Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are my sums correct here

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Cyrus wrote:
    the thread had nothing to do with my purchase, i was more interested in seeing how the figures stacked up and it was for other people to use when making a decision, a lot of people pay a premium for diesel but only drive 10000 miles a year.

and to make a fair comparison lets compare the 335i vs the 335d

335d is nearly 2k more expensive but will save that in fuel over 2-3 years depending, both will have similar residuals as fuel type aside irish people have an averison to larger engines anyway.

the 335d is surely not any easier or more difficult to drive than the 335i, both have loads of power and loads of torque and are faster than each other in different situations.

for me id take the 335i, sportier sound and larger power band.

and the most people that want diesels that you refer to normally want the rocketship known as the passat 1.9tdi

id take a 335d if someone wanted to give me one tho!!!

Well I don't think there is any argument based on lower mileage, unless the cars have the same initial cost.
    Also, as I said already, if this is purely a financial decision, then residuals must be considered.

I have no real personal experience of the 1.9tdi in the passat, and I share your sentiment that its 'rocketship' status does often seem exaggerated.

As for the purpose of this thread informing the masses about the pros and cons of petrol and diesel, you should consider that the most people would not be able to pick up, or be interested in the advantages you consider a petrol have as both are soley related to sporty driving, which is not everyones cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

So to summarise !

Petrol
    Pros -
    better sound
    smoother engine
    Cheaper to buy
    Possibly faster if you drive flat out all the time.

Cons -
    higher depreciation
    higher fuel consumption
    Need to be kept on the boil to extract performance
    People with diesel cars asking you how many MPG you get.

Diesel
    Pros -
    Less fuel consumption
    Quicker & more relaxed in most everyday driving situations
    lower depreciation

Cons -
    Noise - 4pots bad 6 pots not so bad
    more expensive to buy
    Horrible diesel smell
    People with petrol cars telling you their car is quicker round a track!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you forgot the horrible diesel smell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Cyrus wrote:
    you forgot the horrible diesel smell ;)

My pet hate :D

Why is it that the pump always has a lot of residue on it, the smell off my hand after filling up with diesel is horrible, stinks out the car momentarily!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

edited!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

cyborg wrote:
    So to summarise !

Petrol
    Pros -
    better sound
    smoother engine
    Cheaper to buy
    Possibly faster if you drive flat out all the time.
    Larger rev band

Cons -
    higher depreciation
    higher fuel consumption
    Need to be kept on the boil to extract performance
    People with diesel cars asking you how many MPG you get.

Diesel
    Pros -
    Less fuel consumption
    Quicker & more relaxed in most everyday driving situations
    lower depreciation

Cons -
    Noise - 4pots bad 6 pots not so bad
    more expensive to buy
    Horrible diesel smell
    People with petrol cars telling you their car is quicker round a track!
    Additional petrol pros:
    More responsive
    Lighter engine
    Better specific output
    Quicker when all the rev band is used.

Additional diesel pros:
    Better for the environment (less CO2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

popcorn4jj.gif

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

galwaytt wrote:
    Naturally, stats on paper aint what it's about.........

That's it. It is far harder to do 0-100km/h anywhere near the official figures in a petrol car compared to a modern diesel. Why? Because in a diesel you're nearly always in the max torque range even just before upshifting and just after downshifting. It takes a pro to get it right in a petrol. Us non-pros need a diesel or if we go petrol, we need an automatic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you drive by holding each gear to the red line a diesel will DISGUST you.

If you are a more sedate driver, who only uses the power when needed they a diesel will reward you by giving about 20mpg over its equivalent petrol, have more power on demand in higher gears, hold its value better, and hopefully do 200k miles without needing any money spent on it.

(Incidentally I got my car NCTed last week. Its soot was only 10% of the maximum allowable!)

Advertisement