Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to use my two votes

Options
  • 21-05-2007 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I got my polling card for my new address delivered. I also got a seperate one sent to my old (parents address), I'm guessing I could vote twice if I so wished. Does this not seem a bit, I don't know, unconstitutional/worrying/incompetent ?
    How widespread is this, could it be open to abuse ?

As far as I can remember I filled out whatever form was sent out months back to register my change of address but can't remember if it included details of my old registration address.
    Both cards are for the same constituency.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sure why not use both of them. A Fine Gael candidate and his wife deliberately did this in the last local elections. Registering both his and his wife at their address and again at his home address using their names in Irish. Use your other vote to double your say on who get to run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

FX Meister wrote:
    Sure why not use both of them. A Fine Gael candidate and his wife deliberately did this in the last local elections. Registering both his and his wife at their address and again at his home address using their names in Irish. Use your other vote to double your say on who get to run the country.

Really? Where they prosecuted for it? If not they should have been.

Personally i believe that if you vote twice intentionally then you are guilty of treason and should be treated very harshly such as 5 years in jail.

Yes it is an over the top reaction but it should served to discourgae anyone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

FX Meister wrote:

Do you have a link to backup this very serious accusation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

FX Meister wrote:
    Sure why not use both of them. A Fine Gael candidate and his wife deliberately did this in the last local elections. Registering both his and his wife at their address and again at his home address using their names
    Interesting how a relatively new user comes in to spread unsubstantiated allegtions against unnamed FG candidates. I don't expect there is much in the way of detail/substantiation?
    in Irish.
    You sure that's not Michael McDowell? Oh, forgot, he only uses the Irish language to introduce bills he doesn't want debate on, like survaillance legislation and whatnot.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sell your second vote on eBay. With the polls so tight I'm sure all the parties would love to buy an extra vote for themselves. :D

SeanW wrote:
    Interesting how a relatively new user comes in to spread unsubstantiated allegtions against unnamed FG candidates. I don't expect there is much in the way of detail/substantiation?

Relatively new? You did notice that FX Meister is here longer than you, didn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think I'm in the same position but my parents live in a different constituency. No question really, I'll vote once here and that'll be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Contact a paper or media outlet to show that the registry problems haven't been fixed, even when you try to get it fixed by getting a change of address form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Ask Pat O'Connor, Pat O'Connor. He'll tell you what to do with your second vote.

Agent J, just in case youdon't know he was caught in the act of voting a second time. He was also CJ Haugheys election agent, sos tragnely enough got nothing more than a slap on the wrist (and the nickname John O'Connor, John O'Connor of course).

Of course him being a FFcuker that was seen more as a badge of honour rather than any shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Same situation with my sister, registered here and her constituency two miles down the road.

Quite interesting though that if you check the register online she's not there - she uses her Irish name and the search can't recognise fadas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Of course him being a FFcuker that was seen more as a badge of honour rather than any shame.

I thought the term was Fianna Failure...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭leche solara

Want to be careful here.
    Boards could be in trouble for encouraging someone to vote twice, when its illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Sell one on ebay? :D

SeanW wrote:
    What makes you think I'm new? I've been here longer than you, post count aside.

jhegarty wrote:
    It was in the last local elections. I had a copy of the electoral register at the time and that's where I saw it. I'll see if I still have it at home and I'll scan the details and post them. As far as I know he pulled this stunt on his own and when Fine Gael found out he got rapped on the knuckles from them and it was sorted out before voting day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

i don't have a vote, you could vote for me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Really, was that necessary? Name calling is childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

FX Meister wrote:
    What makes you think I'm new? I've been here longer than you, post count aside.
    My bad, I glanced too quickly at your stats. I stand over the rest of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

FX Meister
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhegarty
    It was in the last local elections. I had a copy of the electoral register at the time and that's where I saw it. I'll see if I still have it at home and I'll scan the details and post them. As far as I know he pulled this stunt on his own and when Fine Gael found out he got rapped on the knuckles from them and it was sorted out before voting day.

That last bit of the story seems kinda important and should probably have gone in your first post about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ask John O'Connor, John O'Connor. He'll tell you what to do with your second vote.

Agent J, just in case youdon't know he was caught in the act of voting a second time. He was also CJ Haugheys election agent, sos tragnely enough got nothing more than a slap on the wrist (and the nickname John O'Connor, John O'Connor of course).

Please, if you've only insults to hurl at a member of a political party, then keep them to yourself.

Members of FF can and do criticise members of their own party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I just heard a load of callers on FM104 saying they'd received at least 2 voting cards with names in Irish, names spelt differently and one guy got a voting card for his 4 year old son.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

passive wrote:
    That last bit of the story seems kinda important and should probably have gone in your first post about it...

I don't know about anyone else but I presumed his first post said they voted twice (illegal) and not that they were registered twice like lots of people are....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭johnlambe

I don't know why they don't use RSI numbers on the electoral register.
    FF/PDs could easily have resolved this problem and didn't.

As for voting twice, it depends on whether you support democracy.

(Here we have people talking about voting twice and a lot of people don't even vote once. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

vote early vote often i say !

mind you it is illegal with a possible jail sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ask John O'Connor, John O'Connor. He'll tell you what to do with your second vote.

'twas Pat, Pat O'Connor, not John, John. His daughter Niamh worked in the FF press office before moving onto a career in crime journalism

I suspect any agent of Charlie Haughey's called John O'Connor may just have established grounds to send out a nasty Solicitor's letter to Boards.ie!!

Pat O'Connor Pat O'Connor, on the other hand...

RainyDay wrote:
    'twas Pat, Pat O'Connor, not John, John. His daughter Niamh worked in the FF press office before moving onto a career in crime journalism

My mistake. Abject apologies to any election agent of CJ's called John O'Connor reading this, my mistake. It was Pat O'Connor. Just goes to show I should have not relied on memory, and should have checked before posting tongue in cheek.

Conor, wasn't my intention to cause any solicitors letters to go to anyone. I enjoy the banter on here and was taking part in what I thought was a humourous way. I wouldn't want this to adversely affect boards.ie or any political debate on here.

Thank you both for bringing this to my attention and giving me the chance to correct it.

I'll go off into the bold corner now. :o

EDIT: This has shown me to think twice before posting in haste! Once again abject apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

johnlambe wrote:
    As for voting twice, it depends on whether you support democracy.

(Here we have people talking about voting twice and a lot of people don't even vote once. :) )

Bit like the govt disenfranchising students by holding the election on a thursday in exam season.....

that's hardly democratic......... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are the polls open for the whole day or just "business hours"? Because if it's just business hours, then a lot of 9-5 people will get screwed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Anyway it was Pat O'Connor Pat O'Connor

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    Are the polls open for the whole day or just "business hours"? Because if it's just business hours, then a lot of 9-5 people will get screwed as well.

Stark,

AFAIK polls are open until about 9pm I think.

Advertisement