lockdown was all gimmicked cage matches, beat the **** out of that god awful hair vs hair match WWE put up the upper midcard!

WWE's writing has been terrible, with Mania built on two title matches (only one delivering in my opinion, and the MITB bumpfest. At least Lockdown's buildup catered for every match on the card, oh, and did i forget to mention that they only have 1 hour a week to do it as opposed to WWE's 5? (2 hrs for RAW, 2 hrs for SD and 1hr for ECW).

Current TNA reminds me of late 80s WWE, storylines don't make a ****load of sense, but they don't need to cos you're still wondering whats gonna happen next.

VR!

I think TNA has a higher quality of wrestling. WWE is full of generic wrestlers with different gimmicks. Production wise WWE is better. Its really what you look at it for. Personally i like Noah or NJPW, it still has integrity with much better wrestling . Shame none of it is on TV :( I have been trying to change this as of recent . Watch this space .....

• Advertisement

Funny you mention that, cos what really pisses me off about TNA, being restricted to NTL with no option of Sky is that it's been placed on Bravo 2, meaning i need to get it recorded for me. Thankfully i've a really good friend who has no problem doing this for me. But who the f*ck watches Bravo 2 anyway?!

VR!

Personally i like Noah or NJPW, it still has integrity with much better wrestling . Shame none of it is on TV :( I have been trying to change this as of recent . Watch this space .....

I am intrigued.... Although I could have sworn NOAH is on The Wrestling Channel, but I don't have it

I like that they seem to be pushing the X-Division again, because it was really just restricted to Sabin defending the title and two other guys fighting cos of Backlund. But I can't say I'm a fan of characters like Black Machismo, just their wrestling
    Current TNA reminds me of late 80s WWE, storylines don't make a ****load of sense, but they don't need to cos you're still wondering whats gonna happen next.

To be honest, they often leave me wondering what's happening now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It was reported on the Torch that the core age group from the ratings of people that watch TNA are between 12 and 17.

Oh, I'd have expected them to be a bit older. Might explain part of the non-buying of ppvs, but then again, it doesn't really

Fozzy wrote:
    Oh, I'd have expected them to be a bit older. Might explain part of the non-buying of ppvs, but then again, it doesn't really

I can understand it. Your not gonna attract a large audience of adults with the tv they put on. TNA tv is perfect for kids with short attention spans with 101 things going on in 42 minutes of tv.

They were making the point about while TNA and The Ultimate fighter do similar tv numbers the demos for both are quite different.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    I am intrigued.... Although I could have sworn NOAH is on The Wrestling Channel, but I don't have it

To be honest, they often leave me wondering what's happening now!

I am working on it with somebody, i have planted the seeds of it possibly happening but very early days yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The PPv's are a lot better than Impact. To me, Impact always seems a bit rushed but the stuff they show is of a better quality. Less 3 minute entrances and the such

IMO the martial artist "Sanjee Dunn" is it is fantastic.....and the nice thing about TNA is that the PPV's are all on bravo which comes with most basic go digital packs.....Rather than sky sports for everything and box office its a pain

You mean Sonjay Dutt I take it? He's not a martial artist at all though, just a good to very good X-Division style wrestler. TNA is on Bravo 2, you only get that with Sky Digital unfortunately, not NTL

Yeah sorry i meant senshi .....I thought bravo was on all go digital packs sorry....

I saw that texas deathmatch at sacrifice and thought it was one of the best hardcore matches i'd seen in a while.......the guys got a bit too energetic for there signature moves but other than that i really enjoyed it

Bravo and Bravo +1 is, but Bravo 2 isn't, that's Sky only and thats the only channel that's showing TNA stuff atm.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Wouldnt the main age for watching the WWE be about 12-17 aswell though?Seeing as it seems to be kids that love the top guy Cena??

I used to love the WWF around 1995-99. I recently got sky back (im 20 now) and I really dislike the WWE. I tried to get back into it but im just not sure wether its gone down so much since I used to watch it or wether its because ive just gotten older.

I thought TNA was going to be poor but I found myself watching it more and more. Alot has to do with the fact I really hate the guys that are main eventing in the WWE now too.

Anyone that hasnt watched TNA give it a chance. Especially their X division.Great stuff.

