Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEC SATA Burners.

Options
  • 21-05-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting two of these SATA drives
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331635&view=links

and this Mainboard
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329286

I read somewhere but can't remember where I saw it, that SATA burners have to be compatible with the Mainboard they are used on? & that you have to set something in the Bios before they will work.

Does anyone know anything about this?

How can I find out if these NEC SATA drives are compatible with the board I hope to get?

:confused:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

As long as the board has a sata port a sata optical drive will work with it. In the bios i dont see why you have to do anything. As the bios will detect it automaticially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The SATA compatibility problem you refer to no longer applies. Back in the day when the very first generation SATA controllers appeared there was no proper support for ATAPI optical drives in the specification eventually after a revision support was added in hence compatibility lists popped up on the very first gen SATA DVD drives keep in mind this was a few years ago.

However that problem went away as the SATA spec went though several more revisions and all modern SATA controllers properly support SATA DVDRW drives so you wont have any problem with the NEC SATA drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks for the Info Anti & 8T8, that's good to hear, it could well have been an ancient post I read somewhere.

Cheers! :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement