Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 USB data plans 10GB vs 3000?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the info. 12 months is a bit much. Might wait a bit and see what the competitors have to offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

cormie wrote:
    Thanks for the info. 12 months is a bit much. Might wait a bit and see what the competitors have to offer!

It's always going to be be a minimum one-year contract -they have to subsidise the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It is going to be hard to beat 3 on price, though it should be possible to beat them on service. The only cheaper offer I have seen was in Italy, where it is €19.00 a month and you get the modem for free, however that is with a 24 month contract.

culabula wrote:
    It's always going to be be a minimum one-year contract -they have to subsidise the modem.

But if we have to pay €129 for the modem, what's there to subsidise? Unless I'm missing something and we don't actually have to pay for the modem and just have to pay the €20 per month?

cormie wrote:
    But if we have to pay €129 for the modem, what's there to subsidise? Unless I'm missing something and we don't actually have to pay for the modem and just have to pay the €20 per month?

The modem costs 3 more than that -that IS the subsidised price. In Italy and Austria where the populations are much greater than that of Ireland 3 can afford to be seen to be generous and charge 3€ for the modem -in exchange for a 24 month contract.

Fact is, we're getting 10GB for 20€ to use in Ireland and in 8 other countries. It's a very good deal.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:

This is what the modem would cost if it was not subsidised: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=141528

And to me, the main attraction of the service is not its speed, but the fact that it is portable. It is great to be able to do things on your laptop while not at home. You could even work from a park bench or a coffee place. I remember the day when I used to pay hundreds of euros a month for a handful of megabytes of GPRS traffic (!!!).

£229:eek:

Ok, I'll shut up now, maybe 12 months isn't so bad.

This would be a very handy service for me so I might go for it. I see below it says you can use it in any country that has the 3 network. You say you can use it in 8 countries. Do only 8 countries have the 3 network so far? What happens when you're not in a 3 network zone, will it just not work or is there a way to connect by paying a payg charge or anything?

And to me, the main attraction of the service is not its speed, but the fact that it is portable. It is great to be able to do things on your laptop while not at home. You could even work from a park bench or a coffee place. I remember the day when I used to pay hundreds of euros a month for a handful of megabytes of GPRS traffic (!!!).

Agree totally; I remember looking in vain for cybercaffs in foreign cities all over the place -those days are gone. Another small benefit is that I no longer spend 15€ and over per train trip on magazines, periodicals and newspapers twice a week. The internet keeps me amused and I can read most of those online instead.

cormie wrote:
    £229:eek:

Ok, I'll shut up now, maybe 12 months isn't so bad.

This would be a very handy service for me so I might go for it. I see below it says you can use it in any country that has the 3 network. You say you can use it in 8 countries. Do only 8 countries have the 3 network so far? What happens when you're not in a 3 network zone, will it just not work or is there a way to connect by paying a payg charge or anything?

9 countries now have 3, 8 others beside Ireland. The deal with the new tariff is that it only works in those countries, nowhere else. If you want voice, text and (some) roaming, then you have to get the 3GB @ 40€ a month.

Is there a list of the 9 countries anywhere do you know? I presume Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland are 4 of the 9 anyway, then I heard Italy mentioned above too and I think I remember hearing the Netherlands had it too?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    Is there a list of the 9 countries anywhere do you know? I presume Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland are 4 of the 9 anyway, then I heard Italy mentioned above too and I think I remember hearing the Netherlands had it too?

Erm, on the 3 site?

Wales, England and Scotland are not 'part of the 9' as those countries form part of the United Kingdom and together are a unit known as Great Britain.

the Netherlands are not a 3 territory. Have a look at three.com

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

This is what the modem would cost if it was not subsidised: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=141528

Is this the actual modem that 3 supply?

caster wrote:
    Is this the actual modem that 3 supply?

Yes.

Does anyone know how well this would work on the move, as in, if I had a laptop on the passenger seat of a van while going 100kmph, would it keep disconnecting? Could I rely on it to have an important call over VOIP while driving along I wonder.

Also, what are the consequences of terminating the contract prior to the twelfth month I wonder.

I ask too many questions:D

cormie wrote:
    Does anyone know how well this would work on the move, as in, if I had a laptop on the passenger seat of a van while going 100kmph, would it keep disconnecting? Could I rely on it to have an important call over VOIP while driving along I wonder.

Also, what are the consequences of terminating the contract prior to the twelfth month I wonder.

I ask too many questions:D

I use it all the time on an express train; there are disconnections -around 5 per 160km trip.

The consequences would probably be having to pay the remainder of your contract off.

I wouldn't rely on Voip for any important call even under optimum conditions.

Cool, thanks for the info. Would they be 20 second disconnects or would it take about 5 mins each time to get back online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 odie007

Hi All have been using my 3g 10gb broad band and its pretty cool doesnt seem to be too many snags.. Blueface wont work on it but thats not really suprising, Skype does but uploads are slow getting 56k.. Brings me back to the old days..

cormie wrote:
    Cool, thanks for the info. Would they be 20 second disconnects or would it take about 5 mins each time to get back online?

Getting back online is going to depends on where you are; it could be a matter of seconds to reconnect or you could be hurtling through Dunleer and wait 5 minutes for a fresh signal.

odie007 wrote:
    Hi All have been using my 3g 10gb broad band and its pretty cool doesnt seem to be too many snags.. Blueface wont work on it but thats not really suprising, Skype does but uploads are slow getting 56k.. Brings me back to the old days..

I think 3 may be shaping the upload speed, at least at the moment, since I am also only getting 56k. In contrast, with Vodafone, I get 384k. Talking about the upload speed here of course, not the download speed, which is significantly faster in both cases, though 3 has the clear edge there. ;)

Advertisement