Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology 2007 Exam

Options
  • 21-05-2007 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

does anyone have any idea, or has anyone been givin some topics that are expected in the biology exam.....

here is what my teacher thinks....

1. short answer

. food
    . digestion
    . cell division
    . enzymes
    . plants general

2. experiments

. investigate catalyse factors
    . light intesnsity on photosynthesis (deffinate)...
    . iaa growth regulator
    . germination factors
    . starch agar digestive activity

. ecology
    . genetics
    . human/plant reproduction
    . respiration..with some photosynthesis/energy carriers...
    . selection questions!
    .bacteria
    .hormones
    .human defence/viruses(hence water here in galway)..
    .fungi
    .propogation

has anyone anything else to add, that there teacher could have said? this selection is for the honours course only!.......

help with some topics? 12 votes

biology predictions
    0%
    exam 2007 biology help
    100%
    [Deleted User]FairyNehpetsyurmothrintitesLucas10101ghost-snoteoinerStereophonicmaggie18xSplinkkwhatshername!!NotExactly 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoiner

exam 2007 biology help
    top topics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

With regards to the experiments my predictions are:
    Photosynthesis exp.
    To show digestive activity in seeds/ conditions for germination
    Heat or Temperature experiments with Enzymes

As for Section C, Ecology and Genetics are definites. I'd say Respiration will be up this year too. After that - defence system and viruses/ reproduction/ breathing/ the senses/ endocrine system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

The IAA came up last year, did it not? Or did I just dream that?? Long questions on enzymes, genetics and viruses would be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

exam 2007 biology help
    ya IAA exeriment came up last year. Enzyme exeriments are expected this year!

exam 2007 biology help
    enzymes experimemnts are a big probalility.... as for a long answer on enzymes alone, the chances are slim. it will probably appear along with some other topic, but more than litely not on its own......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

exam 2007 biology help
    Tomorrow and the next day I am going to complete your list (OP). That'll give me something to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well genetics, reproduction, plant stuff, ecology, photosynthesis and/or respiration come up every year so..

Enzyme experiments would be nice..I hate that pondweed one...>_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

When exactly did the water get f'd up in galway? I can't actually remember. eoiner you doin it in galway as am I? what school are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

exam 2007 biology help
    I would say their will be definitely:

(i) Enzymes and possibly a graph on it.
    (ii) Human Defence System
    (iii) Diversity of Organisms like Bacteria etc.
    (iv) Reproduction( Human and Plant ).

There will defo be a long question on Genetics and Ecology but I'm leaving them out for study, instead I'm covering genetics experiments and DNA section in case section A or exp for Sec. b comes up.

Hoping for Respiration/Photosynthesis, Reproduction the most.

exam 2007 biology help
    Gangsta wrote:
    When exactly did the water get f'd up in galway? I can't actually remember. eoiner you doin it in galway as am I? what school are you in?

doin it in st endas, salthill......

• Advertisement

exam 2007 biology help
    did anyone else listen to the biology "getting it right" podcasts....
    try it, just copy it to browser and download

there is other ones too, just search - getting it right - in google.

http://pc.rte.ie/2007/pc/pod-v-290307-24m40s-gettingitright.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

eoiner wrote:
    doin it in st endas, salthill......

Jaysus, what a coincidence. I got this video sent to me by one of my friends just tonight on bebo of a teacher getting jocked by some guy(what a brave guy) and I found out that it was St Enda's in Galway. Is that the same St Enda's which the video is from? Im really shocked though that school was mentioned on boards when just five mintes ago I was looking at a video. Freaky.

If I was to give any advice to anyone doing Biology this year, there is no doubt that Ecology is a defo for a section A type question or section C type question. My teacher said it was unlikely that it will come up as an experiment.

exam 2007 biology help
    JSK 252 wrote:
    Jaysus, what a coincidence. I got this video sent to me by one of my friends just tonight on bebo of a teacher getting jocked by some guy(what a brave guy) and I found out that it was St Enda's in Galway. Is that the same St Enda's which the video is from? Im really shocked though that school was mentioned on boards when just five mintes ago I was looking at a video. Freaky.

