Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network monitoring tool

Options
  • 21-05-2007 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I know that if anyone knows it will be you guys! So mod please move me if inappropriate.

I'm looking for a network monitoring tool that will allow a client of ours to watch what websites people are visiting etc.

Another option I suppose is a proxy server where I can also handle blacklisting of sites - any suggestions for this would be appreciated too!

In a nutshell, they want their staff to have access to the web for email and google and "safe sites" but don't mind monitoring the staff if they need to.

Oh and open source or free is preference!

Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

tomED wrote:
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I know that if anyone knows it will be you guys! So mod please move me if inappropriate.

You're right, the networks & comms forum is the appropriate place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sounds like the kind of thing that you need would have to do some kind of proxy. We used a transparent proxy here for a while and were able to get some very interesting stats from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Smoothwall (wiki) can do all the above. Not sure how extensible it is for commerical usage though.

Advertisement