Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on convertibles?

Options
  • 22-05-2007 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Im looking to get insured on a mazda mx 5 BUT I'm 22, female, full license for 1 year, 1 years no claims bonus......will anyone touch me??? The value of the car is only 4,000!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im sure someone will, have you tried? Female, full license and 1yr NCB... should be fine I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

netpost wrote:
    Im looking to get insured on a mazda mx 5 BUT I'm 22, female, full license for 1 year, 1 years no claims bonus......will anyone touch me??? The value of the car is only 4,000!!
    I got a quote for about €1800 on the FBD website on an MX5. That was on an MX5 valued at about €10k.

Male, 23, full license, 1 years no claims bonus.

You should be able to get a similar, probably better, quote yourself, given tha tyou are not much younger and obviously a safter driver then me.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Hibernian and FBD seem to be the only reasonable ones who will take you on as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

netpost wrote:
    Try every insurance company and broker. It'll take you about an hour on the phone, but you'll be sure of getting the best price. Also, start the conversation by telling them the car, your age and your NCB. That way you won't waste your time giving all your details to a company who won't quote for that car/someone your age/someone with only one years NCB. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

netpost - yes, you will. Question: are you currently insured, and with whom? If you have an existing car policy, you'll find it easier to get insurance than starting from scratch, as all you'll have to do is transfer your cover.

Have a look here at the '5 community in Ireland for all the info you'll need, incl links to people who'll help.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mx5ireland/
    http://www.mx5ireland.com/

Franksm on here is a member too, so he'll chime in any second.........

p.s., mine's a '90, btw......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

galwaytt wrote:
    netpost - yes, you will. Question: are you currently insured, and with whom? If you have an existing car policy, you'll find it easier to get insurance than starting from scratch, as all you'll have to do is transfer your cover.

Have a look here at the '5 community in Ireland for all the info you'll need, incl links to people who'll help.

I had previously been insured with my claptrap Astra with Quinn Direct and fancied changing to a Fiat Barchetta. I had seen a nice one at a nice price.

Quinn Direct told me that they don't insure convertibles, they don't insure left hand drive.

I gave up on the idea not long after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 netpost

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm currently with quinn direct as the only named driver but they have only started insuring convertibles and the condition is that you are over 30!definitely going to ring around after your comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

netpost wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm currently with quinn direct as the only named driver but they have only started insuring convertibles and the condition is that you are over 30!definitely going to ring around after your comments!

let us know how you get on, and dont take the first quote you find ;)

ring everyone, write all the quotes down, then ring back the top 5 (or so..?) and play them off eachother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 netpost

Well FBD told me they don't insure softops so i got onto Hibernian who gave me a quote of €906 Third party fire and theft and €1182 fully comp. This was based on me doing the hibernian safer driver or something course which last 1 day and costs €100! Pretty pleased with the quote to be honest! The loading was for having my license less than 5 years and nothing to do with age aparantly....which surprized me!! Going to see if i can find anyone else that will ensure me so i can compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Was in a similar position where I bought a second car ( a '93 MX 5 ) and had to insure it from scratch as I could'nt use any of my no claims bonus from my main car -

Get a competitive quote from brittioninsurance

http://www.brittoninsurance.com

Worth a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

netpost wrote:
    Well FBD told me they don't insure softops so i got onto Hibernian who gave me a quote of €906 Third party fire and theft and €1182 fully comp. This was based on me doing the hibernian safer driver or something course which last 1 day and costs €100! Pretty pleased with the quote to be honest! The loading was for having my license less than 5 years and nothing to do with age aparantly....which surprized me!! Going to see if i can find anyone else that will ensure me so i can compare.

Not sure about what FBD are telling you, my neighbour has a Saab 93 convertible and its insurered with FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

galwaytt wrote:

Whoops - I'm late heh heh - been in meetings all day, detracting from my boardsing.

Will PM the details of the insurance contact to "netpost" since there's a direct-line/email address involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Quinn direct will insure convertibles/cabriolets... and you dont have to be over 30!

I was buying a cabriolet and before i purchased the car, i rang my ins company... Quinn direct to find out how much extra...

They told me they wouldnt cover me (im 27 with 5 yrs ncb + full licence)... i pushed him on the phone and told him i had the car provisionally paid for and he put me on hold... two minutes later he came back and was delighted to inform me that "quinn direct have started insuring convertibles since the 1st May 2007"... and they would cover me... my ins went up only €65!

Try ringing them back and push them... they will give in and speak to their supervisor! (tell them your neighbour got cover with no problems!) ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

netpost wrote:
    will anyone touch me??? The value of the car is only 4,000!!

I may be wrong but I think AXA probably would quote you. (btw the value of the car is of little relevance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

WTF?? over 30 for convertibles - what difference does age make!!! I would have thought the only justifyable reason for convertibles being more expensive/unisurable is beacuse softtops are easier to damage & steal. Somehow a convertible needs a more responsible driver

Advertisement