Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 usb modem problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

tom dunne wrote:
    Staying off topic for the moment (sorry!), I see you use it on the train, which is where I'll be using it (except, I'll be going East<->West), any problems with dropping connections when moving between cells? Is the signal consistent enough? Are speeds generally above 512k?

I won't be streaming or anything, just up/downloading from websites and of course more general surfing.
    Tom, send me a PM with email address and I can send you a map showing "some" of the route you mentioned. Its quite detailed and is not the standard map from the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Great, thanks. PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

RE: PCMCIA vs. USB

Speeds in the airport using the PCMCIA card are excellent. However at home its very poor. Has anyone compared them both speed wise? Will it make any sort of difference having the USB jobbie?

Thanks
    ambrose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

RE: PCMCIA vs. USB

Speeds in the airport using the PCMCIA card are excellent. However at home its very poor. Has anyone compared them both speed wise? Will it make any sort of difference having the USB jobbie?

Thanks
    ambrose

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Short and sweet! Thanks cula

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

culabula wrote:
    2.7mbps in Connolly last night.

With full coverage i'm getting a max speed of 1.5mbps. There seems to be a constant flow of traffic being sent and received from the modem even though i'm not surfing the net. Should that be happening??? Should i be getting better speeds with full coverage being the way it is??? As it stand with those speeds i think i would be returning this within the 14 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mickger wrote:
    With full coverage i'm getting a max speed of 1.5mbps. <snip> Should i be getting better speeds with full coverage being the way it is??? As it stand with those speeds i think i would be returning this within the 14 days.

I don't think any service of this nature will give the full speed advertised. If you read the Three website carefully, it says "up to 3.6Mb". Personally, I think 1.5mbps continually is damn good.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Short and sweet! Thanks cula

You may, however, be able to get better speeds at home by using an external antenna with your PC card. A small one should suffice.

Edit: Provided you are currently getting a weak 3G signal. If you're on a GPRS signal, it would not make a difference unless you have line of sight and install a big dish on your roof. :D

mickger wrote:
    With full coverage i'm getting a max speed of 1.5mbps. There seems to be a constant flow of traffic being sent and received from the modem even though i'm not surfing the net. Should that be happening??? Should i be getting better speeds with full coverage being the way it is??? As it stand with those speeds i think i would be returning this within the 14 days.

Think yourself lucky! You should try using it here in Belfast. Some of the following words conjure up the images I'm looking for. Paint. Dry. Snails.

Can't wait to get back to the Free-State-On-Acid tomorrow, tank de lawd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

mickger wrote:

The web site very clearly states that 3's HSDPA network deliver speeds of up to 3.6 Mbps, not 3.6 Mbps all the time. In fact, it states clearly that speeds will vary depending on network conditions and how many users are using the service at the same time, etc..

1.5 Mbps is a very good speed for this kind of network, and 3 will be upgrading their network to 7.2 Mbps soon. The modem is firmware upgradable to support the higher speed.

I don't see any reason to cancel. It's working as advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

The web site very clearly states that 3's HSDPA network deliver speeds of up to 3.6 Mbps, not 3.6 Mbps all the time. In fact, it states clearly that speeds will vary depending on network conditions and how many users are using the service at the same time, etc..

1.5 Mbps is a very good speed for this kind of network, and 3 will be upgrading their network to 7.2 Mbps soon. The modem is firmware upgradable to support the higher speed.

I don't see any reason to cancel. It's working as advertised.

Point taken guys. Just when i saw a guy in a previous post getting 2.7 mbps i thought i might get that too.
    Just on another issue the modem is not installing on my girlfriends notebook which has the Chinese version of Windows Xp. Is there any software or fix for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 danicole

culabula wrote:
    3 seem to have messed up where the Mac is concerned: the zip contains a manual and an app to input the APN. But the driver is not contained.

Fortunately, I already had it downloaded from elsewhere some time ago -if anyone needs it, I'll fire it across.

Note that there appears to be a new APN for the 10GB service.

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards-drivers.htm

Try this

danicole wrote:

Yes, I know this: the point is that on Monday night when I downloaded there were no Mac drivers contained in the zip. But I already had 'em.

mickger wrote:
    Point taken guys. Just when i saw a guy in a previous post getting 2.7 mbps i thought i might get that too.
    Just on another issue the modem is not installing on my girlfriends notebook which has the Chinese version of Windows Xp. Is there any software or fix for it?

