Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect a phone socket?

Options
  • 21-05-2007 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

I just moved into a new place. The house has 2 phone sockets, the one downstairs is connected, has the eircom logo on it. The one upstairs isnt connected, no logo.

How do I go about getting the one upstairs working? Is it simple job or would I need to get somone in to do it? Is it just a matter of going into the attic and connecting up a cable?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the wire that starts upstairs should end downstairs around the back of the eircom box

locate both ends, its probably a 2 pair ( 4 wire)

simply use the blue pair or the orange pair

and read this

http://www.reci.ie/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I have the same problem, and have tried the solution above, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I've got two sockets I need to light up.
    The Eircom master socket is working fine (With Eircom Broadband).
    However, when I go to plug a phone into either of the other two sockets, I can hear a tone, but when I dial a number, nothing happens.
    I've tried placing the the blue+blue/white pair into L1 and L2 on the ccu, but to no avail. I also tried the orange/orange-white pair. I presume it doesn't matter which of the pair goes into either L1 or L2?

Anyway, at the sockets, the wiring seems to be in place. I'm just not sure if what I'm doing at the ccu end of things is ok.

Can you offer any further help?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sounds like the connection (either pair) is a tad week ..not enough contact .

enough to providew tone and confirm you used the right pair both ends.

do not forget to put ccu + socket 1+ socket 2 in series.

eg wire from ccu to socket 1 (blue pair say) if you connect both to ccu you get a drop . socket 1 should lead to socket 2 or vice versa but both should not come back to ccu

if both come back to ccu then

1. ccu to socket 1 (blue)
    2. socket 1 back to ccu but not connected to ccu as such (orange)
    2. socket 1 to socket 2 by connecting this return orange pair and the blue pair together (firmly and lots of surface ) in cavity behind ccu faceplate .

now they are in series becuase socket one leads to socket 2

Advertisement