Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi opening in Collooney???

Options
  • 21-05-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I've heard quite a few people saying that Aldi is opening up in the Collooney business park, I just wondered if anyone knows for sure or is it just rumours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Havn't heard this one before. They were originally supposed to go on the N16 near abbott pharma. Then Carraroe.

Collooney would be perfect. There is a new Business Park there called Tubberbride and there is tonnes of room for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It would be great if it opened there. Theres a few places empty in the business park behind McDonaghs, one looks supermarket like, so I wondered if it was going there.
    As I say though it might just be rumours, haven't seen any ads for staff or anything.
    They got turned down in Carraroe.

magnumlady wrote:
    They got turned down in Carraroe.

That's right!:rolleyes:
    Along with Argos, Tesco, Shane Filan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I hear the locals are up in arms after a few birds started nesting in the trees!! :D

I hear the locals are up in arms after a few birds started nesting in the trees!! :D

The Cheek!:eek:
    Maybe this should be merged with "Sligo News and Views"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Keep on topic here please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Sligo is supposed to be a Gateway city, and it is where the population is. Witthin a half mile of so of Sligo, convenient to the inner relief road, would be the ideal location. Sligo should expand from the inside out. Aldi should put their money on a site there and build, they would make a fortune.

That area around collooney is really taking off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote:
    That area around collooney is really taking off!
    Is there really a market for a business park so far outside Sligo? It seems a shame as Collooney used to be the gateway as far as the western rail corridor was concerned. Just seems to be turning into a giant roundabout and conurbation of Sligo.

tuppence wrote:
    Is there really a market for a business park so far outside Sligo? It seems a shame as Collooney used to be the gateway as far as the western rail corridor was concerned. Just seems to be turning into a giant roundabout and conurbation of Sligo.

I think there is a market there yes.
    The main village of collooney is not too badly affected yet although there are a lot of apartments and houses going up!

Ocean FM has been a huge boost for the area also from what I can see.
    Most of the buildings off that roundabout are occupied yet there is only one tenant in Cleveragh Retail park in Sligo Town/City.
    That says something too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think there would be a market for it in Collooney. there are so many houses there now, and with all the new houses in Coolaney and Ballinacarrow as well. I think they would get loads of business. It would be great to have Aldi there (and Tesco, Argos, Heatons:D etc).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote:
    I think there is a market there yes.
    The main village of collooney is not too badly affected yet although there are a lot of apartments and houses going up!

Ocean FM has been a huge boost for the area also from what I can see.
    Most of the buildings off that roundabout are occupied yet there is only one tenant in Cleveragh Retail park in Sligo Town/City.
    That says something too!

I think you are right that there seems to be a problem in relation to the willingness of certain factions to move on letting some of these shops in to Sligo town. But is that a case for moving the city/town sprawl into a small town like Collooney? Prefer to see the likes of Aldi and those in areas of higher density and areas where people on low incomes can access. (non car owners) It isnt all about choice although having it is nice but to what cost? (excuse the pun!) Re The houses going up. They arent necessairily an indicator of population more of tax incentives. In Leitrim re the time of the census they had fierce problems trying to find people in!

tuppence wrote:
    Prefer to see the likes of Aldi and those in areas of higher density and areas where people on low incomes can access. (non car owners) It isnt all about choice although having it is nice but to what cost? (excuse the pun!)

Excellent point! Lidl has been of a huge benifit to the ppl of Sligo, especially the low income families.

Protectionism is rife in Sligo and there will always be an element of it but the tide is slowly turning and these ppl who are trying to stop "progress" will eventually get left behind!

Advertisement