Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personating agents...

Options
  • 21-05-2007 6:35pm

...anyone else doing it? Working during the day but will go in when things get a bit more frenzied, after 5.30.

What are the rules on mobiles this year? Does it vary depending on what the County Registrar says?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I vaguely recognize the term.

Please explain for the benifit of us who dont know what it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭johnlambe

Agent J wrote:
    I vaguely recognize the term.

Please explain for the benifit of us who dont know what it is....

A personation agent is an agent present at a polling station. (They sit at the desk in the polling station. Technically a polling station is one of those desks, with a ballot box, not the whole building with multiple boxes).

They can observe to see that the ballot box is empty before polling and that it is sealed after polling (the tally people can observe it being opened at the count), to ensure that procedures are followed in identfying voters, and, theoretically could try to remember voters faces to make sure the same person doesn't vote twice.

Other useful things you can do is to make sure that the stamp punches the ballot paper properly (all holes have to at least make an impression on the paper, otherwise the vote is treated as spoiled) and ensure that the ballot paper account (the number of votes taken from the pad, the number replaced when a voter makes a mistake, etc.) is filled in correctly. (They would have got the latter wrong if I hadn't been there last time, so I suppose that makes it worthwhile).

As far as I know, the deadline for nominations was today (Monday) at 17:00.
    You have to be nominated by a candidate or his "election agent" (as defined in the Electoral Acts, as far as I know).

My nomination might not have been in time.

Anyway, it would be good for democracy is more people did it. My impression is that few people do.

Advertisement