Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 usb modem problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

sorry for hi-jacking. would torrents work with the modem?

i'd say your bigger problem would be the data allowance - with the torrents youre uploading as well so it would be eating up the allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Up_Mayo wrote:
    Many thanks for the advice above. Stuck all the drivers in 'System 32'. Getting this 'error619' thing now.........anyone found a reason why this is happening & a possible solution.?

The reason is Three put this product in the market too soon and dont have the resources to fix problems when they happen...............

Give customer service a call in India, you will be told it will be fixed within 24 hours. then give them another call when the 24 hours is up and you will be told "ah no its 48 hours" like you are stupid for calling because everyone knows its 48 hours. DUH!

The 619 can be caused by many things, its like a generic error code. Its not anything you are doing, its the network thats at fault so they only thinkg you can do is wait for Three to fix the problem...................Like in my case 3 months now.

Good luck

so the only thing you can do is wait for Three to fix the problem...................Like in my case 3 months now.

Good luck

hopefully in this case, as its happened to a few people at the same time they will cop it!

some vodafone customers had the 619 problem because vodafone had trouble taking out their first direct debit and stopped the service! so ring 3 and ask if you are a suspected bad debtor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

sorry for hi-jacking. would torrents work with the modem?

I tried it and torrents seem to work fine but as another poster said your uploading at the same time so it will use up the 10gig limit fairly quickly. I wouldn't recommend getting this if your planning on using it for torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

hopefully in this case, as its happened to a few people at the same time they will cop it!

Just off the phone, they've had a number of complaints and they've passedd the details on to their tech team.

Told it should be 24 hours...I won't hold my breath...

• Advertisement

someone in 3 should be shot over this "24 hours" thing. next time you're on ask them where they got 24 hours from exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Just off the phone, they've had a number of complaints and they've passedd the details on to their tech team.

Hopefully they'll get it sorted soon, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If you are having problems with Threes "Customer Service" please read over my posts on the subject, it now seems to be getting worse as more customers come on line.............

Its also strange how the people who were defending Three at every turn are not saying much now the poo has hit the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

anyone have a detailed coverage map for Gorey, Wexford ,Carnew areas or anyone using the card in any of these areas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

same troubles here, 619 errors since yesterday evening. 3 would want to get this sorted. I hope its not a sign of things to come, cos its been great so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Three has reappeared - I hope it will stay up...

Mine back up as well, in Swords.

Getting 1.21Mbps download, 39.9kbps upload, but I'm in a bit of a blackspot for mobile coverage (on o2 anyway).

Just taken a call from 3 customer service to see if I could connect OK, nice touch I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you are having problems with Threes "Customer Service" please read over my posts on the subject, it now seems to be getting worse as more customers come on line.............

Its also strange how the people who were defending Three at every turn are not saying much now the poo has hit the fan.

Actually, 2 encounters with 3's Customer Services in 2 days and both have been quite...satisfactory :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Got sorted - upgraded USB to PC to 2.0, bought USB extensoin cord and stuck the modem out of the window.

Speedtest.ie says I'm getting 600Kb/sec in Ballysax, near Kilcullen.

I love Three !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 conj

long_b wrote:
    Got sorted - upgraded USB to PC to 2.0, bought USB extensoin cord and stuck the modem out of the window.

Speedtest.ie says I'm getting 600Kb/sec in Ballysax, near Kilcullen.

I love Three !!!

I live in Kilcullen and the curragh and vodafone struggles in the curragh (no suprise there) but reaches 2g signals in Kilcullen. What kind of signal are you receiving from three modem ? I also use a USB extension cord

It varies - tonight from speedtest it's 421 kbps down, 52.6 kbps up. It does vary thought - the 3 connection monitor shows it varies between 3G and HSDPA signal.

I think the lowest was c. 250 kbps (last night). It was flying over the bank holiday weekend

I'm in Ballysax, and it looks like I can only reception from the one room so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PunchI

I've read in a few different posts on this thread, that rebooting the usb modem has sometimes helped. I am getting the 'Data modem Invalid' message. Picked up the modem yesterday and spent hours last night installing, uninstalling, reinstalling etc but to no avail. Tried it on both Vista and XP on 2 seperate machines. Got the '24 hours' line from 3. I didn't encounter any problems with the actual installation iteself.

