Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I set a static IP address?

Options
  • 21-05-2007 8:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on NTL board band with a Linksys WRK54G wireless router.

For one application I need port forwarding, but its best to have a static IP address.

My router address is 192.168.1.1
    At the moment my ip address is 192.168.1.109 - I have set my port forwarding in the linksys using this IP Address but I know if I disconnect etc it will probably change.

How do I get it so that my computer always uses 192.168.1.109?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Start>Control Panel>Network Connections

Find the connection you're using (probably Local Area Connection)

Right click on it and click properties, find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", click once on that (don't untick it) and then click Properties.

Put 192.168.1.109 in as your IP address, 255.255.255.0 as your Subnet Mask and 192.168.1.1 as your Default Gateway.

You'll also need to put in your DNS details.

NTL are (from a quick google)

Primary DNS

Secondry DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Here's a good guide if you have trouble:
    http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Usually on a home network you don't change ip addresses much, unless you have lots of computers connecting/disconnecting to the network.

I'd advise you to get the port forwarding set up properly first, then worry about the static ip

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow that was quick, thanks a mil Steve.

Done that, do I have to refresh my connection or anything?
    If I reset my router, this will no matter no?
    (Apart form if I might need to put in the port forwarding again)

On another question. Is it worth updating firmware on my linksys router? Sometimes its a bit temperamental...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Yes! Look at DD-WRT. It's a third party (amazing) firmware for the WRT54G series routers.

Advertisement