Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dry lips :-((

• 21-05-2007 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭

Can anyone reccommend a lip balm for extremely dry lips? I've tried everything and nothing seems to help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I find the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is very good for when my lips are in a bad way, it's very moisturising and make your lips feel a lot nicer! It dries in quite quickly though, so you have to keep re-applying it. I know there's also a specific 8-hour cream lip balm, but have never tried it, so don't know how good it is. You could see if you could get a sample size at a counter maybe?

Once your lips are back to normal, try just using plain old Vaseline every day. I find it's not great at repairing chapped lips, but it's really good at making sure you don't get them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 redsauce

Carmex. You can get it in Boots. Its the business. Used it once or twice and it'll sort you right out! Its in a yellow tube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

burts bees beeswax lip balm (in the tube!more hygenic) is the business..does contain Lanolin thoough and some people are sensitive to it but i find it great as it doesnt have any petroleum in it which can be drying i find(and a little addictive!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

What helps me is putting vaseline on my lips, and rubbing over my lips gently with an old tooth brush. Works every time! But I do emphasise the gently bit! Otherwise you will end up with bleeding lips which is NOT a good look as I'm sure you'll agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Hemp lip balm from the Body Shop, works for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Laika wrote:
    I find the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is very good for when my lips are in a bad way, it's very moisturising and make your lips feel a lot nicer! It dries in quite quickly though, so you have to keep re-applying it. I know there's also a specific 8-hour cream lip balm, but have never tried it, so don't know how good it is. You could see if you could get a sample size at a counter maybe?

That stuff is magic!! Deffo worth investing in some!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I love my Aloe Vera Vaseline :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Laika wrote:
    I find the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is very good

Yup - this stuff is magic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i have elizabathe arden and carmex,prefer carmex tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Carmex - can't beat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Carmex is fab stuff- doesn't taste nice- not that i eat it!!

Nivea SOS for lips is great 2.

Also Mac Lip conditioner is great and you can get subtle shades in- it's oh so purdy:D

Lifestyle factors can cause dry lips too, so try treat the cause not just the symptom, therefore:

*make sure to drink sufficient water (1.5- 2litres, i buy a big bottle and bring it to work everyday, that way you know how much you've drank) If you are going to the gym or doing more physical activity make sure to drink more.

*Food choices can also affect the skin eg. you need certain types of fat in your diet to keep you skin soft and supple, to help break down the bad fats, to improve your brain function and aid metabolism- these are known as essential fatty acids and you can get them in oily fish{salmon, mackerel, trout}, nuts/seeds, olives, avocado's, using golden olive spread or flora instead of butter or there are supplements but it's best to obtain these from your diet.

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

as everyone else said carmex is the best you can get.i swear by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

hydrocortisol ointment if they're very dry maybe... might have to get it from doctor.

Neutrogena do a good chapstick

I use the little green tin of Vaseline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

Piste wrote:
    I love my Aloe Vera Vaseline :)

I second this. My lips get so dry that they crack and bleed this has been the only balm that has stopped this happening and they're nice and soft now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I recently started using the Neutrogena chapstick as well and find it's very good. Not at all greasy and don't need to put it on that often for it to be effective. 8 Hour Cream is good too for really dry lips but not as economical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

Have to say, I can't do without my vaseline, Elizabeth Arden is great as a moisturiser and I recently got the MAC lip conditoner in fushsia pink, very subtle and is great for dry lips if you want a bit of colour. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

redsauce wrote:
    Carmex. You can get it in Boots. Its the business. Used it once or twice and it'll sort you right out! Its in a yellow tube!

Yup, another pledge of support for carmex, great stuff, use it in the winter.
    pr-Sunscreen-Carmex_Lip_Balm-resized200.jpg

Seems to say it's 'for cold sores'. never noticed that, works well for chapped/dry lips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Blistex!

I find it works really well, and i'm prone to getting very sore, dry, chapped lips.

I used to use vaseline as well which was good but not great. Also made me look like I was wearing lip gloss, which is not a great thing for a guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Another vote for Carmex!! Used vaseline up till about 5 years ago but I find it actually dries my lips out. Been with Carmex ever since- its actually my favourite makeup item, and I have alot of makeup!

Vote Carmex number 1!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I like the Body Shop's Honey Stick or Vitamin E lip balm. They're great! I've put the honey stick on over night on seriously dry and chapped lips and by morning they were already much much better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement