Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to use my two votes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Stark wrote:
    Are the polls open for the whole day or just "business hours"? Because if it's just business hours, then a lot of 9-5 people will get screwed as well.
    My polling station in Dublin 15 is open from 7:30am until 10:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's cool. I don't have to take time off work so.

Abject apologies to any election agent of CJ's called John O'Connor reading this, my mistake.

I wouldn't get too worried, it's an easy enough mistake. And I certainly wouldn't apologise to the Haughey mafia if I were you and simply mistook one Christian name for another! Those who remember those times knew who you were talking about anyway. I was just flagging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

brother got two polling cards....same constituency just different polling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Myself and the rest of the family used to get two polling cards each in my old consituency. One to our address, and one to our address but with a slight spelling error.

We used to also get two copies of every piece of junk mail, and one copy would have the address with the exact misspelling as on the electoral register. Needless to say, I made sure to opt out of the edited register this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

7.30am to 22.00pm for all,

vote people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I wouldn't get too worried, it's an easy enough mistake. And I certainly wouldn't apologise to the Haughey mafia if I were you and simply mistook one Christian name for another! Those who remember those times knew who you were talking about anyway. I was just flagging it.

fair enough Conor. But I wouldn't want to affect the forum or boards.ie. The craic is too good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

"That's cool. I don't have to take time off work so."

Of course your employers are legally obliged to allow you leave work to vote. Just something to think about if you fancy an hour off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Canaboid wrote:
    I got my polling card for my new address delivered. I also got a seperate one sent to my old (parents address), I'm guessing I could vote twice if I so wished.
    The Electoral Act 1992 says that it is illegal to vote twice.
    Personation.
    134.—(1) ( b ) A person who having obtained a ballot paper once at a Dáil election applies at the same election for a ballot paper in his own name (otherwise than under section 102), shall be guilty of the offence of personation.
    The penalties are up to £2500 and/or up to 2 years in prison. You can be charged up to 12 months after the offence. Section 102 is to allow for a second ballot paper when you accidentally spoil your first one.

The Irish Statute Book site is a great resource. It has all the Acts of the Oireachtas and Statutory Instruments from 1922 to 2005. And a good search facility.

Advertisement