Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

panaroma programme health implications on WIFI

• 21-05-2007 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

High radiation levels picked up to 4 times stronger than radiation from mobile phone masts serious health implications yet no protests from anybody here

swedish goverment gives grants to people to paint rooms with anti radiation paint

white smoke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

not again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Only saw some of the programme, but there is wireless available in my office, and the radiation levels were measured there last week, and showed as zero.
    tbh wouldn't worry that much :rolleyes:

The 'radiation' emitted by wi-fi is Non-ionising radiation and completly harmless at the power levels used in these devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Did not see it but is radiation the right word? I mean its not radiation in the classic geiger counter nuclear style is it? How would you measure it? Surely if its only radio waves then its not much more than a TV or radio?

Radiation sounds dramatic, but it is technically the correct word, but remember the light is also radiation, so is any radio or tv signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I saw the programme too, is there really nothing to worry about? How do you go about measuring it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Findhan

Hi, I dont get this crap! Maybe Im wrong and we'll all end up with ten heads in the near future but virtually everything emits radiation. As your man above already said, its non-ionising. I did a quick search of the wavelengths of Wi-fi and it appears to be at 2.4GHz which I do believe is nowhere near ionising! So, perhaps its just a load of nonsense. We live with risks every day and I dont see this as a major one in any shape or form!

Findhan wrote:
    Hi, I dont get this crap! Maybe Im wrong and we'll all end up with ten heads in the near future but virtually everything emits radiation. As your man above already said, its non-ionising. I did a quick search of the wavelengths of Wi-fi and it appears to be at 2.4GHz which I do believe is nowhere near ionising! So, perhaps its just a load of nonsense. We live with risks every day and I dont see this as a major one in any shape or form!
    exactly, and we are talking about miliwatts of power here, absolutly tiny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Isn't wifi running on the same range as microwave ovens, and I think they would do bad stuff to you if you put your head inside one, but people are still fine with having them in their homes clearly pumping out more "bad" radio waves than their laptops are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

-80 dbm .... 0.00000001 miliwatts = lower receive threshold of most wireless cards

A common one i know puts out ~50miliwatts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Didn't see the programme, but, there is unlikely to be a risk from the power levels of wifi for most people.

However, the Stewart report says -

"There is now scientific evidence, however, which suggests that there may
    be biological effects occurring at exposures below these guidelines"

(the "thermal threshold" guidelines which apply in the UK & Ireland)

Stewart report overview

So, judging by the level of disagreement between researchers, it seems quite likely that there may be biological effects of non-ionising radiation at levels below the current guidelines.

It also seems very likely that the industry is aware of this, but will not admit it due to the risks being inflated by the media and public (which doesn't exactly help the industry so much in the long-term, but whatever...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

it's all a shower of 'do gooder' reasearch boffins trying to make a name for themselves.

People go out in the sun, sit in front of TV sets, talk on mobile phones, use microwave ovens and god knows what else...it all boils down to RADIATION, so why narrow it down to WIFI or GSM and make them out to be the baddies!

Making mountains out of molehills is the way I see it

humaxf1 wrote:
    it's all a shower of 'do gooder' reasearch boffins trying to make a name for themselves.
    I think that's too narrow a view of it. If it was only a few lunatics then it could be easily dismissed. But don't you think that they were aware of that when researching the previously quoted report?
    humaxf1 wrote:
    People go out in the sun, sit in front of TV sets, talk on mobile phones, use microwave ovens and god knows what else...it all boils down to RADIATION, so why narrow it down to WIFI or GSM and make them out to be the baddies!
    Well there's a very easy answer to that - personal liberty ...

You can choose whether to go out on a beach and get sunburnt, but you usually don't have any say in whether a given radio tower is put up near your house.

And it's clear that you can't lump all radiation sources together, they are quite different and will have different (or no) effects depending on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

humaxf1 wrote:

In order of magnitude from exposure to constant Radiation.
    Put head nest to microwave ! heated head and most definetly head tumour with all those leaks!
    Put Head in front of sun. Sun burn and skin cancer!
    Head next to GSM Phone for long periods: Red and sore ear with all that listening to complaining and moaning!
    Put head in front of TV sore eyes from bright lights from TV and possibly if you are lucky a tan.
    WIFI - Sore fingers from constant surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Wifi killed Mo Mowlam

Russia, Switzerland, China and Italy (amongst others) all have more restrictive non-ionising radiation limits than the UK, Ireland, USA etc.

"It should be stressed, that in contrast to the ICNIRP
    (International Commission for Non-Ionizing Radiation
    Protection) safety standards [13], which are based on the acute
    thermal effects of microwaves, the standards adopted by the Russian
    National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection
    (RNCNIRP) are based on the experimental data from chronic
    (up to 4 month) exposures of animals to microwaves at various
    physical parameters including intensity, frequency and
    modulation, which were performed in the former Soviet
    Union and Russia [10-12]."
    link

Clearly, a consensus is lacking, and it's only right that people ask questions in such a situation, and it goes without saying, but, especially so when there is big money at stake (globally, there are 2.5 billion mobile phone users).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Caution is always good thing but people considering the issues raised by Panorama need to take a look at the background of their so-called "expert" (electrosmog campaigner selling shielding paint/netting/hats from his website), the reservations expressed about the design of his tests and conclusions drawn from them, and Panorama's hunt for sensationalism: http://www.badscience.net/?p=418

I didn't see the programme but I expect they carefully avoided looking at the field strengths and exposure levels to the BBC's own multi-megawatts of RF continuously pumped out on TV/LW/MW/SW/FM/Freeview/DAB aimed directly at the population.

For those that missed the Slashdot thread: BBC Kicked out of School Over Wi-Fi Scaremongering
    "Ben Goldacre reports that the BBC Panorama team, while scaremongering over the dangers of Wi-fi, were told to leave the school because even the kids could see it was dumb: 'When the children saw Alasdair's Powerwatch website, and the excellent picture of the insulating mesh beekeeper hat that he sells (£27) to protect your head from excess microwave exposure, they were astonished and outraged. Panorama were calmly expelled from the school.' Should we be pleased that the kids can out-think TV producers?"

Snowbat wrote:
    I didn't see the programme but I expect they carefully avoided looking at the field strengths and exposure levels to the BBC's own multi-megawatts of RF continuously pumped out on TV/LW/MW/SW/FM/Freeview/DAB aimed directly at the population.

And you'll be happy to know, even in their latest report on non-ionising radiation, ComReg don't appear to look at frequencies above 3ghz.

2007 Programme of Measurement of Non-Ionising Radiation Emissions

Annex 2 - Methodology - "An initial survey of the area was conducted to determine the location(s) of
    highest non-ionising radiation emissions. This was done by using a
    broadband probe attached to a field strength meter to identify the position
    of maximum field strength. The probe used for this initial investigation
    measured and summed the contributions of all signals in the frequency
    range 100 kHz to 3 GHz.
    "

Yet there are many commercial services operating on frequencies above this.

Why are these not being measured? Especially since some of these services claim to be non-line of sight, and at these higher frequencies will need more power to provide NLOS coverage, compared to your GSM at 900Mhz?

I would like to see a programme about that.

edit: In relation to Comreg, this is not quite correct, some mixed use sites are measured in less detail over 3Ghz, but the focus remains on GSM/3G services.

Advertisement