Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Joyce musical

Options
  • 21-05-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere that there's going to be a musical about James Joyce's life or something along that lines! I read that it'll be in the West End but it'll premiere in Dublin for one night only in June sometime. Does anybody know the exact date and where/when I can get info/tickets?

Please please reply if you have any details! Thanks!

Ps sorry if it's the wrong forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yup it's gonna be on in the Joyce Centre on Georges Street, no idea about dates or anything though :) It was in Saturday's Irish times magazine though so if you have a copy of that around your house you should fine it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Thanks I don't have that paper unfortunately. I read it in Herald AM a while ago and I never kept it...

The website doesn't have any info on it..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

presume they'd be trying to have it on bloomsday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

here's the details

HIMSELF AND NORA

FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY, audiences in Dublin will have a sneak peak at a new musical headed for London’s famous West End and Broadway! On Bloomsday evening, 16th June 2007, at 8.pm at the James Joyce Centre, author Sheila Walsh and composer/lyricist, Jonathan Brielle will present highlights of their new musical, Himself and Nora. Both Walsh and Brielle are determined to bring the real-life story of Nora Barnacle and James Joyce’s love, laughter and song to Dublin before their next full-scale production. In bringing Himself and Nora to the world stage the message is to feel Joyce’s words and how Nora, a young chambermaid from Galway, inspired him as his portable Ireland throughout all their tumultuous travels.

In 2005 Himself and Nora premiered at the Old Globe Theatre in California to rave reviews. Joel Hirschhorn of Daily Variety-- the American bible of show business --said, “James Joyce is a great character… a hell raising, hard drinking, sexually uninhibited wild man. What’s more… Nora is strong and exciting enough to justify Joyce’s lifelong passion. Between the two of them sparks fly. There’s enough meaty material here for a Great White Way hit.”

Cynthia Citron of KABC radio says, “In a dazzling new musical, Himself & Nora, playwright Sheila Walsh and composer Jonathan Brielle stunningly embrace and people the continent of Europe as their peripatetic hero and his mistress-muse move from one country to another… In addition to Sheila Walsh’s intelligent script, James and Nora’s story is played out in a full compliment of brilliant songs provided by Jonathan Brielle. Melodious love songs destined to become popular hits as well as hilarious patter songs accompanied by sparkling high-spirited dances... Some 14 previous premiers at the Old Globe have moved from San Diego to Broadway. This one is a sure fire 15th. And the one that will probably still be playing when the 16th, 17th, and 18th production find their way to Broadway as well.”

An evening of highlights from this exciting new musical is sure to enthral and entertain. Don’t miss out on this chance to see Himself and Nora!

Date: 16th June 2007
    Time: 8.00pm
    Venue: James Joyce Centre, 35 North Great George’s Street
    Tickets: €15 / €12 conc.
    Advanced booking advised

Advertisement