Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 usb modem problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭grumpypaddy

hi Lads, a mate of mine just got the usb data modem and has an intel macbook. he installs the software and when it gets as far as installing it asks to input the apn which is given as "three.ie" it comes back with ... "device not found" anyone any ideas??. he just bought the modem this morning, does it need to be left for this magical 24 hours? he rang three help and thats what they told him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

hi Lads, a mate of mine just got the usb data modem and has an intel macbook. he installs the software and when it gets as far as installing it asks to input the apn which is given as "three.ie" it comes back with ... "device not found" anyone any ideas??. he just bought the modem this morning, does it need to be left for this magical 24 hours? he rang three help and thats what they told him...

As far as I can see, "three.ie" appears to be arse. Use 3ireland.ie

Incidentally, it should come back with something like "apn failed or succeeded". "Device not found" is generally the message given when trying to connect and the modem is either not plugged in or has JUST been connected and you need to wait a few more seconds.

just tried that and it still comes back with device not found... tried installing driver with device plugged out, then brought up app to configure apn and still saying "device not found" not used to having trouble setting up stuff on a mac, any other ideas? the modem is flashing blue so there seems to be some kick out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

culabula had to use his own drivers on a MAC setup the other day also. Has your friend got the correct MAC drivers? It seems 3 didnt include them with the modem

• Advertisement

just tried that and it still comes back with device not found... tried installing driver with device plugged out, then brought up app to configure apn and still saying "device not found" not used to having trouble setting up stuff on a mac, any other ideas? the modem is flashing blue so there seems to be some kick out of it!

Thing is, on a Mac, it should be simplicity itself (I'm sending this from my MacBook/modem)

The zip offered by 3 originally did not include the driver required -are you installing first of all an installation file called HuaweiDataCardDriver(2.7)-intel.pkg?

whisht wrote:
    culabula had to use his own drivers on a MAC setup the other day also. Has your friend got the correct MAC drivers? It seems 3 didnt include them with the modem

They should be there now -the name of the downloaded unzipped folder has now changed to "MAC DATAMODEM" and contains the proper drivers.

thanks lads, had to reinstall it once or twice and gave it a bit of a kick and it worked ok... have to say that it is faster than the vodafone one i use, and a hell of a lot cheaper!! (limerick city)

thanks lads, had to reinstall it once or twice and gave it a bit of a kick and it worked ok... have to say that it is faster than the vodafone one i use, and a hell of a lot cheaper!! (limerick city)

O How True!

Have just hit 3,2 on the Dublin Quays today (Capel St Bridge).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The modem for the Mac does not even seem to require a "real" driver like most USB devices would, all the installer does is drop a text file into the modem scripts folder, which as it turns out is simply a modified version of the Apple 56k modem script. I opened it with TextEdit to have a look.

Anyway, apart from some wrong instructions provided by 3, I have been really very pleased with the product. It seems to work as advertised, though coverage in my area is still a bit sketchy, meaning I don't get anything faster than 40 kBytes down. Still feels like broadband for web surfing, though, and 3 have informed me they are putting up 2 new 3G masts in my town (Ballyhaunis), so this should be sorted soon enough. I look forward to taking it with me when I travel. Have to say, I really like the look and feel of the USB modem. It's very small and shiny!

This is the first 3 product I can recommend.

The modem for the Mac does not even seem to require a "real" driver like most USB devices would, all the installer does is drop a text file into the modem scripts folder, which as it turns out is simply a modified version of the Apple 56k modem script. I opened it with TextEdit to have a look.

Anyway, apart from some wrong instructions provided by 3, I have been really very pleased with the product. It seems to work as advertised, though coverage in my area is still a bit sketchy, meaning I don't get anything faster than 40 kBytes down. Still feels like broadband for web surfing, though, and 3 have informed me they are putting up 2 new 3G masts in my town (Ballyhaunis), so this should be sorted soon enough. I look forward to taking it with me when I travel. Have to say, I really like the look and feel of the USB modem. It's very small and shiny!

This is the first 3 product I can recommend.

Yes, small, shiny -and really complements Apple products into the bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

culabula wrote:
    Have just hit 3,2 on the Dublin Quays today (Capel St Bridge).

Just curious to know how did you measure your speed? Do you have to be on top of a 3 mast to get such good speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Is 3ireland.ie the correct APN to use on this 10gig bundle when using the sim card in a phone?

Has anyone tried to use it in an ordinary 3g phone, non-hsdpa? Will it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

flodis79 wrote:
    Is 3ireland.ie the correct APN to use on this 10gig bundle when using the sim card in a phone?

Has anyone tried to use it in an ordinary 3g phone, non-hsdpa? Will it work?

I tried, and got "sim registration failed". It does not appear to work, but I will try again later and post here if there is any change. And "3ireland.ie" is indeed the correct APN. "three.ie" will _not_ work under any circumstances. The manual is just plain wrong.

mickger wrote:
    Just curious to know how did you measure your speed? Do you have to be on top of a 3 mast to get such good speeds?

speedtest.ie
    speedtest.net
    and so on.....

I tried, and got "sim registration failed". It does not appear to work, but I will try again later and post here if there is any change. And "3ireland.ie" is indeed the correct APN. "three.ie" will _not_ work under any circumstances. The manual is just plain wrong.

Am a bit concerned about this handset business....how is the ordinary punter expected to monitor his usage if it won't work in a handset (which was the course of action suggested by 3 staff)? They will really need to get "My 3" working online and very soon, even of 10GB is a lot.