Yes, I achieved this in the station itself, but not 10 minutes later when flying past Clontarf.

Akula wrote:
    Picked one up today. Installed fine. Got a signal. Went to connect but am getting a message saying "Connection Failed".

When I click for more info I am getting "Error 619 connection to the remote computer could not be established...."

I called three and they said the cards take 24 hours to become active which I've heard from people just isn't true.

Any ideas?
    You never did say if you got it sorted or how??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Just sending this from my new modem. Took a day for it to work and finally I have broadband at home.

I live in the country in Kildare, no broadband services out here at all. Hell, my dial up only connects at 16.8kbp so it's unusable.

This connects at 3.6mb, actual speed about 1.2 to 1.5 in the garden and slows to about 600kb in the house. For me this is what I've been waiting for.

So first opinions are excellent, we'll see how it goes from here.

Hmmm
    So were you getting the same error as reported here? A friend got one last night and he was told last night to allow 24 hours and today told to allow 48 hours!!!!! Trying to figure out if its actually time that fixes it or something else as all seems ok on the pc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

whisht wrote:
    Hmmm
    So were you getting the same error as reported here? A friend got one last night and he was told last night to allow 24 hours and today told to allow 48 hours!!!!! Trying to figure out if its actually time that fixes it or something else as all seems ok on the pc etc

I got mine yesterday, was told to wait 24 hours for the sim to activate and to disable any firewalls and anti-virus apps prior to and during installation (particularly if they were Norton applications). I'll be installing tonight - hopefully everything will work out ok!

whisht wrote:
    Hmmm

Well I got it yesterday and I was getting the 619 error, and when I tried today all was rosy. Was a little over 24 hours, but in saying that it was the first time I tried it, it might have been working since this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

does anyone have the setup file to post somewhere, there's no files on my modem, therefore no wizard. thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

richie.c wrote:
    Well I got it yesterday and I was getting the 619 error, and when I tried today all was rosy. Was a little over 24 hours, but in saying that it was the first time I tried it, it might have been working since this morning.

As someone mentioned in the previous thread (now corrupted) the 619 error happens because you try to connect after the installation - all you have to do is reboot the modem - nothing to do with waiting 24 hours in my experience - all that happened there i would guess is that you inadvertently rebooted the modem - albeit 24 hours later!
    deadduck wrote:
    does anyone have the setup file to post somewhere, there's no files on my modem, therefore no wizard. thanks in advance

when i was setting up the modem the wizard took a full 10 minutes to start - it started just before i was going to start all over again. So be patient!

[QUOTEwhen i was setting up the modem the wizard took a full 10 minutes to start - it started just before i was going to start all over again. So be patient![/QUOTE]

but theres no files at all on it. in any case, im messing with it for about an hour now, and it's been sitting here about 25 mins untouched. nothing doing, and the modem stopped flashing about a min after i connected it

it shouldnt make a difference but i DID reboot the pc as well - so unplug the modem (using safe remove) power off pc, power on , and then insert modem and do NOTHING !

it shouldnt make a difference but i DID reboot the pc as well - so unplug the modem (using safe remove) power off pc, power on , and then insert modem and do NOTHING !

i'll give it a go now

still nothing. i should point out i'm on vista, maybe that something to do with it. it says vista compatible on the box though

any chance someone could email me the setup files if i pm them my email address?

googling for vista drivers for the e220 throws up a few ideas
    but i would simply ring 3 - they must have faced this already by now.

finally got it going. booted with the double ended cable, and after a few more reboots i was up and running. thanks for the help and ideas

As someone mentioned in the previous thread (now corrupted) the 619 error happens because you try to connect after the installation - all you have to do is reboot the modem - nothing to do with waiting 24 hours in my experience - all that happened there i would guess is that you inadvertently rebooted the modem - albeit 24 hours later

No that was not the case as I had installed it onto a desktop and a laptop and both had the same issue even after several reboots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote:
    I got mine yesterday, was told to wait 24 hours for the sim to activate and to disable any firewalls and anti-virus apps prior to and during installation (particularly if they were Norton applications). I'll be installing tonight - hopefully everything will work out ok!

and it did, first time. 3.6mbps, but wasn't online long enough to see was that consistent (sopranos took precedence!)

so far so good.

Advertisement