Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tracking Rod

Options
  • 22-05-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all, I clipped a kerb at low speed the other day. Clipped the front wheel on passenger side. Didn't seem to be a large clip. Car immediately felt strange, initially thought I had a puncture. Car noticalby veers to left when I let go of the steering wheel.

Brought it to a local small garage and guy told me that it was very difficult to knock tracking off . He asked me to drive towards him whilst keeping the steering wheel completely straight which I did. My worry is how he decided what the problem is. He stuck his fingers in the gap between the edge of the tyre closest to the front of the car and the wheel arch. He repeated the same process on the other side of the car and said that the distance between the wheel and arch on the drivers side was 2 fingers thick but he could fit 3 and a half fingers on the side I had hit the kerb with. He said that I had bent the tracking rod and that he'd get me a second hand one.

Could anyone tell me if this sounds right as he didn't really assess the rod too closely. I only bought the car in March (its an early 98 Golf) but it looks as if the wing on the drivers side took a slight hit before so this may account for the difference in space between the 2 wheels rather than the tracking rod?

Could it just be that the tracking is off? Could anyone recommend somewhere around Ballyfermot / Lucan where I could get it checked? Am willing to travel to good garage.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

try atlas tyres on the kylemore road tell them what happened book it in with them to have a look at it and they will ring you with whats wrong and a price to fix it and when it will be ready to be picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Any good tyre depot should be able to check this for you a bit more scientifically with proper equipment. I'm not saying the diagnosis won't be the same but even if your man puts in another part it will have to be adjusted properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

What he did is a quick way to test if the track control rod/arm/wishbone is bent. It doesn't have anything to do with the adjustment of the tracking. The best way for you to figure if something has bent is to take a piece of string with a knot in it and get someone to hold this to the very centre of the rear wheel/hubcap on the rear whilst you do the same to the front.

Ensure the wheels are pointing straight ahead, or as straight as you can, and you mark the string. Then repeat on the other side. They should be the same length. You may not be able to spot the damage by looking at the wishbone as they are generally of curved pressed steel and its hard to see slight damage.

If they are not the same, get a new wishbone for the short side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Squawk

Thanks for the advice guys :) Really appreciate it!

Advertisement