Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New exhaust - where to go& advice?

Options
  • 21-05-2007 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

The whole exhaust talk is all new to me so I'm learning but I'm looking for something that will give a nice gurgle to finish off the car without being confused for a boy racer. I don't mind about getting performance gains once I can get that nice italian sound and a nicer looking exhaust. So what do I need to go for? I drive a 1.4 stilo sport. The exhaust looks like a limp dick at the moment altho its not as bad as some.

Do I just get a backbox? Will it need modification? Where should I go to. I live in Glasnevin so near would be even better. I was looking at the ragazzon exhaust.

Basically I want to get that alfa sound and not let the whole street I'm coming from a mile away.

I'm 21 and on prov. licence for now(hopefully not long) and with Quinn Direct. How much will this affect my insurance? What do I tell them I have ie. uprated sports exhaust?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Ring derek from preformance zone.He does exhausts and is really good
    http://www.performancezone.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Cool thanks. Any idea how much it affects insurance then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

just get a back box yeh, it depends on what one you go for what sound you get, is it more important it looks nice or it sounds good? i have a big exhaust on a fiesta once but it tapered into the exhaust, it gave a really nice sound and nothing that'd scare the bejesus out of people.

i doubt quinn direct will care too much about a back box there is little or no power gain at all.

as for places to look i'm not sure about your area but i used to just go into tyre/exhaust workshops and ask about performance type exhausts

Also does anyone know where would be able to supply or stock a ragazzon exhaust as thats the one I'm looking for.

draffodx wrote:
    just get a back box yeh, it depends on what one you go for what sound you get, is it more important it looks nice or it sounds good? i have a big exhaust on a fiesta once but it tapered into the exhaust, it gave a really nice sound and nothing that'd scare the bejesus out of people.

i doubt quinn direct will care too much about a back box there is little or no power gain at all.

as for places to look i'm not sure about your area but i used to just go into tyre/exhaust workshops and ask about performance type exhausts

Its more for the sound I guess. It'll just be an oval tailpipe. If you type in ragazzon into youtube you'll hear what I mean. Over on a stilo dedicated forum they've recommended the ragazzon for this type of sound but it would obviously be more readily available in England as to over here. If I ordered it in from where ever(?) would someone like kwikfit fit it then? Will it pass mot or will emissions be higher?

• Advertisement

su_dios wrote:
    Also does anyone know where would be able to supply or stock a ragazzon exhaust as thats the one I'm looking for.

Ring them and they should know.Is it available on the net.If it is then buy it and get it fitted here

Dont think they sell directly so I wold have to buy from england if I can find one that ships.

if its just a back box i dont think it should effect emmisions, any exhaust centre will fit it for you no problem, i'd say ordering it in from the net would be the best bet if you can?

Ok think I've sourced one off the net. How much would I be looking at for fitting the backbox?

su_dios wrote:
    Ok think I've sourced one off the net. How much would I be looking at for fitting the backbox?
    I would think around 100 euro.Can you post up a link as i would like to have a look at it.

• Advertisement

OK thinking this one or the double pipe one but trying to find the oval version.

So basically sounds like this.
    But looks like this one (its a 2.5 and filter so bit different sound on this)

su_dios wrote:
    OK thinking this one or the double pipe one but trying to find the oval version.

So basically sounds like this.
    But looks like this one (its a 2.5 and filter so bit different sound on this)
    Thanks i will check it out.

looks nice, the sound will be different from different cars anyway, about €80 - €100 is about the price you'd expect to pay o get it fitted alright

Just to find the right one now then. Thanks for the help so far. Fitting sounds reasonable enough. So the likes of kwikfit are ok for this?

never used them myself, i used a local exhaust centre myself and they fitted it no problem, i assume kwik fit will do it too

