Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My shep.

Options
  • 22-05-2007 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Glad to report that her pnemunioa / lung infection is now cured and she is starting to enjoy life again and playing with the dobies who now love her but pretend they don't. :rolleyes:

Had her at the vet today to get her vacinated and microchipped - this had to wait until she was feeling better.

I noticed in the last week a redish rash on her abdomen and she is itching a lot. The vet injected her for mange.

Can someone tell me how I would know if the dog has mange. I am not sure the vet knew exactly what it was as he was in a rush with a packed surgery. Her coat is healthy and shiney (no hair loss) and even all the scars she had on her face have healed up and she has gained weight nicely.

All the rash is confined to her abdomen. I am just wondering could it be a reaction to the straw bed she sleeps on. Also is there any danger this rash could be passed onto the dobies?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

All the rash is confined to her abdomen. I am just wondering could it be a reaction to the straw bed she sleeps on. Also is there any danger this rash could be passed onto the dobies?:eek:

I'm not sure what the early stages of mange look like. I dont know what your vet injected her with either. My lurcher had bad mange and he was treated with advantage, and got a steroid injection so he could cope with the awful itching as the mites die. If your dobies have been treated with one of the spot-ons recently they should be ok... It might be a plan to treat them again. Dogs tend to catch it when their immune system is compromised, so it is contagious, but not highly so.

BTW, are you going to keep her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

fits wrote:
    BTW, are you going to keep her?

Yes - I had wanted a third dog for some time but had been thinking of a beagle. This dog kinda chose me so that was that problem solved. :)

Advertisement