Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with eircom broadband

Options
  • 21-05-2007 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, i have a weird problem. i recently got a linksys wag300n adsl modem and router etc. the reason i got this was the netopia one was getting slower and slower conenction speeds. the linksys one works at about 4 times the speed of the netopia one. The problem is at about 9:30 pm to about 1 am the modem will not sync. during the day fine, great speeds / latency but once it hits 9:30 modem will lose sync. it will sync again but once it tries to conenct to eircom broadband loses sync. And its not to do with net limitation or restrictions / QoS etc as they are all turned off.

I have tried with only the modem on the line. ie connected straight to the phone input and still happens. Anyone have any idea? connected to maynooth exchange if it makes any difference. Also if i go back to the netopia modem it will sync and connect no problem ah terable speeds. connected on netopia now at 416/256 kbps on a 2048/256 line.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

It's possible there's contention in your exchange. Its usually most noticable at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

thing is its half nine everynight not 9 some nights and 10 others etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried doing a total reset of the linksys? (i.e. the little hole at the back job) Just wondering if there is an accidental setting in there somewhere that is set to prohibit net access during those hours?

Does the netopia sync at normal speeds during the day? What line stats does the netopia show during the bad patch at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

yea tried many resets during the time it wont sync. The netopia used to conenct at anywhere from 680-768 or there abouts but about a month ago i could only get 512 then last 2 weeks or so been getting 256-488 down. the linksys syncs anywhere up to 15/1600 ish area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DVDMAN

Please Can anybody interpret the info from my modem/router
    Just I had the adsl light drop a few times. I live about 5/6km from the excahnge with a 2mb connection. How is the Attenuation looking?:confused:

ADSL Status Information

Up Stream 256 (Kbps.) Down Stream 2048 (Kbps.)

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
    12 dB 8 dB
    Attenuation 63 dB 63 dB

Defect Indication
    Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator

Fast Path 77 0
    FEC Correction

Interleaved Path 0 0
    FEC Correction

Fast Path 2 1814
    CRC Error

Interleaved 0 0
    Path CRC Error

Loss of 0 ...........
    Signal Defect

Fast Path HEC Error 68 0

Interleaved 0 0
    Path HEC Error

Received Cells 266643
    Transmitted Cells 138775

• Advertisement

Your attenuation is pretty dire sadly:(

Have a read of this for confirmation:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Aaahhh nice one dub45, Ive been trying to find that damn page for ages :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have a feeling that these modems can't report attenuation greater than 63dB. That's the worst attenuation that ever seems to be quoted. I think I remember something from memory about this behaviour too.

The time issue could be some sort of electric timer or other regular interference which adds that bit of extra noise. It would make all the difference on an already weak line, which it is if downstream is only 400 odd kbps. Try unplugging all phone equipment and especially filters (and even any dodgy-looking secondary sockets) and see if that makes a difference. The sockets connected can make a huge difference to dialup speed, let alone the more sensitive broadband.

Seeing as you've tried the bulk of what I suggested, you probably will have to go for an engineer visit off eircom.

Advertisement