Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 usb modem problem

• 21-05-2007 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Picked one up today. Installed fine. Got a signal. Went to connect but am getting a message saying "Connection Failed".

When I click for more info I am getting "Error 619 connection to the remote computer could not be established...."

I called three and they said the cards take 24 hours to become active which I've heard from people just isn't true.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

This is a new product, not related to the broadband add on. It is quite possible that it can take up to 24 hours for it to become activated.

If it still isn't working after waiting 24 hours, call customer service again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Not wishing to sound smart BUT -you do have the SIM in the right way up? It can happen.

(sending from my brand-new USB modem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I got the same reply from Three when i told them mine was not working when i first got it (data card when it first came out)...............One of their selling points was that it just works out of the box

But no i was fobbed off with "give it 24 hours" until i stood my ground and they did something and guess what, a re-boot of the data card and all was well.

These boards will be full of this type of issue over the next few weeks or so now that more people will sign up to Three...........and here we are doing their job for them, informing their customers of how the product works/should work.

I want paying!

I just got an order confirmation, after ordering it this morning within minutes of it going up at the online store:

"We are delighted to tell you that we have now processed your order and it has been passed to our warehouse team to get everything ready to be dispatched."

There is one caveat:
    "Important - your 3 video mobile can only be delivered to you in person. You will need to have the credit card you used to order the video mobile handy as proof of identity."

Thank God 3's delivery company takes ages to deliver anything (compared to standard An Post), so I will be back in Ireland in time. :)

Did we all crash my original USB modem post?

• Advertisement

culabula wrote:
    Did we all crash my original USB modem post?

Just typical boards.ie database issues I am afraid. It seems to happen quite often, though the site become more responsive again lately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

if you are getting a signal then the sim is in correct...error 619 is usually an apn issue...make sure that the apn has been applied correctly on the hlr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I got the same reply from Three when i told them mine was not working when i first got it (data card when it first came out)...............One of their selling points was that it just works out of the box

But no i was fobbed off with "give it 24 hours" until i stood my ground and they did something and guess what, a re-boot of the data card and all was well.

These boards will be full of this type of issue over the next few weeks or so now that more people will sign up to Three...........and here we are doing their job for them, informing their customers of how the product works/should work.

I want paying!

Oh my God. When are we going to stop acting like a pack of women in a sewing circle. Poor 3 can they do nothing right. Best value mobile broadband and all we can do is moan

Walkman wrote:
    Oh my God. When are we going to stop acting like a pack of women in a sewing circle. Poor 3 can they do nothing right. Best value mobile broadband and all we can do is moan

I think I and other paying customers have every right to moan about poor service............If I make just one person think twice about joining Three I will be happy at that, I wish I had the information i know now before I joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Walkman wrote:
    to me best value means more than the cheapest. any problem you have with 3 will be met with polite bemusement by the customer care and so i'd rather pay more for a service that works than one that doesn't work despite the inept apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I think I and other paying customers have every right to moan about poor service............If I make just one person think twice about joining Three I will be happy at that, I wish I had the information i know now before I joined.

You are allowed to return the modem within 14 days for a full refund.

randomer wrote:
    You are allowed to return the modem within 14 days for a full refund.
    Im not sure how that helps me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

just put the usb modem into the pc (xp) and no wizard started - it only recognised it as a mass storage device? any suggestions?

just put the usb modem into the pc (xp) and no wizard started - it only recognised it as a mass storage device? any suggestions?
    Give Three a call on 083 3333333, they will sort you out for sure.

Oh and report back how you got on with them. Also time how long it takes to get an answer to the question your asking.

The files needed should be contained within the 'mass storage device' -it's recognised as a virtual CD-ROM. Just click on the setup file. No need to phone 3.

3 seem to have messed up where the Mac is concerned: the zip contains a manual and an app to input the APN. But the driver is not contained.

Fortunately, I already had it downloaded from elsewhere some time ago -if anyone needs it, I'll fire it across.

Note that there appears to be a new APN for the 10GB service.

thanks, only problem was a 3 minute delay between recognising it as a mass storage device and the wizard starting - must be a slow laptop.

working fine.

question - to remove the modem do you have to go through the safe removal procedure or just shut down and remove...

thanks, only problem was a 3 minute delay between recognising it as a mass storage device and the wizard starting - must be a slow laptop.

working fine.

question - to remove the modem do you have to go through the safe removal procedure or just shut down and remove...

On a Mac, no, over on the Dark Side, the usual caveats apply :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

What kind of speeds are people getting with this new service????

mickger wrote:
    What kind of speeds are people getting with this new service????

2.7mbps in Connolly last night.

• Advertisement

I want paying!

same here - 20 times trying to connect until i read above and rebooted modem - the spanners could have at least put that in the instructions!

ps is there the equivalent of a contention ratio with this service??

