Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give us a bit of respect Anti

Options
  • 22-05-2007 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I've been around long enough to know when someone is ****ing about with bids. So I don't think I would mess about either.

Take back the warning and remove my post please.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=24094

Put this is the feedback forum because I wasn't impressed with the moderation of the Computer Hardware section of adverts.ie
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The seller did state the price for the projector and your bids where no where near. Fair enough if you make 1 low bid but you made a few.

The mod was right to warn you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Anti was spot on, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I also agree with Anti's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

There was a lot of confusion about the price of the projector. He stated an outrages price and then falsely advertised it. Then after finding out that he its falsely advertised he is still willing to keep the false advertisement up.

I genuinely thought that it's possible to pick up a cheap second hand projector for near 300 euro. Somone posted 250 euro and turned me off bidding against him. Fair enough, but I prefere to start low and work my way up to what Im willing to pay for it.

I just thought that the mod should of just stayed out when obviously I got the ball rolling on the bidding on the projector and how the bid, although quite low, was not taking the piss and could easily be dismissed by the seller in favour of a higher offer.

So you guys disagree with this? Or maybe agree with it but still think I deserved to be threatened with being banned because the seller didn't like my bid?

The seller refused your original bid and stated very clearly that he had given a price. Its obvious to anyone with half a brain that he was looking for that price. You then went on to offer another bid much lower than his desired amount. You also gave backchat to the mod which is a no-no.

Did you report the seller when he "falsely advertised it"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The seller is entitled to charge whatever he wants for the projector. If you don't want to pay it, don't bid. You made a low bid - fair enough - and the seller rejected it out of hand. You upped your bid by a proportionally tiny amount in what I (as a neutral) thought was just an attempt to highlight that you felt the price was too high. Another user expressed his annoyance at that. Anti gave you a very mild warning and told you to cop on.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You weren't banned, Anti just gave you a warning. I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You were making offers less than a fifth of what the asking price was. That's just pointless and annoying, it doesn't matter if it was falsely advertised (i.e. you should have either queried the description or better reported it if you thought it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Anti's warning. You were taking the piss imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

mickey taking aside, is adverts.ie monitored for overinflated prices? (ive never used it so im just asking the question)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You're upset because you were given a valid warning?

Anti, good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I don't see a problem here...

Two low offers in sequence like that can be seen as thread-spoiling, and thus bannable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Anti for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anti > you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think Anti's still banned from feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I thought and expected it to be upped at 400 euro.

So 135 euro for a starting bid isnt bad. Remember folks, its bidding game, not a first and last offer.

So starting the bid at the 33% mark of the price is now bannable? I'll make sure to warn others about this.. :rolleyes:

Since it was outrageously overpriced and there is nothing Anti could of done about that then I agree. Yeah its worth the warning I guess. But nothing was said about the over pricing or false advertisement and it certainly wasn't taken in account.

Putting something up for sale for more than whats it is new is almost insulting to us boardsies :D

Well fair play for seeing why the warning was issued, Anti is a decent bloke.

If you still have an issue with the asking price etc send Anti a PM, he's not going to hold this thread against you I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I thought and expected it to be upped at 400 euro.

So 135 euro for a starting bid isnt bad. Remember folks, its bidding game, not a first and last offer.

So starting the bid at the 33% mark of the price is now bannable? I'll make sure to warn others about this.. :rolleyes:

You where not banned.
    Since it was outrageously overpriced and there is nothing Anti could of done about that then I agree. Yeah its worth the warning I guess. But nothing was said about the over pricing or false advertisement and it certainly wasn't taken in account.

Do you walk into a store and start making offers on goods you feel are over priced? too expensive, then don't buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Boston wrote:
    You where not banned.

Do you walk into a store and start making offers on goods you feel are over priced? too expensive, then don't buy.

retailers are monitored by and office of consumer affairs and the competition authority among others.

faceman wrote:
    retailers are monitored by and office of consumer affairs and the competition authority among others.

So Blackwizard see himself as some form of price watch dog on boards.ie consumer issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Hey, Sorry i have to post under herself's account. But it appears Dev has forgot to lift my ban ;)

As 6th said i have no hard feelings towards you, and i have answered your posts in other threads. I warned you because offering to pay 100€ for something worth 5 times that was just ridiculous, and i bet you know that.

But no harm done, no tears or blood spilled.

-Anti.

p.s as far as it being overpriced. it is actually worth 500 notes brand new. so comming in at 20% of retail ( your original offer of 100€ ) And as for the false advertising, he was in a way right. He probably didnt know that the resolution was upscaled and not native. But he was clearly corrected by others before i could get to it.

Boston wrote:
    So Blackwizard see himself as some form of price watch dog on boards.ie consumer issues.

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

faceman wrote:
    what?

Sums up my thoughts on that post too!

If he doesn't like the price he should bid on it. It was a clear attempt at thread spoiling. He never mentioned the "false advertising" in that thread. The seller has a right to ask for what ever he feels is fair, and the buyer has the right not to meet his offer. That is my point. This guy isn't the consumer watch dog for boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Blackwizard, lowball offers are not held in good light by anyone, least of all the seller.
    Don't throw your toys out of your pram just because you got pulled up

If you have an issue on adverts.ie then I suggest you learn where the Report Post button is.

And as far as I'm aware, Anti does not mod any section of adverts.ie, therefore his warning was as a user - not mod :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Boston wrote:
    If he doesn't like the price he should bid on it.

Sums up this thread nicely.......... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Anti wrote:
    But it appears Dev has forgot to lift my ban ;)

I was always under the impression one had to pm the banner with cap in hand and apologise for past mistakes and promise not to make them again for a ban to be lifted, or is it a different process for mods ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

oleras wrote:
    I was always under the impression one had to pm the banner with cap in hand and apologise for past mistakes and promise not to make them again for a ban to be lifted, or is it a different process for mods ?

No, same process applies, Anti was given a ban of 3 weeks if my memory serves me, so he now has to PM the mod and ask for the ban to be lifted - more of a reminder than anything else afaik.

Anti has the same privileges in feedback as any other user. The only ones with mod privileges are the ones listed in the bottom right hand corner of the main page - forum mods - in feedback that's Dev, Cloud and Regi (all admins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

oleras wrote:

If only..If only :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It really doesnt register with me if the user is a mod. Its rare I have to ban mods but we have and will. Only last week a mod was demodded for being thick in his own forum.
    I use the time-out for site-bans so I dont have to do anything subsequently, I rarely ban from forums because the mods look after that pretty well. Can't recall what I kicked Anti for but someone must have taken pity on him as he's back :P

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement