Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone help me put a simple search in my website?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a very very simple HTML and CSS based 8 page website. I would like to add a very simple search page which searches only my site. Does anyone know the easiest way of doing this as i am scared of active script or whatever that fancy stuff that does it is! the hosting plan i purchased can do all that stuff though- pearl/asp etc but i just know so little about it.
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

To return the best results your better off storing all your sites content in a database and then search the database for matching phrases.
    Why would you need a search on an 8 page site? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

sorry! 80.
    how do i store it in a database? i used access a bit in college and am familliar with tables and other database objects.
    then the search must be like a query is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

You could try TSEP (www.tsep.info) it indexes your website and puts all the information in a database.

Hosting companies that use Installatron, would have this script in their install tool, which takes a click of a button to install. It's a little harder to template it to fit your website, but it would be worth it in the end! :)

its all way over my head?
    is there nothing simpler - i have googled but keep on coming up with results that talk about running pearl scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Is the site indexed on Google yet?
    If it is, you could use their search tool - http://google.com/coop/cse/

Should be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

it's not a very simple thing...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

The scripts are probably the easiest option albeit maybe a little scary to start with. If you go to the bother of learning PERL or ASP then your skill set has increased and your site will benefit from what you have learned. If you want a hand writing the script PM me.

thankyou all for your quick replies - the google link is great , i also found http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/ which is good too though i think i need an asp course really to do the job properly!
    thanks again

Advertisement