My question I guess is, what does rebooting the data modem entail? Is it rebooting my laptop with the modem still plugged in or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

is the modem usb 2.0 or usb 1.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

PunchI wrote:
    I've read in a few different posts on this thread, that rebooting the usb modem has sometimes helped. I am getting the 'Data modem Invalid' message. Picked up the modem yesterday and spent hours last night installing, uninstalling, reinstalling etc but to no avail. Tried it on both Vista and XP on 2 seperate machines. Got the '24 hours' line from 3. I didn't encounter any problems with the actual installation iteself.

My question I guess is, what does rebooting the data modem entail? Is it rebooting my laptop with the modem still plugged in or what?

Reboot the laptop without the modem connected. Wait until WINDOWS is completely up and running trhen connect the modem. Best is to use a genuine port at the back of the computer and not going via a hub.

I had this connect/reconnect/connect thing as well in XP SP2. went into the device manager and disabled the internal CD-ROM part of the modem. works since then now.

but never got it to work in VISTA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PunchI

Reboot the laptop without the modem connected. Wait until WINDOWS is completely up and running trhen connect the modem. Best is to use a genuine port at the back of the computer and not going via a hub.

I had this connect/reconnect/connect thing as well in XP SP2. went into the device manager and disabled the internal CD-ROM part of the modem. works since then now.

but never got it to work in VISTA.

Managed to get it working on an old XP desktop, but still no joy with Vista. Can now see how I could get it to work on Vista (Ultimate 64 bit), but no can do until 64 bit drivers are made available by Huawei.

Anybody got a work around, or successfully installed on Ultimate?

sorry if this question has been asked a million times - using the 3 usb modem in waterford at moment - think its a 3g signal (not hsdpa) - but if its only gprs i presume there is no charge only lower speeds? afraid of racking up a bill!

or does it simply not work in a non 3g area thus i must be in one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It simply does not work when not in a 3G area.

Mine alternates between 3G and HSDPA signal all the time and it works on both.

Speaking of running up a bill - has anyone been able to reliably check their usage ?

I've been on to 3 customer service 3 or 4 times - first person said I'd 950 MB left,5 days later I had 8.8 GB, the next day it was 9.1 GB free (within the same monthly billing cycle).

The modem manager application says I've used about 6.8 GB.

podgeandrodge - what's this "no charge for 3G usage" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

long_b wrote:
    Mine alternates between 3G and HSDPA signal all the time and it works on both.

Speaking of running up a bill - has anyone been able to reliably check their usage ?

I've been on to 3 customer service 3 or 4 times - first person said I'd 950 MB left,5 days later I had 8.8 GB, the next day it was 9.1 GB free (within the same monthly billing cycle).

The modem manager application says I've used about 6.8 GB.

podgeandrodge - what's this "no charge for 3G usage" ?

If you have a spare handset you can put the datamodem SIM in there and check your usage/balance via Planet 3.

He meant no charge for GPRS (2/2.5G) -the old arrangement was that the 3GB tariff allows national roaming on Vodafone when no 3G signal was available, without penalty, This is not the case with the more recent 10GB tariff.

Getting p***d off with 3 now ...

They cannot sort out a figure for my usage and I'm only getting 8.6 kpbs down at the moment.

Has anyone got an accurate usage figure from them ?

I'm thinking of breaking the contract as I'm after the 14 day trial - has anyone done this ?

long_b, I have so far called 3 twice about my usage, and they have always been able to give me an accurate account of my usage, which is well below 10 GB. The first month I downloaded 800 MB in total, and this month I have downloaded 900 MB so far.

As far as breaking the contract, there is a fee for this, and you will have to pay the remaining months in full (or at least partial). So you are better off sticking with the contract.

Further to my last post, 3 are currently developing an online version of planet3 that you'll be able to access from any internet connection. This will be available "soon" (so they say).

Thanks Urban Weigl

Have you found that the application that connects the modem has an accurate "Total Volumne Statistic" ?

Mine says I've used c 7GB which might be right, but 3 say I have used less than 2GB (which is nonsense).

• Advertisement

The information they give you on the phone is probably more accurate. Maybe they tried to tell you that you had 2 GB left? I just thought of that since when I called me, they told me 9.2 GB, but than clarified that this was the amount I had left (rather than used). Hope that helps...

You could always install a third party utility to monitor your usage.

Advertisement