Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a bank account in the US

• 21-05-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm a student heading to America (Long Island) for the Summer. I'm wondering which bank would people recommend? Do American banks have any advantages for students, and would I qualify for these advantages being a foreign student?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Probably better off asking this on Youth and Student Travel forum,which I'm going to move it to. I doubt you would qualify for student perks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

Hi IanWalsh,

I was in the US on W&T , I had account in Bank of America and was happy with them. Almost every thing is free (transactions, withdrawals) and You're getting visa debit card (regular visa not a electron one) with Your picture :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ilovedesign

I had a chase bank account which is good for manhattan. The thing is you pay charges if you money out from a different bank, so if in ireland, if you were aib, you could use aib atm's free but charged 3 euro every time you used a bank of ireland or ulster bank etc.

some banks have agreements now but i recommend getting one with the most atm's in the area. nobody is really going to charge you too many other fees other than that and your not worried about interest, so that;s all that matters!

Advertisement