If I was to give any advice to anyone doing Biology this year, there is no doubt that Ecology is a defo for a section A type question or section C type question. My teacher said it was unlikely that it will come up as an experiment.

yeh i saw that video many times and it is said to look like mr kavanagh, however i can assure you that it isnt

exam 2007 biology help
    eoiner wrote:
    did anyone else listen to the biology "getting it right" podcasts....
    try it, just copy it to browser and download

there is other ones too, just search - getting it right - in google.

http://pc.rte.ie/2007/pc/pod-v-290307-24m40s-gettingitright.mp3

soo i want to know what people think.... advice, predictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anto mc

I would say that Human Breathing and excretion might be coming up in section C Q 13 or 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Genius16

Well, Boner....i mean eoiner,
    I would pay close attention to the sections on exrection and human/plant reproduction,bacteria,fungi...ts of plant etc:
    as these tend to occupy q's 14 and 15 in recent years and if you know the topics well you will get full marks...where as even if you study repiration you still may sruggle to achieve full marks as the questions tend to be more difficult as students expect this.

exam 2007 biology help
    Genius16 wrote:
    Well, Boner....i mean eoiner,
    I would pay close attention to the sections on exrection and human/plant reproduction,bacteria,fungi...ts of plant etc:
    as these tend to occupy q's 14 and 15 in recent years and if you know the topics well you will get full marks...where as even if you study repiration you still may sruggle to achieve full marks as the questions tend to be more difficult as students expect this.

! let me guess, do i know you !.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 parky1303

Has anybody else realised that almost EVERY topic on the biology course has been mentioned on this!

And IAA did not come up lastyear, it was just mentioned as part of a question...it is due

exam 2007 biology help
    parky1303 wrote:
    Has anybody else realised that almost EVERY topic on the biology course has been mentioned on this!

And IAA did not come up lastyear, it was just mentioned as part of a question...it is due

still is worth concentrating on some sections rather than others. it is a very big course...

exam 2007 biology help
    What about blood, it hasn't come up before (correct me if I am wrong). Might see something on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Nehpets wrote:
    What about blood, it hasn't come up before (correct me if I am wrong). Might see something on that

It came up as a 9 marker in Section C last year afaik. Tbh I can't see it coming up this year and if it does there won't be much on it - its a relatively short section to begin with

exam 2007 biology help
    Yeah 2 short questions on RBCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I dont think osmosis has ever appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'm punting a full Human Reproduction Question and a Question on the Heart. Along with Respiration and Genetics. And of course the study of an ecosystem = 4 Questions at least , Enjoy

Photosynthesis mini question
    Endocrine mini question

exam 2007 biology help
    there is only for full long answer questions, nd i hope to god its not on the heart. respiration is the big one and yeh i agree, reprodution as a full answer would be good.....

what were peoples mock papers like, they can sometimes give ideas....
    i know mine had
    1. ecology
    2. human reproduction
    3. photosynthesis/respiration
    4. genetics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Tbh with the way the paper is since they brought in the new syllabus a few years back, its very dangerous to go making predictions.

Basically the only likelihoods are

In section b the exps will come from different areas of the course, its likely that one will be an ecology one. Most of the exps are simple enough, just read over them all + make sure you know the reasons you do each step (like for that DNA one, why do you only use the blender for 3 secs, etc etc).

In section C there'll be an ecology Q, a genetics Q, either photosynthesis or respiration will be at least half a question, as will reproduction.

Oh + make sure you do all of section A, doing all 6b doesn't take much longer than 5, + when I did it I made a hames of one of the parts + doing all 6 got me my A1, which I desperately needed!

exam 2007 biology help
    wouldnt it be great if the person who wrote the paper was reading these....
    by the way thanks to "dajaffa", are you doin the leaving cert again..... or are you just generous enough to come back and share your wisdom with us?

are people gonna reply after the exam.... I WANNA KNOW HOW PEOPLE DID..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

eoiner wrote:
    wouldnt it be great if the person who wrote the paper was reading these....
    by the way thanks to "dajaffa", are you doin the leaving cert again..... or are you just generous enough to come back and share your wisdom with us?

I'm in college doing physio, took me 2 goes to get into it so I might as well put all that experience to good use!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ok one question here, looking over my papers there i realised that ecology has come up as a long question every year? We likely to get it this year again?

Also what are the odds of there being a long question on photosynthesis?

I know these two topics backwards but not much else atm, shoulda really put in more work during the year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

the guy on 606 said that there's a 98% probability of getting plant reproduction as a long question. LEARN IT!!!!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement