Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbits & Cages

Options
  • 21-05-2007 7:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Im in the process of buying a rabbit from a large Pet Shop (just new) here in Waterford. There only shelters were large ones with its own play area, which is not my aim. We plan on buying a small rabbit hut (costs 70euro) and making its own run out the back. (Done this before!)

Its been a while since we done any of this, so I was wondering;
    Is 70euro to much for a rabbit cage?

The rabbit is 30euro.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

70 euro is quite resonable for a good quality cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No it's not enough money actually. 70Euro will just about buy a decent hamster cage. Hutches are only shelters a run is essential, I know you say you will be building a run but runs must be high not those low ones that are attached to hutches. You should be able to stand up straight in a rabbit run (unless you are really tall lol). It also depends on wether the rabbit is going to be a house bunny. A small run outside with a hutch as shelter is fine for a rabbit if they are outside only in good weather. However this is not enough for a rabbit to live in all the time.
    Rabbits require a small potting shed if being left outdoors and company of another rabbit because lets face it even us animal people who brave the elements day to day sometimes can only run in and out to feed and water and clean them when the weather is bad (which is often) so the rabbit will end up very lonley on wet and miserable days.

If making your own run make sure it's high and the hutch is ideally shiplap or thick timber and raised off the ground (a few concrete blocks works well). The hutch will need a solid door and to prevent too much wind blowing through it a partition door with a hole between the sleeping and eating areas.
    It will also have to be large enough to hold a litter box for 70.00 euro priced hutch they are usually pretty small but it depends where you buy them.

Also make sure you bury wire under the run and cover the top. Ideally build the run and place the hutch within the run itself. Too many horror stories of neighbours dogs turning over rabbit and guinea pig hutches. I find those blue tarp covers work well tied down over a hutch in wet or windy weather rain always ends up getting into hutches and a bunny in damp housing can lead to a sick snuffley bun.

So basically if the rabbit has a lot of freedom the hutch will be used by the rabbit to eat and sleep if you can get a good one for 70 euro the rabbit must be able to stand up on two hind legs without banging his head off the roof and be able to stretch out fully. Rabbits do curl up they like to stretch out to sleep just as much.

I know you said you have done this before so you prob know all this already but thought I would mention some things in case you hadn't thought of it.

Also think of adopting a rescue bun there are plenty around and bound to be more in the coming months. Two is better than one (as long as you know the sex of them and are prepared to neuter). The rabbit will have to be spayed /neutered anyway well at least spayed if she's a she as they have a high chance of contracting a reproductive cancer up to 85% chance.

A pet rabbit will need two lots of vaccinations esp. if outside. First one is Mixomatosis which has to be given and then 2 wks later a vax against VHD don't put the rabbit outdoors until both are completed and keep an eye out for bunny fleas in this warm weather parastites are rampant. You will have to be prepared to vaccinate the new rabbit and this will cost you probably more than what you pay for the rabbit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got the rabbit and a nice sized out door hutch. I handed responsability over to the girlfriend who has had many over the years, and treats them like kids! I just wanted to have a fair idea what needed to be done before I got the stuff.

Hutch is long in width. One small part has a small exit (locked for now) so the Rabbit can come and go as he pleases. It will be used when we build out the run from the area the hutch. We put saw-dust down first on the base, and then straw on top of it - changed regularly. A small dinner bowl with rabbit food obtained from a local pet shop, and the water tube for him to drink from.

The rabbit seems to love its grass, I take it this is normal?

She takes him out of the hutch a lot and lets him run around their sitting room, where he has his own track he made and runs around jumping over any obstacles in his way! Very friendly and cute rabbit, and gets on very well it seems with its owner. Its often cuddled up in her arms or it crawls up onto her shoulders! Nibbles away sometimes at her clothes tho or tries scratching it with her claws!

She was playing with it today and lied out on the floor so he could jump over her, and he was doing so but after a while she realised he had stopped, and was sitting on her back watching the TV with her!

Im delighted its gone to a great home, and they are planning on building (weathers been dodgy lately so its been hampered) a nice hut for him. It gets on well with her, and when she goes out to it he jumps up to greet her! Gets lots of attention from the family too!

As for a friend for it to be with, I wouldnt do it right away but it would be considered. We agreed one from a resuce home would be great, as they are in need of a good home. I take it these Rabbits are OK to handle, and are not troublesome?

Thanks for all your advise. :)

Advertisement