Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem/Router Trouble

Options
  • 21-05-2007 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi there, im not really sure how to explain this but here goes.. i have my playstation 3 connected to my modem through a wireless connection for playing games online, i've had no trouble so far but a game i bought just recently is unique in the connection settings it requires.. so ive had to change settings on both my playstation and my modem/router.. there is two ways of solving this but im having trouble with both, i'll explain as best i can.. The first is something got to do with 'uPnP'. I have this enabled on both my playstation and on my modem/router but when i try a connection test on my playstation it is still listed as 'not available'. The second problem is regarding a 'DMZ' function that is apparently supposed to be in my router settings but i cant seem to find it.. here's the link below if anyone cares to take a look at what i've been trying to do, id be gratefull for any help at all. than you.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=callofduty3&thread.id=4884

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

OK, what router do you have? Someone should be able to help you put the PS3 into DMZ.

Have you already forwarded the correct port on your modem & router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

The router is a Netopia.. Model No. 2247NWG-VGx

Its just the standard eircom wireless modem. I have had the ps3 and modem hooked up and working online the past few weeks without any problems, but as you might have read in the link i posted its just this one game that needs a differant set up, sorry i cant explain things better, im just grabbing at straws here.. this stuff is new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

OK, first things first is port forwarding:
    Forward port 3074 TCP and UDP. Take a look at the walkthrough here as to how to do that.

Give the modem 10 minutes after you reboot it before you test it, port forwarding can be messy, espically on cheap routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hi there, im not really sure how to explain this but here goes.. i have my playstation 3 connected to my modem through a wireless connection for playing games online, i've had no trouble so far but a game i bought just recently is unique in the connection settings it requires.. so ive had to change settings on both my playstation and my modem/router.. there is two ways of solving this but im having trouble with both, i'll explain as best i can.. The first is something got to do with 'uPnP'. I have this enabled on both my playstation and on my modem/router but when i try a connection test on my playstation it is still listed as 'not available'. The second problem is regarding a 'DMZ' function that is apparently supposed to be in my router settings but i cant seem to find it.. here's the link below if anyone cares to take a look at what i've been trying to do, id be gratefull for any help at all. than you.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=callofduty3&thread.id=4884

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Netopia routers refer to 'DMZ' as 'Pinholes'? is there anything in the router settings for Pinholing?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

snappieT wrote:
    Forward port 3074 TCP and UDP. Take a look at the walkthrough here as to how to do that.

Give the modem 10 minutes after you reboot it before you test it, port forwarding can be messy, espically on cheap routers.

to select both tcp and udp i have to create a duplicate configuration.. not sure what that means or how to do it.

• Advertisement

snappieT wrote:

to select both tcp and udp i have to make a duplicate configuration.. how do i do that?

to select both tcp and udp i have to make a duplicate configuration.. how do i do that?

Some routers have the option in the drop down list to choose both UDP & TCP when you are port forwarding and some don't.

If your router only has the options individually in the drop down menu? then YES! you will have to make the entry twice.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

sorry for posting the same question twice :-) i thought the first didnt post.. anyway i think i have the port forwarding finished.. i have two configurations, the first with tcp and the second with udp and i have them both enabled.. what next?

sorry for posting the same question twice :-) i thought the first didnt post.. anyway i think i have the port forwarding finished.. i have two configurations, the first with tcp and the second with udp and i have them both enabled.. what next?

Reboot the modem & test if you can connect!

yeah i can connect alright, but the problem is still the same with the game im trying to get online with..

• Advertisement

yeah i can connect alright, but the problem is still the same with the game im trying to get online with..

Have you successfully enabled the uPnP or DMZ as suggested in the guide?

As it stated, the port forwarding options only fixed it for certain routers & networks.

what guide? I have enabled unpn on my pse any router but still no luck.. cant find anything about dmz in the router settings

what guide? I have enabled unpn on my pse any router but still no luck.. cant find anything about dmz in the router settings

Section 2 & 3 of the guide you linked to in your first post............

I wonder if Netopia refer to DMZ as PASSTHROUGH ???

I'm not familiar with Netopia but it might be worth checking these out?
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_022.html

And this
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/2247w.html

Advertisement