Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tupolev TU-114

Options
  • 21-05-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever had the chance to fly in a Tupolev Tu-114. I wouldn't imagine many people on here would have seeing as it was retired from service in Russia in the seventies but had it's heyday when flying Khrushchev to New York and when it did scheduled services from Moscow to Havana.

I downloaded Samdim Design's Tupolev Tu-114 for FS2004 a long time ago and have flown it around a bit and it is class! Nothing like doing it for real but one cannot do so now!

This plane has the world's most powerful turboprops on it and it was also the world's largest plane at the time and was so high off the ground that special staircases had to be built to accommodate it.

Some nice pictures here.

There is some information on it here from Wikipedia - click

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

it's a fine looking bird, clearly the east's answer to a connie

i've been in a tu-134 twice, and i don't have any wish to repeat the experience. imagine being in the dodgiest dc-9 you can imagine, on a windy day. then loosen all the rivets, and it's kinda like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

That is certainly some bird. I don't remember seeing them in LHR back in the late 70's even , by then the IL62 had taken over.

deaddonkey, I have never flown on a Soviet aircraft and never wanted to , they have a horrible habit of falling out of the sky.

Were these never spotted in Shannon , didn't the Cuba flights used to stop there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Old Soviet aircraft , I have read, were very storng birds but some, such as some Tupolev's got the reputation of a "dodgy plane" cos of bad runways in the USSR.

A lot of the older planes such as the IL-62 are still in service today. There was a bad streak with accidents in the 90's when parts were scarce and safety standards low in Russia but with the country becomeing a lot more prosperous now, this has stopped.

Advertisement