Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shawn Lane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Excellent Musician:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

I hear about this guy from a friend of mine all the time. One of the guys who used to work in Musician is sponsored by Vigier (the guitar brand Lane uses) and if you saw how damn easy that guitar is to play, you'd know why Lane is that fast :D

As regards his playing, some of the stuff he does in that video is so completely tasteless - it sounds awful, and goes completely against the feel of the song. Other times it sounds cool. Haven't exactly felt the urge to immerse myself in his work so I'm only judging on very few youtube clips at the moment!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Shawn Lane - one of the most boring guitarists to listen to imo. Yeah, he could play but he was just tasteless crap that he played. I've tried hard to like his music but I just can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

feylya wrote:
    Shawn Lane - one of the most boring guitarists to listen to imo. Yeah, he could play but he was just tasteless crap that he played. I've tried hard to like his music but I just can't.

Meh. I've only recently come across Lane so I can't comment much, but I have heard bits of his Abstract Logic album with Jonas Hellborg and it seemed pretty tasteful. That said, I don't particularly like this clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Parts were reminiscent of Return to Forever or Mahavishnu, but without the charm.
    He noodles way to much, and goes from noodle to noodle. If he'd just stuck with the McLaughlin impersonation, I'd have considered him brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

He's certainly no Steve Morse. But, my Lord, that is a mighty impressive beard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I don't like his stuff either. Him and Steve Vai...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That's god awful! I had to turn it off after the first 4 mins... How can anyone listen to someone aimlessly mashing a keyboard? And completely nonsensical guitar. It sounds like he is taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I think there's much better videos showcasing his talent out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

My borderline deaf dog upped and left the room. Speaks volumes really! :rolleyes: I'm all for talent and speed in places but that is awful imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

guys this is nowhere near why i consider lane one of my top. Listen to Epilogue of Grey flyin pianos. The man was unbelievable. One of the most tastleful players ever.

Advertisement