Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is clear pine?

Options
  • 21-05-2007 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Are clear pine doors (no knots) just ordinary pine doors laminated or are they solid timber pine doors?

For instance, is it possible to plain clear pine doors when hanging them like with solid pine doors knotty?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

there are 2 types of pine:
    white deal (very little knots but very soft!)
    red deal (better than white deal, more knots, stronger!)

maybe thats what "clear pine" is? if they are laminated doors they won't be able to be planed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conleth

White pine generally has no knots (or shouldn't have) and is solid so can be planed. It is also referred to as pitch pine or yellow pine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

Maybe the clear pine doors you mention are like the Knot free doors from
    B & G Applications range?
    They are an engineered door......ie base wood with a finish veneer.
    I think they are called Portland but not (knot!) sure.
    If you have an engineered door they cannot be planed....if you have a solid door with knots then any amount of planing will not remove the knots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

Thanks all,

the doors we looked at were in the Door Depot and there is no knots at all on them, which is why I like them. The guy there said they were solid veenered doors which is a contrdiction as far as I can reckon? Either a door is solid pine (red deal) and has knots or it is cheap pine laminated with clear pine.

Like this:

http://www.bghome.ie/app_productdetail.shtml?bid=522&scid=1466&pid=8168

Weird, but having looked at them closely, they look perfect and as solid as your standard red deal knoptty pine door. Confused:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conleth

Either a door is solid pine (red deal) and has knots or it is cheap pine laminated with clear pine.

There is a further option of a clear pine door which is solid and can be planed. I have put these doors in before and have both planed and sawn them so can confirm that they are solid. Not sure if this is the door that you're talking about though.

Advertisement