Their main audience is 18-34 year olds. Obviously alot kids watch the show too but its not their primary demoographic.Thats why TNA doing well in the demo and doing poorly in 18-34 year olds is significant.

jese 18-34? thats alot older than I would of thought especially for the WWE.

i mean shave your head bald match? Oh no my life is going to end my head was shaved...:rolleyes:

and it is quite funny that nearly every episode of Raw they find the need to mention this to us

"at wrestlemania lashley shaved my head bald"... yes we know vince this stupid storyline/feud is still going on....

and Cena their top guy? Its not the older fans that like him so why is he still number 1?

joe123 wrote:
    I used to love the WWF around 1995-99.

Interesting that you mention that particular time period, as that was pretty much the time Vince Russo was moved to the creative team (early 96 until mid 99), same guy thats got the reins of TNA atm.

VR!

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote:

and Cena their top guy? Its not the older fans that like him so why is he still number 1?

Because older fans will pay to boo him and younger and female fans will pay to cheer him. As long as people care about Cena he'll always be at the top. Its when they stop caring when the problem comes.

You have to remember for 90% of wrestling fans in the US, the WWE is the only thing they watch in 2007 when decades earlier there were alot more promotions to see. So I don't think its surprising that alot of their audience are that age.

On WWE, people can debate whether they like the storylines or not. For me, particularly before 'mania, they were great.

In regards to the wrestling, well the WWE has has a great great year so far. I'm not sure if they could have done a lot more this year.

The wrestling in the WWE is pretty bad at the moment. Nearly every match involves so much punches and chops and then lying around on the mat.

compare this to the style of wrestling in TNA its totally different. Watch the X division especially. Really shows up the WWE for what its become.

I didnt see the wwe before Wrestlemania but so far I cant stand it. I sky+ it and rarely watch any match involving batista cena or umaga now.

Maybe im looking back to the WWF days with rose tinted glasses.

and i dont like cena...and wouldnt pay to boo him either. And batista is he possibly the most boring character ever? He is the same every week on the mic. Blah to it.

joe123 wrote:
    Maybe im looking back to the WWF days with rose tinted glasses.

But you pointed out that you loved from 95 - 99, the first two of those years had some god awful stuff though. Let me remind you of some.

Duke Drosse - The fan friendly binman!
    Savio Vega - The fan friendly former evil ninja
    Makin' A Difference Fatu - Yes, there was a god awful gimmick before Rikishi
    The Sultan - From Samoan animal to hated Arab?
    The Ringmaster, Million Dollar Champion with Million Dollar Manager - I cried!
    Undertaker with modified Ice Hockey Mask after Yoko and Mabel crushed his face. - I thought dead men felt no pain?
    TL Hopper - A wrestler who cleaned pipes on the side?
    Friar Ferguson - A wrestling monk?
    Phantasio - After defeating you, he'll steal (and quite possibly keep) your undies!
    Jake "I've found religion" Roberts - 1996 was not the time to push that angle!

Sorry, but stack these up with Michaels, HHH, Bret and Owen that year, you can see the see-saw is a little weighed down...

VR!

joe123 wrote:
    The wrestling in the WWE is pretty bad at the moment.

I completely disagree. Its maybe an older style of wrestling than what TNA provides (whose wrestling can also be good when the company gives the wrestlers an oppurtunity) but that shouldn't detract from it.

It's a lamer style of wrestling in my opinion to be honest, there is bugger all decent workers left on RAW, and Edge has buggered off to SD, which could be a bad idea cos he doesnt have a lot to work with there unless they elevate a few guys and quick!

WWE have made the same mistake WCW made this time 10 years ago. They haven't built enough main eventers. And now most of their main eventers are on the bench, and WWE are now screwed, for all intents and purposes.

Combine that with the really bad writing atm... ugh.
    VR!

I'm looking forward to seeing what WWE does now. If it means that they have to use guys like Regal, Finlay, Haas, Benjamin, Burke and Punk in bigger and better roles, then I'm all for it. Hopefully that actually happens though..

I am looking forward to it as well. But knowing Vince, he'll bring a few slugs from OVW rather than elevate some of their current midcarders!

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

God help us all, we could see Daniel Rodimer come in.

IMO, with Edge now on SD, I would love to see them elevate hardy in the near future to fued with him for the title. Matt has been having a very good year, and IMO has had the 2nd best WWE match on the year with Kennedy a few weeks ago. JBL is constantly harping on that he is a future main eventer. Maybe the future is now.

Either that or Rey will go straight in to face Edge.

