Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding forums to existing site

Options
  • 22-05-2007 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been running a small site for a sub aqua club, and they've expressed an intrest for a forum to talk back...

I've no experience of implamenting this, and advice? is there much involved?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Install Simple Machines Forum. It is pretty simple to install. PM me if you want me to install it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

www.phpBB.com is also a good choice.

Easy to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Just a word of warning. phpBB have just released phpBB3 Release Candidate 1 which is a total rewrite of the forum software due to the bad record of security problems. It is expected that it will be fairly bug ridden for quite a while and the old phpBB2 is an easy target for spammers. I used to get one or two spam posts a day when I used it until I switched to SMF. Once phpBB3 gets to stable state i'm sure it will be good software to use but it still won't have the amount of features SMF has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I think phpBB is very good if you just keep it updated with the latest version. They even have a mailing list to keep you informed about new releases.

vBulletin is also very good, but not free like phpBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I should also have said speak to your webhost first, or look in your webhosting control panel.

Many webhosts will have scripts to install a forum for you in seconds. Check out what forums they have available, if any. No point in installing it all manually if a script can do it 10x faster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement