Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this it?

Options
  • 21-05-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Could someone here cast an expert eye over this site: http://www.maintsbb.com/
    I’m not exactly in the areas mentioned on the list, but I’m close enough.
    I’m waiting to hear back about the availability of the service in my area, but if it’s a thing I can get it, with a good signal, should I go ahead?

I would be using it for:
    Video uploads + downloads
    Watching streaming videos
    Online console + PC gaming as well as large game downloads (in the region of 700mb to 1GB)
    As well as all the other regular internet surfing

With the exception of the video uploads + downloads I would be doing all of the above on more or less a daily basis (the game downloads would be once a week)

So what do you think? Is this suitable? Or am I better off waiting for Digiweb and their 4G BB.
    Oh and how GBs is “fair”?

There is a possibility that the service could set up on a mast which I would have a clear view of, would I be better off waiting for that?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah the ever vague "No Cap (fair use policy)"

The 1Mbit upload is nice, and indeed, the 1Mbit download wouldn't be too bad either, depending on the number of subscribers downloading simultaneously.

I presume DSL isn't an option for you. Digiweb's 4G could be a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 s_wrenn

Unless they upgrade the exchange to reach further distances I won’t be able to get DSL.
    I basically need the wireless alternative to DSL (or better)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I wonder to they use Satellite to feed their base station?

Any place in that area that have LOS to Woodcock Hill might get Broadband eventually. But install cost might be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

There be no satellite around here ;)

Fibre backhaul is being used directly off the MAN.

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

watty wrote:

Nobody in the Midwest region providing Wireless broadband uses Satellite for backhaul, they all use fibre from the MAN and ESB
    Any place in that area that have LOS to Woodcock Hill might get Broadband eventually. But install cost might be high.

Newsflash Watty, they have it already, and no, install costs are not high.

Best of luck Paul.

jbkenn

• Advertisement

Thanks Paul, I’m going to give you a ring tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TomGunn

There is a new node being set up in Fedamore village at the moment so hold off until we find out who is setting up. Competition never hurt.;)

Back again ........... The new node is IRISH BROADBAND and they will be set up in a week or so. Any more info and I will pass it on. http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php

Paul came round and did a test for me last week. Trees were the problem. So I don’t think Irish broadband will make a difference.
    I would recommend maints for anyone who can get it. Paul was very helpful and really knew what he was talking about.

Advertisement