:eek: look at the price for a similar service in France by SFR

"Un modem USB 3G+ à 49€ et des forfaits à partir de 20 €

Modem USB 3G+ :
    Prix du pack Modem USB 3G+ : 49€TTC
    Tarif Forfait Internet mobile :
    Forfait Internet mobile 25 Mo à 20 €/mois (avec un engagement de 24 mois ou 25 €/mois avec un engagement de 12 mois)
    Forfait Internet mobile 100 Mo à 35 €/mois (avec un engagement de 24 mois ou 40 €/mois avec un engagement de 12 mois)
    Forfait Internet mobile 500 Mo à 55 €/mois (avec engagement de 24 mois ou 60 €/mois avec un engagement de 12 mois) "

25 MEGAbyte limit for 20 a month!!
    Half a gig for 55 a month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

:eek: look at the price for a similar service in France by SFR

"Un modem USB 3G+ à 49€ et des forfaits à partir de 20 €

Modem USB 3G+ :
    Prix du pack Modem USB 3G+ : 49€TTC
    Tarif Forfait Internet mobile :
    Forfait Internet mobile 25 Mo à 20 €/mois (avec un engagement de 24 mois ou 25 €/mois avec un engagement de 12 mois)
    Forfait Internet mobile 100 Mo à 35 €/mois (avec un engagement de 24 mois ou 40 €/mois avec un engagement de 12 mois)
    Forfait Internet mobile 500 Mo à 55 €/mois (avec engagement de 24 mois ou 60 €/mois avec un engagement de 12 mois) "

25 MEGAbyte limit for 20 a month!!
    Half a gig for 55 a month!
    i suppose it costs a lot more to roll out a 3g network in such a big country and so they have to recoup their losses. for once being in ireland prevented us being ripped off :rolleyes:

i suppose it costs a lot more to roll out a 3g network in such a big country and so they have to recoup their losses. for once being in ireland prevented us being ripped off :rolleyes:

Ah, come on, there's also a population of 56+ million people! It's comparable to the UK where T-Mobile's web'n'walk is one of the best data bargains around (though what 3UK are still playing at with their 1GB for 70€, I have no idea).

France is still very dear for mobile use and SFR is one of the worst offenders.It was one country where it made more sense for me to avail of my Vodafone Passport facility (mak or return no calls, make everyone phone me!) than use SFR. In the end I got a Breizh Mobile SIM which was a bit better and worked for data out of the box.

France was one of the last countries where mobiles were adapted wholesale: in 1996-97 I was stared at in the street for having one whereas across the Alps in Italy it appeared as though everyone was born with one attached to an ear. The French still haven't cottoned on to 'doing the deal' in may ways as regards mobile use -a bit like the online retailing system where they haven't grasped that it's supposed to be cheaper than visiting a retail outlet.

As for us getting ripped off -well, we still are. It is 3 Ireland who are shaking things up a little and hopefully they will wake the others out of their complacency. But it isn't really our small island status that had helped but instead the deep pockets of Hutchinson Whampoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

culabula wrote:
    2.7mbps in Connolly last night.

Any chance of a picture of it connected to the laptop? I am wondering how far out it sticks (don't want to stab the person sitting beside me on the train :)).

I am still going through the "Do I really need it phase" and all I can come up with is "I don't need it, but I do want it".

tom dunne wrote:
    Any chance of a picture of it connected to the laptop? I am wondering how far out it sticks (don't want to stab the person sitting beside me on the train :)).

I am still going through the "Do I really need it phase" and all I can come up with is "I don't need it, but I do want it".

Sticks out?? It's a datamodem, looks for all the world like an Apple product or a very tiny white mouse. It connects by a short USB cable and you can use the supplied velcro to stick it to the side of your screen or lid if you prefer.

How are you going to stab anyone with a round white svelte shiny thing? :-)

culabula wrote:
    Sticks out?? It's a datamodem, looks for all the world like an Apple product or a very tiny white mouse. It connects by a short USB cable and you can use the supplied velcro to stick it to the side of your screen or lid if you prefer.

How are you going to stab anyone with a round white svelte shiny thing? :-)

Ah, I was thinking something along the lines of a USB memory stick. It's hard to tell from the picture on the 3 website.

No stabbing for my fellow passengers, so. :)

tom dunne wrote:
    Ah, I was thinking something along the lines of a USB memory stick. It's hard to tell from the picture on the 3 website.

No stabbing for my fellow passengers, so. :)

Nah, that's just the yoke in isolation. You get two cables with it and the shorter one means it's just going to sit there like a big huge fat white mouse except that it's a tiny one.

Staying off topic for the moment (sorry!), I see you use it on the train, which is where I'll be using it (except, I'll be going East<->West), any problems with dropping connections when moving between cells? Is the signal consistent enough? Are speeds generally above 512k?

I won't be streaming or anything, just up/downloading from websites and of course more general surfing.

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    Staying off topic for the moment (sorry!), I see you use it on the train, which is where I'll be using it (except, I'll be going East<->West), any problems with dropping connections when moving between cells? Is the signal consistent enough? Are speeds generally above 512k?

I won't be streaming or anything, just up/downloading from websites and of course more general surfing.

I am almost positive that you will drop connections: I would say that this is inevitable. Connection is very easy to re-establish with the modem unlike phone-as-BT-modem.

Speeds are usually excellent.

I have on occasion been able to share the connection via Airport with a) fellow passengers and b) my PSP, allowing me to watch TV from home using Locationfree technology. It can be *that* good.

Advertisement