Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Religion Kill Science

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Hopefully someday a big blow will come to all the creationists and bull****ters. Preferably in the shape of homocide. Then we'll have no problems with people objecting to science because it may shed some light on their lives.

The voice of enlightened tolerance has spoken.

Hopefully someday a big blow will come to all the creationists and bull****ters. Preferably in the shape of homocide.
    Yes, that'll help them to see reason :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote:
    Given the christianity's history of disposing of its ideological opponents, you're skating on thin ice with this comment :)

robindch wrote:
    Given the christianity's history of disposing of its ideological opponents, you're skating on thin ice with this comment :)

Ah yes, I forgot, because people who claimed to be Christians did terrible things centuries ago then it would be very hypocritical of me to mildly rebuke someone for wishing others to be murdered. Will I still be allowed to vote? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

PDN wrote:
    Ah yes, I forgot, because people who claimed to be Christians did terrible things centuries ago then it would be very hypocritical of me to mildly rebuke someone for wishing others to be murdered. Will I still be allowed to vote? ;)

Now you're catching on.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote:

The voice of wit and light-hearted humour has spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

PDN wrote:
    I guess they probably thought they were demon possessed which, while an appalling mis-diagnosis, would at least have had the slightly redeeming feature of not treating the sufferer as if they were themselves morally at fault.

But, I thought that most christian teaching was about people having free will. Would they not have been considered sinners, before science discovered that the utterances were involuntary?

karen3212 wrote:
    But, I thought that most christian teaching was about people having free will. Would they not have been considered sinners, before science discovered that the utterances were involuntary?

I don't think anyone believes in absolute free will. For example, someone who is a slave is forced to do things against their free will.

The idea behind demon possession is that someone is taken over by an evil spirit & forced to do things & say things against their will. Therefore no moral responsibilty would be seen as to fall on the person who was possessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

PDN wrote:
    Sorry for taking so long to answer. I've had a few other irons in the fire and haven't had time to deal with posts like this that require a bit of a longer response (smart aleck one-liners are much less time consuming).

I lecture in ethics at third level, but that involves more asking provocative questions than telling people what to believe. (I did try asking such a question once on this board but won't do it again since I got a heap of abuse from one particular intellectually-challenged individual).
    A pity. It would be nice to try and pull the level of debate up rather than let the brain-dead drag it down.
    none of us are up to his level he's made that clear since day one.

PDN wrote:
    Sorry for taking so long to answer. I've had a few other irons in the fire and haven't had time to deal with posts like this that require a bit of a longer response (smart aleck one-liners are much less time consuming).

I lecture in ethics at third level, but that involves more asking provocative questions than telling people what to believe. (I did try asking such a question once on this board but won't do it again since I got a heap of abuse from one particular intellectually-challenged individual).

Well I personally would like to engage in actual debate with you and will try not to make abrasive comments like I have already (and I'm sure we'd all benefit from that.)
    I don't actually believe that Christianity creates homophobia, but some Christians do indeed reflect homophobic attitudes that are cultural rather than religious. I've never met anyone who was tolerant and accepting of gays before conversion and then became homophobic as a result of converting to Christianity. Homophobia is also rampant in non-Christian societies. Indeed, some of the most aggressive homophobia in the last century was in the officially atheist regimes of the Soviet Union and Communist China. The least religious country in Latin America (Cuba) is also the most homophobic.

I completely agree. I have a problem with homophobia in general, not just christian hatred of homosexuals, and that's why I find it ridiculous that some people dislike homosexuals/are homophobic/disapprove of homosexual behaviour because their religion disapproves/hates/is homophobic instead of actually thinking why/if homosexuality is wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement