Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsoc, A lot done more to do.

Options
  • 21-05-2007 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

OK so as I said here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53287980&posted=1#post53287980

The people in Netsoc want to know what the general population of UCD want from us, so if you're hard-core and want really cool unix based apps or plain old unix introduction courses we want to know.

If you haven't got a clue what we're about and want some simple questions answered, this is the place to ask them.

So..er..shoot.

fake edit: We are also looking to host LAN parties and gaming sessions etc. so if anyone is interested and wants to suggest games or platforms please go ahead.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Are you guys going to fix your infrastructure for once and for all. When I was in earlier undergrad years, the awesome setup you people had actually worked - failover, redundant, etc. all worked? It seems to be a bit ropey this year to say the least.

Your webspace is great, but another idea might be to have an online blog system like Wordpress-MU for those who don't fancy installing wordpress themselves.

I think an expansion of your sysadmin course might be good - i think one which is aimed at people who have dabbled a bit in linux from things like knoppix but want more. Possibly one which would give people enough to confidently set up a little Linux or BSD server; including things like samba etc.

Also a UNIX meetup might be a great idea - for instance I got LDAP and Samba working at home, first thing i'd have said to anyone after this is that Smbpasswd and /etc/password are really less work for anyone with a tiny setup like me. However another thing I tried, PXE booting for installing windows was a great idea - both of these topics are poorly documented on the whole. So word of mouth is often great to do this!

Possibly talk people through a distro like gentoo, or have some interesting talks like on things like the UNIX/Linux family tree (BSD vs System V etc) and maybe on weird and wonderful OS's like BeOS, OS/2 Warp or QNX.

Also an advocacy role might be a good idea. There are oodles of free-software opportunities outside of the main Linux mainstays of maths, CS and to a lesser extent engineering which are not being utilised. Allowing people to boot an 'unsupported' linux OS on the lab PC's or in a VM would be great, or getting NX into NAL for the promised netsoc desktops.

I hope some of these suggestions are useful or doable - it's not meant as a rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Maybe set up an evening talk to introduce using Linux as a primary OS. You might attract people interested in the free OS idea, you could provide some copies of Ubuntu maybe (free from Shipit) or you could get some burned. Even have some nights over the year where you have an installing session, and newbies could be talked through the installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Re-introducing the trainee program would be a good idea methinks.

Also I hate to whine but the server situation seems to have been a bit of a mess this year. I'm not particularly technically knowledgeable in this whole area but there was a lot of downtime, and Orca hasn't been able to run irssi for me since probably February or March.

Maybe you could think about running some tutorials or talks? I was in TCD's Netsoc for a year and they had a few such events iirc.

The LANs are a good idea alright. Any games'd do me really, but I've got a hankering for some multiplayer Civ recently... dunno how others'd feel about that :p

Also maybe think about getting back involved with Intersocs and doing more things involving the other Dublin Netsocs.

Also a week's notice for the AGM next year would be appreciated, I was hoping to somehow get involved in the soc this time 'round but there was only 1 day's notice given about this year's meeting on the site and no e-mail or anything so I missed it :/

That's all I can think of for now... maybe I'll add more later...

In any case its good to see ye looking from input from your members :)

Oh... also... I'm not sure if this'd have much appeal to people in UCD but iirc Redbrick run a MUD, which'd be nice for killing time :p

Retro LAN event for people with Amiga 1200's, Apple Mac Plusses and similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Red Alert wrote:
    Retro LAN event for people with Amiga 1200's, Apple Mac Plusses and similar?

Probably that bit too nice an event for obvious reasons. Maybe a retro gaming competition would be better. A LAN of some description would be cool - every student at this stage has a reasonable laptop, all you'd need to provide would be switches and routers and such - maybe a dedicated UT server on some old heap of junk or something. There's some great freeware out there, like Castle Wolfenstein which is a fantastic FPS up there with Quake 3 etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Woof!

First off thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Myself, the HSA and a few others have finished our exams today so after a hard-night's drinking tonight and wrapping up our projects for the year we're gonna get to work. I would also like to say, that like most students we all have Summer jobs so things will progressively get done so if you don't see results straight away don't lose faith.

If anyone has anymore suggestions feel free to email me genuineleather(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks a lot for your time and input!
    Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I can't get into my netsoc webmail or access the pop servers (I can go into more detail if you like) for the last three months. I can only get my mail through SSH and it's a bit annoying, I've also emailed the address available on the site a number of times about this and never once got a response.

Having said all that I agree with the other posters about linux advocacy. Why, I went to a couple of friends' apartment a couple of weeks ago and they were all using ubuntu with no encouragement whatsoever! I'd love to talk to and meet other linux users in UCD but all the events seem to be BSD/solaris related...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Woof! wrote:
    fake edit: We are also looking to host LAN parties and gaming sessions etc. so if anyone is interested and wants to suggest games or platforms please go ahead.

We could probably do that one together to boost the numbers.

(I'm the new auditor of Gamesoc btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Connecting to intersocs, Netsoc isn't doing that yet is it?

If you're having problems getting lans going, get in contact with the Minds guys in NUIM, they/we do lans all the time, about 15 people turn up for a weekend of serious gaming. Mainly CS 1.6, BF1942, Dawn of War, maybe Total War on a slow day. There could be some sort of competition, or occasional merger between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

NotWormBoy wrote:
    Minds guys in NUIM, they/we do lans all the time,

Have you a contact for someone in there?
    I can't get into my netsoc webmail or access the pop servers
    Webmail should nearly be backup. Not sure about POPthree. Will look into it.
    We could probably do that one together to boost the numbers.

(I'm the new auditor of Gamesoc btw)
    You should get in contact with Rashid about that, he's semi active in both Netsoc and Gamesoc. You may know him. If not PM me and I'll pass it on.

As for the rest of you, bear with me, I'm still reading down through all the posts!

Respect,
    eoin
    esmurph [at] netsoc (dot com of course :P)

[EDIT]
    Webmails not quite there yet.... IMAP seems a little off :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

As a matter of interest, any idea why I can no longer run irssi?

Not a huge deal but it'd be handy to have back again :)

[EDIT]
    Webmails not quite there yet.... IMAP seems a little off :P

Aye, indeed. I'm sure I can copy my mailbox file from my home directory and import it into gmail somehow but I'll wait for ye :)

I have to say the SSH was the most useful feature of netsoc for me (as well as the webspace). I know it doesn't have mass appeal exactly but it was the one way I had of doing my SSHing to my own sites etc. from within UCD. I imagine gaming will be the thing to get people interested though, definitely. On projectors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

This might be a bit cheeky and/or completely the wrong place to ask this but: would somebody mind lending me their netsoc login for the weekend? I was a member myself last year (all I remember is the username 'gav', I think my number was 402 so if someone could rescue that for me instead...?) but obviously not this year because I'm away, but if I get a login I can fool rte.ie that I'm Irish, and 'twould be great for me to be able to watch Meath v Dublin at the weekend being off in Germany and all.
    [/sob story]

Netsoc's proxy doesn't work off campus AFAIK

Red Alert wrote:
    Netsoc's proxy doesn't work off campus AFAIK
    :( Is this so? Can anyone confirm?

It doesn't work for me off campus; also, I don't think it requires authentication anyway.

Right, will give it a go when I'm home anyway. Would that be sure of giving me an Irish IP though, or at least fooling RTE into thinking I'm there? I've tried navigating in through the UCD proxy previously but had no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

Hey all,

Just a general update post thingy...

Not sure about the current state of the proxy and using it from outside the college. Will look into it.

WTP - web based ftp is back up. Silly silly php. Its set up over ssl so its super secure. Well as secure as web based ftp can be :-P

Webmail is almost up.

IMAP is working.
    I'm using Thunderbird as a test client and I can read my mails with the following settings:

Server: imap.netsoc.ucd.ie
    Port: 1143
    Tls: Enabled

@generalmiaow: Still have to check about pop3. Haven't been speaking to the lad who's sorting it out. As I said above, IMAP works so you can use Thunderbird or the likes to check you netsoc mail.

@imp: Will look into irssi

I'm sure a lot more than this has been happening but this is all I can think of at half 2 in the morning.

Regards,
    eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 43 peaderfi

Fix the trouble ticket system, its a mess, i've emailed help@netsoc.ucd.ie and have gotten emails saying that my ticket number is xxx and it will be dealt with shortly...and it never was...i never got anything else back from the ticket system

Where has the flash shell in the ssh disappeared to? with all its nice esay access to everything for the non linux users...

and finally can you please get ssh, scp, sftp and ftp to netsoc accounts working over the general ucd wireless network because its just a pain in the bum having to go and try find a free physical port to do anything at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

what does net soc do?
    Do they have a website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The site is http://netsoc.ucd.ie/

Webmail's not functioning for me, giving me an incorrect user/password error (have tested password with ftp and ssh). I haven't tried IMAP (I haven't got seven years to download all my emails :)) though POP3 is what I'm really waiting for, so I can get all my emails directly into my gmail account, and gmail can't import IMAP as it is. I'm sure there's other ways but I know I'll screw it up somehow. Plus I don't trust IMAP for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hey, need to get in touch with the Auditor. Pretty snapilly actually. Anyone know who Im looking for (name)

Advertisement