Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back in Australia?

• 22-05-2007 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Working in Perth, WA, for the past three months or so on a Working Holiday Visa, and I've been paying nearly 30% tax on my earnings thus far. Now as far as I'm aware I am allowed to claim my superannuation back when I leave the country, but as it is approaching the end of the financial year I was wondering if anybody knows whether it is possible to claim back my taxes. As you can imagine, 30% of my income is quite a sizeable chunk and to get any proportion of that back would be brilliant.

Cheers for any help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I haven't quite researched this myself, but I must ask you, what's the weather like out in Western Australia? It's freezing in Sydney now these past few days - time to move up methinks. Is Perth worth checking out, before I leave this huge mass of land to tour SE Asia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

superannuation is definately due back to you when you leave only!! Tax can also be gotten back but took me three years as the ATO dont like us backpackers!! :)
    Enjoy WA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Chef1976

when my brother was over on his one year work visa he set himself up as a sole trader(can be done online in 5 mins) and got the same benefits as an australian. Also meant he didnt need to change employer every 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kinaldo wrote:
    I haven't quite researched this myself, but I must ask you, what's the weather like out in Western Australia? It's freezing in Sydney now these past few days - time to move up methinks. Is Perth worth checking out, before I leave this huge mass of land to tour SE Asia?

Pretty darn cold here recently too, and its been raining all weekend too. Perth is a fairly boring city, you can't even get tickets to the AFL games, the soccer season hasn't started and the Super 14 is over.

I'm counting down the days til I'm out of here to be honest.

Cheers for the replies lads, I won't count my chickens just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patch5

try www.taxback.com - they have a branch in Dublin,
    they charge a fee but only if you get tax back and I got about two thousand australian dollars in tax a few years back
    gud luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Howaya bud, cant give you any advice on tax, but its time to change the sig I'm afraid... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The best bet is to go to a backpacker job agency and ask them. Alternatively I have heard you can claim your tax back at the year end either through a taxback.com or someother compnay. I heard the best way is that some accountants do it cheap and quick. Could be the best bet.

Although I'm home four months and still haven't claimed mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

In Sydney, I went to a tax accountant, with my payslips etc, and got around £1500 back at the end of the tax year.
    They did everything for me for a small fee.
    There's loads of them dotted around the place afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

or ... do it online at the end of june and when it says "are you a aus res for tax purpurous" say yes - as since you worked in 1 city for 3months then you are classified this. I did this, had money in my account in 2 weeks

or you could ask your employer to treat you as one and you don't have to pay the 30%

and a a refernece to future oz workers - always tick the box that says
    "are you a Oz res for tax purposes" if you plan to work in one city for 3 months then you are.
    no-one will check this as it's self assessment.

don't bother with Taxback.com - such a rip off, you can use a tax account for a fraction of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OMG

Just back from my working holiday visa in Oz and I used Taxback.com they have an office in Sydney so if you are heading down there you can just call in and fill out a form but if not just go onto the website www.taxback.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement