Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hens + weed killer

Options
  • 21-05-2007 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I have a large driveway and also a few hundred yards of paths and a big patio with weeds growing through the cracks. I am wary of using weed killer because I have free range hens. Is there some weed killer that I can use which won't harm the hens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are some that say safe to use around pets and children but not sure about hens esp. if you eat the eggs. There is an organic weed killer or at least Tesco did one last year. An alternative could be one of those gas things that burn off weeds (scary looking things) or a god ould strimmer although getting those fiddley weeds out can be a pain. All else fails mabey section off areas while they have been treated. If you can get your hands on the organic one I think once it has dried it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

There is a recipe for a homemade safe and organic weed killer on the article site/forum, that I am involved with.
    It may be just what you are looking for Cadrach.
    Homemade weedkiller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cadrach

Thanks Guineapigrescue and Irish Gardner. There is such a big area that sectioning off areas might be too much trouble, but I was planning on it until I see this homemade version. I will give this a try, just need to find a source of cheap vinegar.

Advertisement