Will be very curious to see what happens to my existing SIM when it is migrated to the new tariff on the 09/06.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

I had a bit of trouble setting it up but then I disabled Norton and rebooted and it set up okay then. When I tried to connect to the internet first it tried to use my dial-up connection so I had to manually go into start-connect to-3 Datamodem HSPDA. I then went into control panel-network connections and cancelled my dial-up as the default connection and made the 3 datamodem the default instead.

I just checked my speed with speedtest.ie and am getting a download speed of 876kbps and an upload speed of 50.0 kbps. Okay I'm slightly disappointed that it's not a couple of Mb's but feck it, people, it's BROADBAND and I'm seriously over the moon with it! I can now turn on images when I'm surfing! Begone forever, evil Eircom dial-up!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote:
    and it did, first time. 3.6mbps, but wasn't online long enough to see was that consistent (sopranos took precedence!)

so far so good.

maybe not. having used it a bit over the weekend, I'm not getting 3.6mbps - the computer tells me I'm connected at that in the taskbar but in the 3 control panel for it I'm getting upto 1.4mbps, and I reckon an average of about 7-800kbps. However, Friday night I was getting very poor hsdpa coverage, it was switching back and forth between 3g and hsdpa for the 3-4 hours I was online. I have a feeling that the coverage where I live may not be consistent, I'll be going into the 3 store today to check with them. And if it's not, it'll be going back.

I'm assuming there's no way to boost the signal?

Yes and 3 have now admitted it: this has just appeared in the drivers section of the site:

"Note: If you are having problems connecting to the APN detailed in the help document, try using "3ireland.ie" as your APN"

At least that's now three(!) errors that they've attended to in a week....bodes well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Up_Mayo

I got the new 3 modem last week. Have had a torrid time with it. Got it last Friday. Told that it should work that evening....in the meantime went to web cafe to download software as instructed. Tried it that evening. Got message 'Data Card Invalid'.
    Rang 3 customer service. They told me to wait 24 hours.
    Waited til the next day & tried it again. Same error message....rang 3....told me it actually takes 48 hrs to activate.
    Waited 'til Sunday afternoon.......same error message. Rang 3.....'Sorry sir, but it takes 72 hours to activate!'................
    This time I got a bit forceful & requested to speak to a tech support person. This guy told me to uninstall the software & reload software from a 3 web address he gave me. Went to the web cafe & folllowed his instructions. It was the same software I had originally downloaded!!!!! Rang 3 again. Different Tech Support guy asked me what kind of laptop & operating system I had. Told him it was new Toshiba laptop & Vista operating system. He stated that the modem does not work with some manufacturers laptop & to return the product for a refund............ surely there has to be a solution to this problem!!!!

I thought this service would be ideal for me. Do a lot of work on the run lately & really need reliable mobile broadband connection. Can anyone out there make a suggestion on either getting this 3 modem to work or a comparable product? According to one of the girls in the Carphone Warehouse, the Vodafone alternative doesn't work with Vista!!!!???? Is this true????

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

i dont have vista but have a look at the quotes from a couple of solutions below...

1) "I got mine working on home premium, after I installed the software I had to go device manager and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers I had to update USB mass storage device, thereafter I had to reboot the PC with the modem plugged in. After booting up it picked up the modem as a USB composite device and installed all the drivers required. :)

2) Have you upgraded the modem to support vista, if you have copy only the vista drivers for the modem
    into C:\WINDOWS\system32 and direct your search to this folder
    C:\WINDOWS\system32, I tried this on a desktop machine which gave me the same errors (data card invalid) It works like a charm now.

Its all working now, writing this response from my vista desktop with my E220!

Looks like I missed putting it into the Windows/System32 folder...

3) someone else disabled their internal modem and that fixed it...

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

lads does the usb modem work in non-3g areas. (ie does it fall back on a gprs network).

and if it does work in gprs areas are you charged at the same rate as in the 3g areas.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

mkennedy wrote:
    lads does the usb modem work in non-3g areas. (ie does it fall back on a gprs network).

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

thanks.
    mobile broadband add-ons for the phones do work in non-3g areas though don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I got the USB modem yesterday - it seems to have installed fine but I've just been getting a green double flashing light from the modem. The instructions say this means it's looking for a signal.

I'm in the sticks in Kildare by the way.

Has anyone else had this double green flashing light or did your modems detect a signal straight off ? Could it be caused by the SIM card not being activated ?

I'm just hoping I won't be in the 15% who can't get it ....

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

sorry for hi-jacking. would torrents work with the modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bought the modem last Thursday, worked fine for a couple of days.

Tried it last night but kept getting the error619 message, though it might have been an issue with coverage so tried this morning when home from work and still no joy :(

Stupid question perhaps, but how do I reboot the modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Bought the modem last Thursday, worked fine for a couple of days.

Tried it last night but kept getting the error619 message, though it might have been an issue with coverage so tried this morning when home from work and still no joy :(

Stupid question perhaps, but how do I reboot the modem?

I have the exact same problem, I was surfing happily last night and just after 7 o clock it just disconnected and haven't been able to reconnect since. I have a signal but it keeps giving me the 619 error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Up_Mayo

Many thanks for the advice above. Stuck all the drivers in 'System 32'. Getting this 'error619' thing now.........anyone found a reason why this is happening & a possible solution.?

Advertisement