I wouldnt worry about fitting.Just make sure you get the right exhaust and all its parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

fitting is simple, just fitted a new back box to my civic on saturday, will take you 30-40 min with the odd break or bout 10min if youve done it before.doesnt take alot of mechanical knowledge, it was so easy im going to fit a full catback this weekend. mostly its just a matter of 2-3 bolts and 2 rubber gromits (and depending, maybe a new gasket) piece of piss the money i saved goes right into my new car hehe

i think the best way to do it is yourself you really get to now your car, and sure if your not sure if you done it right have it looked at. Go on get some wrench time :D sure isnt that what its all about

projectgtr wrote:
    fitting is simple, just fitted a new back box to my civic on saturday, will take you 30-40 min with the odd break or bout 10min if youve done it before.doesnt take alot of mechanical knowledge, it was so easy im going to fit a full catback this weekend. mostly its just a matter of 2-3 bolts and 2 rubber gromits (and depending, maybe a new gasket) piece of piss the money i saved goes right into my new car hehe

i think the best way to do it is yourself you really get to now your car, and sure if your not sure if you done it right have it looked at. Go on get some wrench time :D sure isnt that what its all about

Its easy to say if you know what you are doing other wise i would get someone professional to do it :)

Only problem is that they don't list the 1.4 but every other spec is listed as the same system. So I don't know now if the 1.4 is different or not. May end up getting a custom exhaust. Will they be able to give me the sound I want and who would be best at this?

su_dios wrote:
    Only problem is that they don't list the 1.4 but every other spec is listed as the same system. So I don't know now if the 1.4 is different or not. May end up getting a custom exhaust. Will they be able to give me the sound I want and who would be best at this?

Why dont you email the guys you want to buy from and ask them about the exhaust and will it fit the 1.4 car.It should fit

• Advertisement

Just waiting for a reply at the moment. Don't know where I would be without boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

drdre wrote:
    Its easy to say if you know what you are doing other wise i would get someone professional to do it :)

dont want to sound smart Drdre i see how helpfull you are round here, when it comes to modding i would consider myself a noob, i didnt know what i was doing until saturday morning when i popped my head under my car and went "your ****tin me, 2 bolts!!" its that easy.and those peeps (using the nice word) in fitfast(not real name :) ) want 100 euros :mad:

i really think we should try and get as much wrench time on "our" cars as possible, i know there is alot we should leave to the pro`s`but i think this is one instance where any one with a spanner set and a jack could do it, just my 2cents

sorry for the kinda thread jack guys

I'd agree with you but sometimes bit of prefessional help won't hurt either(apart from wallet).

Turns out the 1.4's exhaust manifold is on the opposite side to the 1.6 so I don't know what I can do now? Could I get a custom one built to same spec here in Dublin? Will I be able to get the same sound?

su_dios wrote:
    Turns out the 1.4's exhaust manifold is on the opposite side to the 1.6 so I don't know what I can do now? Could I get a custom one built to same spec here in Dublin? Will I be able to get the same sound?

I heard a guy in my school got a custom one built somewhere in the country.He could choose the sound, even could choose different sounds for different gears :eek: .
    I dont know where he got it from.I think Mullingar.

That sounds pretty good. There must be somewhere like that in Dublin if not a few places?

su_dios wrote:
    That sounds pretty good. There must be somewhere like that in Dublin if not a few places?

Did you ring those guys in blackrock.they will help you find the right exhaust.

Oh just got good news, got a reply

Good morning,
    yes you can install with a reducer the articles we list for the 1.6.
    Unfortunatelly we have any sales point in Dublin, therefore please
    contact us through your tuning store or contact:
    Gazzel Racing - Telephone +44 (0) 1138 150 185 - Wakefield.
    Thanks
    Silvana

drdre wrote:
    Did you ring those guys in blackrock.they will help you find the right exhaust.

Nope in the middle of exams until Friday so I'll be ringing at the weekend.

• Advertisement

su_dios wrote:
    Nope in the middle of exams until Friday so I'll be ringing at the weekend.

Yeap thats your best bet.The are agents for afew exhaust companies like miltek i think

Advertisement