Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dental Issues

• 22-05-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I have an appointment with a dentist on Thursday. However, over the past week I have been experiencing sinus like pain, periodically, usually in the evening for a spell. It centres around one side of my face - cheek, jawbone. I press on my lower teeth but they are not sore, and neither are my gums. I have one tooth, where part of a filling fell out some time ago, but it is not sore - just sometimes SLIGHTLY sensitive.

I will admit that over the past number of years, if I suffer from any type of stress, I don't get a headache, I get a pain in my gums!!!! which eventually disappears. This always happens when I am facing an anxious situation. It is like a nervous type of feeling and affects the muscles around my mouth/jaw and face. Funny that!!!! It goes away when I lie down and never disrupts my sleep. I just want to know is it a form of migrane/sinus/nervous ache. Should I discuss this with my dentist or should I go see a doctor? Has anybody experienced something similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Truther

Yes I've experienced something similiar a few times. Just last week I had a pain in my tooth and gum, I went to the dentist enquiring about it and I was just told that it could of been caused by blocked sinus or a headcold, which was true, and that usually affects your teeth. Yeah, whenever something big comes up it happens me too, like I've got a leaving cert coming up in a few weeks.

I also experienced another time more similiar to yours, I had a tooth with a filling, and a bit of it broke off, I was grand for about a year, maybe getting an odd day where it would be sensitive or something, but then it got infected and flared up. You should see a dentist, get him to take an x-ray to see if you've got a hole in the tooth.

If your jaw gets worse you may have a abscess, which you should get checked out as soon as possible because they can kill you or affect your speech. Just a bit of advice, if you have a spice called Whole Gloves put them on the tooth, they can help relieve the pain, keep in mind they're not a cure, just an anti biotic. Also if you do have an abcess and it gets really really bad don't wait for a dentist, get to A&E, they'll treat you immediately and you get better anti biotics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for that. No my jaw is not getting worse and I think I would know if I had an abscess - in fact, you would see a sore at the side of your gum with such an infection. I have an appointment today for a check up with the dentist and I will discuss this with him. My parents are in their 70`s and 80`s and they both have 80% of their teeth and certainly, my father only visited the dentist half a dozen times in his life!!! So it just shows!!!! And teeth shape and condition is hereditiary.

Anyway, best of luck in the Leaving Cert. Remember, everything passes, good and bad. It is just a matter of reading the paper on the day - it is all in your head and it is just a matter of drawing from the knowledge you know.
    Cheers

Advertisement