Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrents on Clearwire

Options
  • 21-05-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone managed to get torrents working correctly on a clearwire connection?

Do they block certain ports or traffic?

I'm not using a router at the moment, but if one is required I can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

no p2p of any kind will work on clearwire. They block everything. Was with them for 10 months and hated it. They can be good for general web browsing if you cant get any other broadband - but for everything else they are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've sent a mail to Clearwire so I'll see what their official response is.

Worst thing is, I'm using it for completely legal purposes.

I use it to upload ISOs that we use in work. It's just handier than FTP because I can stop and start whenever I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

The official line is no bandwidth abuse, they see torrenting as an abuse of that line. I had the misfortune of using that shower of bastards for a while and my use of torrents at the time was work related, they had no interest.

I'd advise moving away from them, pronto! Or else you'll be suffering service changes without notice, network changes without notice and complete network failure at the best of times.

total sham of a service!

Just got this reply.
    Clearwire wrote:
    Thank you for contacting Clearwire Customer Care,

Peer to Peer (P2P) applications treat your computer as both
    ‘client’ and ‘server’ meaning any information you
    download to your computer using a P2P application, is then available for
    upload. Once you have installed the application your computer can act as a
    server and information is continuously uploaded from it, through our network.
    This is in direct contravention to the Clearwire terms of service.

Section 10 of your terms of service state that you may not use the service or
    take any action that will result in excessive consumption or utilization of
    Clearwire’s network resources. Such prohibited actions include but are
    not limited to: using the service to host a web server, continuously uploading
    or downloading streaming video or audio, or continuous FTP uploading or
    downloading.

Terms of Service can be viewed online at
    http://www.clearwire.ie/cwi/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=151_163

Regards
    clearw°re
    Customer Care

Looks like I'm screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SO no IPTV via Clearwire either.

6 CD for complete ISO of Fedora core 6

• Advertisement

Got a reply from an employee at Clearwire again. He says they don't block P2P traffic at all, but using P2P is against their terms of service, even when I explained that it is at most 300MB spread over a few days.

/
    Edited to remove names of employees.

Chief---
    \

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

I recently destroyed my Clearwire modem. Just hit it off a wall, and then I stood on it triumphantly.

You'll all understand why someday

Sorry.

Didn't think that posting an employees names was against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

There's a sticky at the top of this that clearly states this - Company Contact Details for staff *Warning*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

He says they don't block P2P traffic at all
    Technically no, but they do block all the ports and give the user no way to change settings in the router. P2P might work, just very very slowly, and when they notice what you're doing, they'll disconnect you. No bad thing really, if there is any alternate then take it. I guess there isn't though since you are using Clearwire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

A possible way around this would be to rent a 'seed box' , which is basically a web-hosting service that allows BitTorrent protocol . You would download and/or seed your torrents to and from this remote server and any downloaded torrents would then be downloaded to your PC from the server via http protocol .
    I cant see any contravention of Clearwire T&Cs in this and am in the process of setting this up myself . I'll report back when it's up and running .

It's not just Torrents they have a problem with, it's anything that requires constant use of the network for extended periods.

This is a bit silly, considering films and games are now legally available for download.

Would they stop someones service for downloading King Kong for instance?

Advertisement