Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on a laptop.

• 21-05-2007 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Could someone give me some opinions/info on this laptop?I may be getting it from a friend for a reasonable price soon (as hes planning on upgrading to a better one) and I just wanted some opinions from experts on it, as i've always found it to be quite good and yet that site gave it a terrible review.Also while it definitely won't be its main function i'd like to be able to play some PC games on it.Can anyone give me a rough idea of how well it will be able to handle games?For instance I doubt it would be able to handle something like Supreme Commander (which looks kickass) but could someone give me a rough indication of the kind of games it can handle?I've always been a console gamer, so I don't really know much about these things.Thanks in advance for any help!

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-nx6125/4507-3121_7-31417988.html

Also please note the laptop I may be getting is in excellent condition (its barely ever used, and even when it is its only for internet/word/excel), and has been upgraded from 512MB ram to 1GB ram, and when I get it, i'll probably upgrade it by at least another 512MB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Unless you're getting it for next to nothing, I wouldn't bother. Low spec components and very sub-par performance. I would be surprised if you were able to get any kind of modern game running well on this laptop. Very slow processor, small HD, little RAM crap GCard... It was designed as a cheap option for business according to the review.

Would probably be fine for non gaming stuff, but why not save your money and get a decent 2nd hand or new one? Especially if you were thinking of upgrading this one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Tayto2000 wrote:
    Unless you're getting it for next to nothing, I wouldn't bother. Low spec components and very sub-par performance. I would be surprised if you were able to get any kind of modern game running well on this laptop. Very slow processor, small HD, little RAM crap GCard... It was designed as a cheap option for business according to the review.

Would probably be fine for non gaming stuff, but why not save your money and get a decent 2nd hand or new one? Especially if you were thinking of upgrading this one anyway.
    Well the HD isn't a problem as I have a 500GB external drive, and like I said i'm planning on upgrading the ram anyways.I'm only going to be paying around €200 for it, which seems to be a really good price.Its also all I can really afford at the minute anyways.Would it be able to run World Of Warcraft well?Because as long as it can do that I'd be quite satisified with it in the games department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd wait and save up and get a nice Dell....always better to wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

I would go for it for 200.
    It has Bluetooth, Wireless, 15 inch screen.Okay-ish AMD processor.

This would be fine for normal day to day use.
    WOW - not sure, you will have to check the minimum requirements from there site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

its worth 200 euro no problem

• Advertisement

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

Ok well theres the minimum/recommended specs for WOW, and if i'm reading it right I meet the recommended specs with the laptop.Can someone confirm this?Anyways if thats the case than I may as well just get the laptop cause I'm not really bothered enough to spend another €300-€400 just to play games that came after WOW (as like I said i'm reall more of a console gamer).

And as long as I can play WOW, the Fallouts, the old Command And Conquers and perhaps Deus Ex Invisible War (cause it doesn't look like they're ever going to make it backwards compatible on the 360) I'd actually be satisfied games wise, and I know from personal experience it can handle the REAL stuff (internet, torrent programs and so on) pretty well, so i'm happy in that area too.I mean i'd also like to be able to run PS1 ISOs at full speed on the laptop, but if it couldn't handle that it wouldn't matter as the PSP does a decent enough job at that anyways.Thanks for all of your help guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

Ok well theres the minimum/recommended specs for WOW, and if i'm reading it right I meet the recommended specs with the laptop.Can someone confirm this?Anyways if thats the case than I may as well just get the laptop cause I'm not really bothered enough to spend another €300-€400 just to play games that came after WOW (as like I said i'm reall more of a console gamer).

And as long as I can play WOW, the Fallouts, the old Command And Conquers and perhaps Deus Ex Invisible War (cause it doesn't look like they're ever going to make it backwards compatible on the 360) I'd actually be satisfied games wise, and I know from personal experience it can handle the REAL stuff (internet, torrent programs and so on) pretty well, so i'm happy in that area too.I mean i'd also like to be able to run PS1 ISOs at full speed on the laptop, but if it couldn't handle that it wouldn't matter as the PSP does a decent enough job at that anyways.Thanks for all of your help guys!

Yes it will run WoW. It will even run Command and Conquer 3 fine let alone the 'old' Command and Conquers. It is a poor card but it's also capable, as long as you don't expect too much.

Look here if you want to see the x200 in-game, it's one of the most frequently asked about cards as it's a very common option in inexpensive laptops so I decided to take some screens and test out some games when I had the chance.

The new C&C?Really?But wouldn't it look and run like **** on it?Anyways I've decided I'm going t get the laptop, because I really need to get one soon and this one seems to be able to do what I want games wise as well, so i'm going to get it.Thanks for all your input and help guys.

Advertisement