Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 USB data plans 10GB vs 3000?

• 21-05-2007 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Could some please explain what is available on the 3 Data 3000 plan vs the 10GB plan

I'm considering the USB modem and dumping mobile broadband unlimited on the handset.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The 10GB plan will not roam onto Vodafone's network, whereas the 3000 plan will. Also, it is not possible to make calls or send SMS messages on the 10GB plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

And what are the limits?

Is 10GB a data transfer limit or a download limit?

And what exactly are the limits on the 3000 plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Whatever you do on it -web, eMail, VoiP and so on will incur data transfer and this will use up the cap available. 1mb over the 3GB cap and you will pay 49c. 1mb over the 10GB cap and you will pay 5c.

The 10GB SIM cannot roam on anything other than 3's sister networks.

Both are transfer limits, e.g. includes downloading and uploading!

But I am extremely concerened about something I'm reading in the new T&Cs which is completely contrary to what I had been told. It is this sentence (with regard to the 10GB tariff):

"Service available only on 3's HSDPA network In Ireland ".

• Advertisement

Probably just means that in Ireland, it will only work on 3's HSDPA network. Won't roam onto Vodafone. At least that is what I have been told.

Well, I will be getting this clarified in the morning: no good to me if it doesn't work in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

culabula wrote:
    Well, I will be getting this clarified in the morning: no good to me if it doesn't work in Belfast.
    i don't think it will. i was fairly sure that this modem didn't roam at all. i could be wrong about that but i won't bother calling customer care to ask. they'll assure me that it works in the UK because they think i live there

and as regards "HSPDA only", it wouldn't surprise me in the least. people would live with degraded quality but the idea that 3 would bring in an all or nothing policy seems about right

i don't think it will. i was fairly sure that this modem didn't roam at all. i could be wrong about that but i won't bother calling customer care to ask. they'll assure me that it works in the UK because they think i live there

and as regards "HSPDA only", it wouldn't surprise me in the least. people would live with degraded quality but the idea that 3 would bring in an all or nothing policy seems about right

It's supposed to -the original information that I posted was that it would roam only on 3 in all their territories -I still have that info here (including Israel (sic) -they meant Indonesia). They repeated that to all the many, many customers snapping up the modem tonight in 3's store on Grafton Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ye i heard it would work on 3 networks abroad the same as the phone add on (another pointless restriction). If theres a 3 network in the north it might work

• Advertisement

It seems it's just 3's way of putting things -I think Urban is correct. I've just reread all that they have to say about it.

They are definitely saying that it will roam in all 3's foreign operations. But I'll ring the shop in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

HSPDA only?

So it can't be used recieving a normal 3G signal?

HSPDA only?

So it can't be used recieving a normal 3G signal?

3's network in Ireland is HSDPA only at this point. It could receive a standard 3G signal if one were available.

3 have confirmed to me that the device will roam as stated on the sister networks abroad without charge. The wording on the site remains both specific and confusing.

"Voice and text services unavailable on Mobile Broadband 10Gb tariff. Service available only on 3's HSDPA network In Ireland (85% population coverage)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I think its changed? Now says
    Voice and text services unavailable on Mobile Broadband 10Gb tariff. Service available on 3's HSDPA network in Ireland (85% population coverage) and on 3 networks abroad (HSDPA) only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

This 10GB service is cracking value, is it not?

I think its changed? Now says

Well spotted! Boy, am I good at giving out. I think I'll start a business complaining for people.

Blaster99 wrote:
    This 10GB service is cracking value, is it not?

Fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

I currently have ADSL with UTV Internet, and pay 16 odd euro for a 1 MB, 6GB sh**ty-VPN-dropping service.

Why would I not use this 19.99 service from 3? I don't use the laptop other than in the house - are there disadvantages I'm missing? What is the actual speed like - is it good with Skype?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

just make sure you have coverage. seems like people who have used it and are in areas of coverage like it, others want more bandwith.. no surprise there.. :rolleyes:

also, not hijacking, but thanks cula for the APN info for the Mac in the other thread.. i was bewildered as to why it didnt work!!

• Advertisement

I currently have ADSL with UTV Internet, and pay 16 odd euro for a 1 MB, 6GB sh**ty-VPN-dropping service.

Why would I not use this 19.99 service from 3? I don't use the laptop other than in the house - are there disadvantages I'm missing? What is the actual speed like - is it good with Skype?

No reason: I have often used Skype on it as well as videoconferencing with iChat.

You will save a lot if you also cancel your landline. If there is any disadvantage, it would be the higher latency (about 100ms versus 50ms with DSL). That is only going to be a problem if you are a gamer, though, and only with some games like Quake.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Any idea on what kind of coverage this service has nationwide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

So in effect if you have 3G coverage in your area then you should see the benefit of the device? If you don't have 3G coverage is there much point in going for it? And 85% of the population is of no use to me if 85% of the population is not living in rural areas :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is there a contract term for using this?

Will I be able to use my laptop as I usually would when it's connected to broadband? Using VOIP and everything like that?

Does this:
    ** Voice and text services unavailable on Mobile Broadband 10Gb tariff. Service available on 3's HSDPA network in Ireland (85% population coverage) and on 3 networks abroad (HSDPA) only.

just mean that you can't use the sim card to put in your phone to make calls and texts or does it mean you can't use VOIP on your laptop using the modem:confused:

cormie wrote:
    Is there a contract term for using this?

Will I be able to use my laptop as I usually would when it's connected to broadband? Using VOIP and everything like that?

Does this:

just mean that you can't use the sim card to put in your phone to make calls and texts or does it mean you can't use VOIP on your laptop using the modem:confused:

It just means the former; you may VoiP away to your heart's content (up to 10GB a month).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sounds good:)

Is there actually a sim card in the little modem you get then?

Is there a min contract term does anyone know and do you just pay by Direct Debit or something yeah?

Any special offers where you can pick up a free modem I wonder?:D

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    Sounds good:)

Is there actually a sim card in the little modem you get then?

Is there a min contract term does anyone know and do you just pay by Direct Debit or something yeah?

Any special offers where you can pick up a free modem I wonder?:D

a) Mais oui
    b) 12 months
    c) Yeah
    d) You're kidding, right?

Advertisement