Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge problem

Options
  • 21-05-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right section but here goes.....In the apartment that I'm renting (a 1 bedroom thing) I keep getting raped by the ESB. What I would like to know is this, are my extortionatly high bills (240 squid last time) because of my storage heaters or is it due to the fact that my oven and fridge are beside each other (causing my fridge to work overtime possibly?) and therefore my fridge door can feel a bit warm when I cook. The freezer box keeps icing over every couple of days too. I dont leave stuff plugged in at night or on stand-by and I'm frugal with my lights (if i aint in the room teh lights aint on.) Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I would safely say it is your storage heaters.. I am currently in an ongoing fued with the ESB for a €600 bill for a 2 bed apartment.. I found out that the rate was set wrong on my meter.. They are apparently notorious for this so my advice is to get onto your landlord and tell them you want it checked out by an electrician and then get the ESB out to look at it and see if they come up with the same thing. Be careful though, the ESB admitted to my landlord that they f$*ked up but then told me that there was no fault / blame on their behalf. Since I approached them about lying to me about it, the threatening letters have slowed down..
    This subject gets me so pissed off.. I'm just going to ring them again and vent my anger..
    Hope u get it sorted Diceicle. Let us know the outcome if any..
    BTW that bill is far too much for an apartment, no matter where the fridge is...
    G'd luck

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd say the biggest cost on your bill is the storage heaters. That said, your freezer shouldn't be freezing over in a few days. Can you hear the motor constantly whirring, or does it switch itself off and on as it should? Check seals on the fridge door too, to make sure the door closes airtight. Also might be worth checking to make sure that the temp dial in the fridge isn't turned up high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Try slipping some of that radiator backing paper (the foil lined polystyrene) between the fridge and the cooker. Any heat transfer from the oven will be bad for performance.
    Get the air leak sorted also!

Advertisement