I dunno, Matt just doesn't have the charisma for a decent feud. He is decent enough in the ring but his mic skills are utter rubbish. Jeff doesn't even need to go near a mic (and when he does it's funny, the watching paint dry skit last year had me cracking up), and he still gets a better crowd reaction.

Edge v Matt was done to death in 2005 and even then Matt dropped the ball with that one.

I'd rather see Benoit get elevated back to main event to compensate for the horrible mismanaged of his title reign in 2004.

VR!

• Advertisement

Agreed on the Benoit thing, but that probably wont happen given his lack of mic skill, and if it hasn't happened by now, I cant see it coming any time soon. Though a fued with Edge would be nice.

I think Benoit and Matt have better mic skills than Khali, Lashley and Batista, aswell as being much better in the ring. So looking at it that way, of course they should get a shot at the main event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I saw this thread and I just had to Reply
    I have been saying for ages how much better TNA is than WWe at the moment
    WWE seems to have lost the plot abit and seems more about crappy storylines than wrestling
    AJ Styles and the X-Division guys sum up TNA for me, its pure entertainment watching those people

PS TNA pops up on Eurosport sometimes, and the PPV's are up on most bit torrent sites the Monday after they are aired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I dunno, Matt just doesn't have the charisma for a decent feud. He is decent enough in the ring but his mic skills are utter rubbish. Jeff doesn't even need to go near a mic (and when he does it's funny, the watching paint dry skit last year had me cracking up), and he still gets a better crowd reaction.

That Jeff thing was quality :) Matt doesn't necessarily need decent promo skills against Edge given their history and I think that feud needs to be done again, and right this time.
    Edge v Matt was done to death in 2005 and even then Matt dropped the ball with that one.
    Never! They had a few matches alright, but I seem to remember a cage match at Summerslam (?) which lasted for all of 5 minutes. That ended the feud too. WWE, not Matt, dropped the ball on that one.
    I'd rather see Benoit get elevated back to main event to compensate for the horrible mismanaged of his title reign in 2004.
    VR!
    I'd say Benoit dropping the US title is the first step toward elevating him back to the main event fold. Judgement Day
    Making him loose 2 straight falls isn't the best way of going about this, but anyway.

Evil_Clown wrote:
    I have been saying for ages how much better TNA is than WWe

I disagree but fair enough.

As a TNA fan though, why do you think their ppv buy rates are so bad? Why is so few people buying their shows? Like you said its not because they have bad wrestlers. They have some great ones but where do you see the problem?

Are UK/abroad buys counted into WWE buy rates?

Can overseas folk buy TNA PPVs???

• Advertisement

Double C wrote:
    Never! They had a few matches alright, but I seem to remember a cage match at Summerslam (?) which lasted for all of 5 minutes. That ended the feud too. WWE, not Matt, dropped the ball on that one.

Yeah, it's always WWE who drop the ball... :rolleyes:
    Seriously, and although Matt has improved somewhat since then, at the time he was utter dirt, all that **** he pulled after his firing with the gun promo, as good as they looked, did more harm than good. But Matt really didn't have a lot as far as character goes by the time he was feuding with Edge. Even during a real life feud, he just looked like a piss poor actor. If you have ring skills, thats one thing, but when you have limited mic skill when your opponent will kill you with words (in this case, Edge), then forget it. The feud isn't gonna last.

VR!

gimmick wrote:
    Are UK/abroad buys counted into WWE buy rates?

Can overseas folk buy TNA PPVs???

I believe they break the buy rate down into domestic versus international in their quarterly reports.

A run of the mill WWE show will do domestically 130-150, 000 buys. Wrestlemania this year did about 750000 domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

As far as I know TNA PPV's cannot be seen live in Ireland
    everytime I download the PPV's on torrent, they are provided free to loads of people in the states over the Express Bell (i think thats what its called) so the show can be seen free by lots of people by the looks of it.

TNA really needs to start touring this part of the world to get their profile up.
    More hot Girls wouldn't be too bad either (gigidy gig !)

Not live no, they're usually screened a day or two on Bravo 2 or else found on torrents sites as they're provided by Bell View Express in the US. Often the video quality is utter rubbish (especially when converted to DVD and distributed) on the latter though.

VR!

Bell ExpressVu is a Canadian company. I don't think they deal in the US at all, and they definitely don't give away ppv's for free

• Advertisement
Advertisement